Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 06:31   #901
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: SSSSM - Part Deux

toradol sublingual and a amgic mexican medicine--nooo, not that kind of magic..lol...and i can actually MOVE my fingers...thumb not too good--it wiggles only--still a lil time---swollen badly--1/3 to elbow--better than was, but...... ty for cheering section--ye should have seen me trying to eat..LOL..
eu==am watching....i hope trouble repairs...
Old 05-09-2012, 07:13   #902
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
Awww. <insert blush here....we need more expressive smilies>

Shhhh..... for your eyes only: http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys-sex.php
Old 05-09-2012, 07:19   #903

lol--bookmarked it---ty--we need one with a vice with a hand in it being beaten--is how i feel..LOL..but is slight improvement from yesterday..i only came online for email and weather--lol.... go figger.....i have to watch my hand positioning... base of thumb is now localized and swollen ... but only 1/2 size of yesterday--it was BAD.....gooooooooood nti-inflammatories in mexico--without script...love it!! toradol sublingual--whoda figgered.....good stuf...mebbe by today i will be able to move my thumb instead fo wiggle only..LOL

btw--ever want to torture someone---base of thumbs --biiiiig time....
Old 06-09-2012, 06:26   #904

Back in the late 80s I began to think about sailing off to the south with a soulmate. I worked on getting my new boat ready for offshore and live aboard cruising as well as acquiring the skills necessary. It all took time... about 6 years or so from when I purchased the boat as a green as one could be. I was single and with no children at the time having divorced at the same time. That there wife was not the sailing soulmate among other mis matches. We learn.

There was no internet such as we have now... social networking or cruisers forum. I put up a few little ads on local bulletin boards and I think I ran an ad in the back of Cruising World if memory serves me. I got a few responses and one gal from CA actually flew to meet me in ME for a trial by fire at sea! It did not work out for multiple reasons. One of them was that she was intrigued by the idea of sailing off with a man.., but was completely clueless about sailing. One definitely needs a salty gal for this sort of thing... not a romantic one looking to tie a hitch.

I did take one gal from Montreal when I slipped the dock lines in 91 as part of my delivery crew... as I was not going to singlehand off to the Caribbean... not just yet. She was a nice gal, not a sailor, but a good sport and good cook but we didn't really connect beyond friendship. She eventually found work as a cook on some ship in St Maarten.

I met a number of women down in the Caribbean and several seemed right at the time. One French gal working in a restaurant in Bas Du Fort.. who turned out to have a drug problem.. YUCK. She was a beaut though. Another, a Norwegian woman I met on the quay in English Harbor when she approached me as I was clearing in in the Dockyard office. She had seen me sail in with two (german) women (I had met in St Maarten) who sat on the deck doing nothing as I docked at the Slipway. I suppose she was impressed (that I had two women... or that I docked solo?). She then asked me to sail her boat to the Canaries as she was needing crew. WHOA... A woman with a boat who needed to cross the ocean! We made a date and I said although I didn't think I could leave my own boat... I certainly would have a look see at her boat and help her get the trip together. The boat was recently launched after being stored down there for several years.

Her boat was a Swedish built Forgus 36.. but clearly not ready to make the passage. And could this woman handle her own boat? Turns out she had bought it with her husband and then divorced and they shared it 50-50. He took it to the Caribbean on his watch and she remained in the Canaries with her daughter and a job. The boat was damaged in a hurricane when it was stored. Now it was her watch.. the damaged spar replaced and she wanted to get it back the the Canaries to live aboard (and sail?)

The German ladies departed Shiva in Antigua and I invited the Norwegian to sail with me to see how she was as a sailor. After all she was intending to sail her boat across the Atlantic. She was not much of a sailor... but she could tie knots... and sew and cook. I think she could learn because she loved the idea and she was not afraid to do work on a boat. We had an affair and fell for me pretty hard. I could not see a future with her and her teenage daughter in the Canaries on her boat... and what would I do with Shiva? I got a mate to captain her boat with her back to Las Palmas and gave her my SSB radio which I installed so we could keep in touch. She didn't do too well on the crossing apparently... seasick and not getting on with the Captain. She implored me to visit her in the Canaries and so during hurricane season I sailed Shiva to CT and flew off to Spain and spend 4 months with her living on her boat and cruising the Canaries. We even got an apartment so her daughter could live with her as the boat was a bit small for a 3 including a teenager. We had fun... but I wanted to return to Shiva and the Caribbean. I did. A few weeks later she flew to NY and wanted to sail with me south. We did.

After some time she flew back to Spain because she had a daughter to be mother to. She found a local guy and forgot about me and I think. I was in Italy the next Hurricane season and decided to fly to the Canaries to visit her. She still had the boat the boyfriend - 15 yrs younger and was really a mess... now drinking and smoking. By the time I left she almost had a nervous breakdown and her family in Norway asked me to get her on a plane back to Oslo. I did. Not a happy ending for us. I think her daughter returned with her and she broke off with the guy and I don't know the fate of Necesse, her boat.

I eventually sailed back to NE met a landlubber lady and gave up the dream. We still have Shiva and I essentially singlehand with lovely company (who too often gets seasick and complains... too much tipping... too much smell of diesel fumes... too much wind... too hot... too cold... waves too big... other boats too close and so on. Life aboard with a land lubber. She's not interested in learning to sail... at all.

Such is life.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:41   #905

Boat: 1984 Sovereign 24

Hey defjef
how about you tell us your life story now! Lol....jk....so the moral of the story is its not easy for a ssssm? So.....if you find one, you'd better hand cuff em to the mast!
Old 06-09-2012, 07:20   #906

Agreed.....need to be able to live free or die....lol. i know a guy down here that is a liveaboard. he showed me his fl dl. his address said near the mantanzas bridge....and the city....no hull number...nothing....i said really? That's ok. he says he thinks the girl that helped him didn't know what she was doing. supposed to have hull number....guess that might make it hard for "someone " to find u
Old 06-09-2012, 07:44   #907

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
any more referrals to this topic will be removed by moderators. please cease and desist.
Anymore personal disputes that play out here will end in any parties taking part in them to be banned.

Enough is enough.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:38   #908

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Regular participants of this thread will notice it has gotten much shorter. I have cleaned up posts that were disruptive, or responded to the disruption.

This is a reminder that personal issues between members should not be discussed here in public. Future posts of that nature will be deleted, and should members persist, they will be given a 'time out' to cool off and reconsider their behavior.
Old 06-09-2012, 17:42   #909

thanks, guys-- now, back to our regularly scheduled topic----

how has your day been???? my paw only 1 and 1/2 normal size now, instead of more---- soooon....
Old 06-09-2012, 20:51   #910

Location: Currently on the HARD in Guaymas Mexico and staying in Phoenix, AZ
Boat: Columbia 45

Zee,
Sorry, but what actually happened to your hand? I couldn't figure out you formosianverbage...
Whatever it is/was, I hope you full recovery and never have it again.
Fair winds. Fairer customs agents!
Old 07-09-2012, 05:34   #911

hi lookoutnw--is dequervqains tendon synovitis.....partly encouraged by my underlying condition and much repetitive work as an rn in icu forever, now just happens--especially with any use....so i have to be careful.....but i am not..lol
Old 07-09-2012, 05:42   #912

Can we just call it formosianverbage....i thought that was funny
Old 07-09-2012, 05:49   #913

geee--they used to call it zeeglish...LOL
Old 07-09-2012, 05:54   #914

http://www.youtube.com/embed/k4J1P2j-JuY
Old 11-09-2012, 06:52   #915

ok hand update--is improving..yaaayyyy!!!! mebbe able to continue on in nov after all..YAAAAYYYY!!!!
(was wondering how i was gonna row one handed ...LOL)

btw--we have incoming who are merely desiring crew---i referred them to crew finder listings, we see what evolves.....
Closed Thread

Tags
paracelle