Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 19:45   #16

Boat: Sea Ray Sundancer 300
Re: Strictly Sail Chicago

We went a few years ago. Colder than a witch's belt buckle.

The show was decent, better than local (Cincinnati) show.

We did buy advance tickets, a family pack??? It included a pretty decent goody bag.
Bud man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 20:22   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Good Life View Post
Well, I booked the room at the Sheraton and I have until the week of to cancel at no charge so as long as weather permits I'm going to check it out!
Many of the hotels have shuttles. We were close enough to walk so no parking problems on Navy Pier. There is usually an ice sculpture contest at the south end as you walk in. Be sure to starve yourself and go to the Brazilian Restaurant for dinner.

We have gone a couple of times. As noted above, check off the programs you want to see. Storm Tactics is a good one; Pardey's lectures are good. If you have a shopping list bring it in detail. Do all of your hunting and costing before you go. Plan to buy a mess of stuff. We paid for both trips outright by the savings. You may get to have stuff shipped to you and avoid sales taxes. Huge savings can be had on stuff you've never seen in Oklahoma. If you plan new sails, bring all measurements and get the bidding war going. There will probably be 5 sail makers. We bought our winter cover there for 3000 less than the best local price we could get and the guy came to Muskegon to measure the boat.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 20:48   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

BTW. The admiral reminded me that if you do your hotel booking through Strictly Sail you will find the best rate, at a cooperating hotel; with hotel parking included; shuttle etc.

Also, some vendors and marina operators will comp show tickets to you. This all adds up.
Old 04-01-2014, 23:58   #19

Awesome guys! I got the Sheraton for 95 a night, the bad part is $60 a night for self parking!!! But, they are offering half price valet at $28 plus tips which still sounds insane but what do I know...
The Good Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:41   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We were able two years ago to get the car park for free using the show site to book using their participating hotels. The deal is that you park on arrival and get it out when you leave. Walk or take shuttles everywhere else. The show sends a shuttle around to participating hotels. Get your comp tickets from your local marine retailer before you go to Chicago. You might also get lucky and find deals on tickets on line.

Parking in Chicago is a racket. Standard hotel charge is about 55 per night. If you can get a 28 charge good for all weekend with no check-out that would be good. Everything is negotiable.

Chicago | Texas de Brazil Don't forget the eating extravaganza at this place. Its only a few blocks from Navy Pier. Don't eat anything all day! This place will stuff you like momma. Food and entertainment value is high.

If you can stay extra days, Chicago has great public museums, planetarium, Shedd aquarium, Art Museum. Free days at museum of Science & Industry Museum of Science and Industry | Free Days Probably discount tickets on line if you look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CHICAGO BRAZIL REST.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	73345  
Old 07-01-2014, 06:20   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Good Life View Post
Has anyone been to this show and is it worth driving to from Oklahoma?
We've been to a couple but it's just a 30 minute drive for us. I wouldn't drive more than a couple of hours to attend. The show itself is okay but there are very few boats. We might spend a few hours there at most and in that time can pretty much see all that we want.

Chicago in January isn't a lot of fun. It's -10 here now but that's unusual. But even when it's a normal winter, taking in Chicago has many limitations that aren't here during summer.

An in-water show was started here a couple of years ago. It's about the same as Strictly Sail in terms of boats but there's a lot more to do. Last year we did a Discovery outing. For the total cost of $25/ea we got admission to the show and a 3-hour sail on Lake Michigan. Strictly Sail can't compete with that. Chicago is so much better in the summer.

Just my two cents...
Julie Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 19:09   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If the summer program offers the merchandise savings it might be good. In the summer we are too busy sailing to go to a boat show. The dead of winter is good for us since there is nothing else to do but shovel white crap. The worth of the show depends on your plans. If you have a long shopping list of hardware and you want to attend the lectures, then it is worth it and can even pay straight up in savings. If you expect the show to be entertainment alone - its expensive. If you want to also see the other offerings of Chicago - better. AND you are right - very few boats to see.

Three years ago there were ice boats on display - very cool.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P2120013.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	410.0 KB
ID:	73528   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2120014.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	394.3 KB
ID:	73529  

Name:	P2120015.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	419.8 KB
ID:	73530   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2120016.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	421.9 KB
ID:	73531  

Old 15-01-2014, 09:04   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

just got this link:

colleen@fairmontchicago.ccsend.com

Fairmont Chicago, Millennium Park

The Fairmont Chicago, Millennium Park is extending a special promotional package rate to all Strictly Sail Chicago exhibitors and attendees. Enjoy luxurious accommodations for two, late check-out of 5pm, special discounts on food, beverages and parking and unparalleled convenience to the show's location at Navy Pier - all for just $119 per night.

Old 15-01-2014, 10:13   #24

Boat: Catalina 34

I've been to this show several times and have stayed at both the Fairmont and the Sheraton. The Fairmont is much nicer, IMHO. It's a bit further from the show, but if you use the shuttle it won't matter. Both have easy access to Michigan Ave. if you're into shopping and restaurants. I think the $119/night cost at the Fairmont includes parking, so the cost between the two is very similar. The parking garage and process at the Sheraton made us uncomfortable. They kept trying to upsell us to another lot for better car access. We also had to wait quite a while to get the car when we checked out. No such issues at the Fairmont.

The show itself is a little ho-hum, but at least provides something sailing related to do on late January weekend in the Great Lakes. If you've been more than once, the boats and vendors get repetitive. The seminars/speakers/classes are where the real value is, if you're into that sort of thing. We've also occasionally found good deals on gear and been able to haggle some too.

We'll be attending again this year. I've got an extra ticket I can mail to anyone who needs one. If you're interested, PM me or contact me via my website below my signature.
Old 18-01-2014, 17:33   #25

Anyone happen to get a copy of John Neal's Featured Offshore Boat List they could send me?

Thks
rhearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 20:20   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhearn View Post
Anyone happen to get a copy of John Neal's Featured Offshore Boat List they could send me?

Thks
It is on their website. Google Mahina Expeditions.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
jrambo316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 21:11   #27

Thks, I should have been clearer. On the website is their list of suitable offshore boats. At the boat show he has a Feature Sheet handout that lists a selection of these that are currently on the market. That's the info I'm looking for.
rhearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail