Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2020, 04:06   #1

Boat: Bristol 27
Still Working (and winning) at Age 82

There's lots of talk here on CF about retirement. It's a tough decision for some of us.

Here's a story about a guy that's a "hands on" horse trainer still working at age 82.

Pretty amazing considering the hours he has to put in.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...er-tiz-the-law

Old 22-06-2020, 05:50   #2

Re: Still Working (and winning) at Age 82

It's like they say, "If you have a job that you love, then you never really have to work a day in your life."

Of course, most of us don't end up in a job that we love that much. So we look forward to retirement. January of next year is when I am planning to retire.
Old 22-06-2020, 06:40   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
It's like they say, "If you have a job that you love, then you never really have to work a day in your life."

Of course, most of us don't end up in a job that we love that much. So we look forward to retirement. January of next year is when I am planning to retire.
About how old will you be when you retire?

And yeah, I think this guy loves his job.

Old 22-06-2020, 07:02   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

If your job is critical to who you are, and what you do, then retirement can be a psychological challenge. People who have a life outside of work find it easier to make the transition.
Old 22-06-2020, 12:33   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
About how old will you be when you retire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
People who have a life outside of work find it easier to make the transition.
Yep. That, too.
Old 22-06-2020, 12:48   #6

I've been unemployed for a while, and COVID-19 hasn't exactly helped, but we're on the cusp of retirement so unemployment isn't really a hardship. Just a pinch on the toy budget.

Every time I look at a job ad and they gush on about "do you love to code?","are you a team player?", "we work hard but we also play hard" etc etc ... my stomach hurts. I'd been planning for over 10 years to transition into some marine work (got certified, worked some summers, made contacts, etc) but that isn't exactly the best move right now for an old guy either.

So... I could actually BE retired, just undeclared yet. Oh well. There's a boat that needs sailing, some bikes demanding to be ridden, and on Wednesday I'm helping my brother-in-law put up a fence.
Old 22-06-2020, 13:19   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

I retired at 35. So I no longer have this problem.

The only problem I seem to have is how to fund my lifestyle.

As people say: do what you love, then there is no work-life dychotomy.

Too bad many people can't afford this. I think the world would be a much nicer place then.

b.
Old 22-06-2020, 15:13   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
...Every time I look at a job ad and they gush on about "do you love to code?","are you a team player?", "we work hard but we also play hard" etc etc ... my stomach hurts. I'd been planning for over 10 years to transition into some marine work (got certified, worked some summers, made contacts, etc) but that isn't exactly the best move right now for an old guy either.
Yup ... I read those kinds of ads and I just wanna puke. Modern management bafflegab! .

The whole 'work till you can retire' ethos has always struck me as crazy. And it's no wonder so many people are afraid, or fail, at being retired. If you've never lived solely on your own terms, the transition must be incredibly stressful.

As with anything, I think practice makes perfect. So finding ways to ease out of work, instead of making a sudden shift at 65, likely leads to better outcomes.
Old 22-06-2020, 15:32   #9

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Seemingly in NZ, working to advanced age is not unusual and those that do mostly do so by choice, not by need.

I retired at 67, now 71 and haven’t missed regular employment for even one minute. And all CV-19 lockdown carry-on has had only a positive effect on me - gave me plenty of time in the workshop to finish off a myriad of small projects.

The basic concept of retirement doesn’t present me with any problems (nothing to do, bored with life, all those roadblocks) but as someone said up-thread, funding “toys” with no constant revenue stream is a problem. We’re not blessed with great wealth so our budgets are OK for normal living but an significant automotive repair or a new anchor chain presents a challenge to the budget.

So I do small building jobs, renovation projects and boat maintenance for those with either money or no idea. That brings in most of the money I need to keep the toys budget running. Logic says that by the time I’m too old for this casual employment, I’ll also be too old for any distance voyaging.
Old 22-06-2020, 16:05   #10

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

My father and step mother were self employed and worked six days a week for many years. My dad was always saying he enjoyed his work so much that he was in no rush to retire. He eventually retired at 72 and she at 73 with more money than you could poke a stick at. They did the usual retiree things. For three years. The stepmother got dementia (she was showing signs in the latter stages of her working career) and that was basically the end of that.

My dad now deeply regrets not retiring earlier. Sometimes it's probably more the fear or just plain ignorance of moving on to something new and different that keeps people chained to their desks.
Old 22-06-2020, 20:06   #11

Old 23-06-2020, 03:09   #12

I'm still of the opinion that it can be good to work at least until you are age 70 or so if your job challenges you mentally and allows you the time to enjoy your hobbies. (and you are still in good enough health and able to do the job)

I have just seen too many people that retired early or even at age 65 and begin to slow down and to deteriorate somewhat soon after.

That may just be a fact of life due to aging or it could be because of ones habits

I think being busy and using your body are key and being outside as much as possible.

Also having some interest in your job and those you work with helps

I also think working keeps you mentally strong.

This guy Barclay Tagg appears to totally enjoy what he does. He also appears to be in very good shape for a man in his 80's

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...lkq-story.html
Old 23-06-2020, 04:22   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I'm still of the opinion that it can be good to work at least until you are age 70 or so if your job challenges you mentally and allows you the time to enjoy your hobbies. (and you are still in good enough health and able to do the job)

I have just seen too many people that retired early or even at age 65 and begin to slow down and to deteriorate somewhat soon after.

That may just be a fact of life due to aging or it could be because of ones habits

I think being busy and using your body are key and being outside as much as possible.

Also having some interest in your job and those you work with helps

I also think working keeps you mentally strong.

This guy Barclay Tagg appears to totally enjoy what he does. He also appears to be in very good shape for a man in his 80's

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...lkq-story.html

There's no single right answer for everyone. If the best way (or the only way) for someone to remain mentally and physically fit is to remain on the job, then that is probably best.

Evidence and experience shows that those who have active, engaging lives outside of income-earning activities tend to be the ones who do well in retirement. Those whose lives revolve around 'work' tend to struggle.

BTW, I keep putting 'work' in single quotes to emphasis that successful retires are people who still do plenty of work. The only difference is that they shift to more self-directed activities, instead of marching to someone else's drum beat. But learning how to do this can be hard for some. Especially if you've never done it. This is why many experts suggest easing into retirement. Learn how to remain mentally and physically engaged outside of 'work'.

Of course the main reason people are retiring later is due to economics. With the shift away from guaranteed income pensions (or indeed any pension), stagnated wages (for most), and increasing costs, most people have no choice but to keep working. It is the privileged few who have any real choice.
Old 23-06-2020, 04:38   #14

All the guys I know who can afford to retire but are still working past 70...they really don't have any life outside of work.

Talk about staying engaged and mentally active usually presumes the old idea of retirement being...sitting on a rocking chair on the front porch and watching the world go by. If that's your plan, then you probably are better off staying at work.
Old 23-06-2020, 05:05   #15

I think there can be a balance between the two. I retired at 43 after an an opportunity to exit a successful business I owned popped up unexpectedly. That was 6 years ago now, initially I thought I’d take a year break and then buy another business and do it all over again. All that changed after a 2 months, I was returning from a snowboarding trip to China to go look at a business, and while in the customs line I looked around and everyone in line was a middle aged dude, over weight, disheveled, and not one smile...it was there that I asked myself why in the hell would I spend one more day making money I don’t need and will just end up donating to charity one day. I then learned to sail, met the woman of my dreams and married her (because I was doing what I love), and have seen the green flash while sailing in both hemispheres.

I also a couple of years ago started a consulting business in the industry I was an expert in before. Now I can dabble in projects and work at my pace and am free to travel at my leisure. It’s fun to interact with people professionally, to be mentally challenged, and help solve problems. Working 80 hours a month now it fully funds a six figure budget, and I’m saving an additional six figures, not touching the nest egg that just keeps growing. So yes, you can do both and have a great life, but I totally get those who just got burnt out in a career they loved or it’s just time to hang it up. At some point we are planning to be so far off the grid even a couple a phone calls a week won’t be feasible!
Closed Thread

Tags
work