Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2020, 12:05   #121

Re: Still Working (and winning) at Age 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegu Club View Post
...what most folk don’t understand is that all debt is bad...
I have to disagree with that. Debt is a tool. It is neither good nor bad, in and of itself. What you do with it can make it beneficial, or detrimental, to your financial well-being.

The problem is that about 90% of the people out there use it in ways that are detrimental to their financial well-being. Mainly, I think, because they do not understand the difference between beneficial and detrimental uses of it.

If you, personally, do not like debt, and want to remain free of it, then more power to you. I would never criticize that decision. In fact, at the moment my wife and I are completely debt free. Paid off our home mortgage a few months ago; haven't had a car loan, or carried a credit card balance, in decades.

But if the circumstances present themselves in the future, where we can use debt carefully and properly to improve our situation, then we will. I look at debt a little bit like fire -- used properly it can provide great benefits, but misused it can turn your entire life to ashes!

denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 12:55   #122

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
This, to me, is the single most important part of financial planning. Stay out of debt. Without debt you are beholden to no one. You are free(er) to live a life of your own choosing.

My view is slavery has never ended. It's just morphed over the centuries in form. The rich and powerful have always found ways to shackle the poor and powerless. Not everyone has the same ability to resist this enslavement, but some of us are lucky and skillful enough to be able to do so.
This is very true. The majority of the population slaves away to fund the life style of a minority that are in control. Therefore, the longer you work, the better citizen you are. And being forced to have two incomes in a family is a part of it (suddenly, the count of people growing wealth for their masters doubles).
Debt is one of the tools of keeping people enslaved, but not the most popular tool these days. It is being effectively replaced by the healthcare costs. Out of so many measures put in place to prevent people to freely live their own lives, it is becoming the most promising one.

Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 15:01   #123

Reality is most people have no idea what is truly important, and by the time they figure it out its to late. Less is more
Bunji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 15:21   #124

Boat: B27

Once again, this thread isn't about those that plan their whole lives to retire early and save for that.

It's about those that can retire early, but choose not to like 82 year old Barclay Tagg.

Many of us have zero debt and can retire with less.

But being stuck at anchor days on end can get really boring and mind numbing. Or doing little and not spending much isn't appealing to some of us

Staying mentally and physically healthy may be more important than retirement.......
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 15:58   #125

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
...Staying mentally and physically healthy may be more important than retirement.......

It's entirely up to you whether these two are incompatible.
Old 29-06-2020, 17:18   #126

Boat: a sailing boat

Another beautiful piece of financial ideology is:

"spend less than you make"

Alas. This only works for those of you in the expiring middle class and for the rich. People in the lower castes nearly always spend just as much as they have (often supplement either by social input (lower low castes) or by various forms of credit (upper low castes).

It is truly sad that we have so much beautiful and romantic philosophy produced in utter disconnect from the stark reality.

It is truly sad too that this attitude is further perpetrated by some who insist that financing is cheaper than proper cash and that you must own to enjoy.

In fact, nobody should own bigger yachts. These should be rented. We would have cleaner environment, marinas less full and fewer sailors in debt.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 17:24   #127

Quote:
It's entirely up to you whether these two are incompatible.

Mike,

If one waits too long ... they are !!!

+Love,
barnakiel
Old 29-06-2020, 18:03   #128

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
In fact, nobody should own bigger yachts...
Uh, I have a problem with that statement. The word "should'. It sounds an awful lot like, "Thou Shalt not own bigger yachts..."

Which God set down that commandment?

And if not God, then who do we think we are making that sort of declaration?

OK, I am pretty much against the amount of inequality that exists now but it's one thing to say "let's work to reduce inequality" and quite another to say that even if they have the money, they shouldn't own big yachts.

And OK, my yacht is bigger than half of the boats around me. Should I not own this yacht because it is bigger? Absurd, you say, of course you didn't mean me, Fred, my yacht is not too big. How about Dockhead's of Jedi's.

Where do you draw the line?

No I don't get that argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
Out of so many measures put in place to prevent people to freely live their own lives, it is becoming the most promising one.
I'm not going for this one either. The semantics of that sentence imply ("put in place") that some one or some group did it to us (the rest of us), on purpose. But nope, there is no big conspiracy by some group of "Masters" who are doing this to us to prevent us from freely living our lives.

Yeah, there is an economic system and a social system that has allowed a few to become very wealthy and the rest of us to struggle. WE need to do something about that, other than simply confiscate their money.

But that system has been built by a lot of greedy people who just wanted more for themselves, and us not paying attention, and the stupidest of all, the politicians who can't do much of anything and who have allowed a system where wealthy can influence them into that benefits them. There was no intent anywhere to prevent us from freely living our lives.

Geez, it's bad but it ain't no conspiracy.
wingssail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 18:16   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak08820 View Post
So, how do you deal with the problem - "how to fund my lifestyle"? I guess everyone has that problem and prevent them from retiring. How did you retire at 35?

I did not have that problem when I retired.

I simply stopped working and started sailing.

As I do not have 90% of the costs of living other people have, I only need maybe 5% of the money other people need.

The way I retired is not recommended for most, as we were raised to believe in many concepts that perpetrate the society but may/will render some individuals utterly unhappy. That was me.

So I let those who are happy working do the work.

The problem I do have is of the other kind: what to do after retirement. I mean, it is pretty boring to do nothing productive in the long term. To be on the sidelines of the mainstream.

Not everybody can retire early. Not everybody should.

But when one can and does not then it sort of like I understand the work this person does is the best thing in their life. So it is not a job anymore. So there is nothing to retire from.

barnakiel
Old 29-06-2020, 18:20   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Uh, I have a problem with that statement.

Yep. Me too!

Every time I carelessly utter this one in presence of Americains.

;-)
b.
Old 29-06-2020, 18:31   #131

Quote:

(...)

My view is slavery has never ended. It's just morphed over the centuries in form. The rich and powerful have always found ways to shackle the poor and powerless. Not everyone has the same ability to resist this enslavement, but some of us are lucky and skillful enough to be able to do so.

In my case it was 'lucky'.

My favourite rhum is Shrubb Creole and it is sweet - with vanilla and citrus rind. What do you drink?

I invite.

We hope to be in the Caribbean winter 2020/-21. Any chance we meet up there?

barnakiel
Old 29-06-2020, 19:09   #132

Quote:
In my case it was 'lucky'.
In my case, mostly luck. But I have also made some clear and conscious choices that allow me to live well without needing a lot.

Quote:
My favourite rhum is Shrubb Creole and it is sweet - with vanilla and citrus rind. What do you drink?
Mostly interesting beer, but I'm an equal-opportunity drinker. When I'm feeling affluent I love a good single malt, or a fine Irish whisky. I've never got into rums much, but holding true to my heritage I'd have to choose Screech.

Quote:
I invite.

We hope to be in the Caribbean winter 2020/-21. Any chance we meet up there?
I would dearly love to take you up on that. Maybe someday, but I'm not done with Newfoundland and the north quite yet. I still have much of The Rock to explore. And that has to include some travels to Labrador, and perhaps Greenland.

After that, maybe we'll head south. Or maybe by then climate change will have made the NW Passage even more doable than it already is. I'm itchin' to get over to the PNW.

Don't suppose you plan to head north any time soon? Mi casa es tu casa.
Old 29-06-2020, 19:28   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Here's a story about a guy that's a "hands on" horse trainer still working at age 82.

Pretty amazing...]
I'll be amazed when the winning horse is 82.

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 19:29   #134

Quote:

I've never got into rums much, but holding true to my heritage I'd have to choose Screech.

Don't suppose you plan to head north any time soon? Mi casa es tu casa.

Mike,

Very unfortunately, our craft is not the kind that would take to the ice very well. There is only some 6mm (roughly 1/4 inch) of grp between us and the big blue sea ...

I did imagine (until today) that I knew quite something about rums. Ha! Now you brought out Screech! And they clearly say it has 200 years' tradition too. I am such an ignorant!

So while we may not meet yet in 2020 or-21, lets hope one day we will. And meanwhile, we will always drink to your (plural, you&your mate, and your brave ship) health, while tucked comfortably in a Caribbean (or Canarian) anchorage! ;-)

barnakiel
Old 29-06-2020, 19:38   #135

Quote:
...So while we may not meet yet in 2020 or-21, lets hope one day we will. And meanwhile, we will always drink to your (plural, you&your mate, and your brave ship) health, while tucked comfortably in a Caribbean (or Canarian) anchorage! ;-)

Let's drink to that .

Tags
work