Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2011, 14:06   #121
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: SSSSM - Part Deux

naaaw-- just building up to the true meetings.....

dang gooood chiles relleno--yummmmmmmmmmyand waay toomuch foods for 50 pesos and today with agua de pina....they will have to make do until i meet up on the carib side------
i think i am gonna fall into th hole and buy 8000btu air conditioner.. or mebbe smaller-- doesnt have to cold me-- just take about 50 percent of the water out of the air and mebbe 2 degrees off hte heat. if is spozed to get more humid and more hot, then i am gonn a NEED omg i sed it-- an air cond. SO-- next week, off i go to electra and do test drives did say it-- of air conditioners for this boat....eeeps i m a gonna die i sed the bad word!!!
is actually quite warm with promises of some heat coming in the next coupla months.
Old 29-07-2011, 14:26   #122

Boat: Fantasia 35

Karen - I too am of the Danish persuasion. Raised on bread and butter. Used a butter bell to keep the sweet butter at room temperature. Here are a couple of related links:

Butter Bell Crocks for Storing Butter

Storing Butter and Cheese on a Boat | The Boat Galley

And, before someone brings up the health issue -- Danes have evolved to thrive on a high dairy fat diet. So, even though I am nearly 67, the doc's say my arteries are in great shape. YMMV.

Old 29-07-2011, 14:33   #123

oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh, viking ssailor--ye twanged my heart.
is truth that
butter is better for ye than is coconut oil and palm oil and alladat stuff n bs they put into FAKE doesnt taste decent nonbutter. so i use real butter and i use extra virgin olive oil.
speaking of dane-- i was also taught eggs..we ate them a lot. i am old. i aint ded yet. dont even have a heart, or condition of one. and my blood flows as good as it is gonna......
geez--sometimes i even eat a lot of bacon. yummmmmmmm. but i havent gotten into the meats in mexico yet-- still working on fish and chiles relleno

butter bell sounds like a great idea for butter storage and separating--until i have an air conditioner--(uhh--oops)--been dreaming if 50 percent humidity instead of 80+..LOL
Old 29-07-2011, 14:48   #124

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

Zee, when the heat index here got to 115, I couldn't stand it anymore and bought a 7K btu poteble AC at Home depot for $249.00' It fits under the companioway ladder and draws 7 amps. Uses the water it removes to cool the condenser coils so liilte to drain to the bilge. I keep the door to the forward cabin shut and the thing keeps it comfortable until it hits about 95 outide. Then it starts to cycle and it's just bareable instead of comfortable on board. A larger unit would not fit in the space under the ladder, too wide. Hope this info helps.
Old 29-07-2011, 14:53   #125

what brand was it? do they still have it? would they have it in mexico??i unnerstan the lg(brand) here in electra(a store) is about 200 dollars for 8kbtu--but i dunno iffn it will install like that you describe--ii like that. is only place i can figger to place the devil.
Old 29-07-2011, 15:00   #126

Boat: Fantasia 35

Karen, I did a couple of years cruisin' Mexico in the late '80s. For sure the heat and humidity does take some getting use to. Make sure you drink at least 2 or 3L of water per day. This includes drinking some during the night. Also, adding a squeeze of lime to the water helps keep your mouth moist. And, try not to drink cold stuff. I think it confuses the body about what it's temperature should be. I still drink warm beer and soda without ice. Also, swim and shower to your hearts content. - Paul

Old 29-07-2011, 15:07   #127

I have the LG. Fits nicely under the ladder, but I had to scrounge some blocks to sit it on to get it high enough to drsin to the bilge. The pan under it fills with water sometimes and it shuts down, so I took the plug out of it and connected a hose to the bilge. I leave the dog on board sometimes when I have to run somewhere and I don't want to chance it shutting off while I'm gone cause the pan is full.
You will need to run the exhaust hose (about like a 6" hose from a clothes dryer) outside. I ran mine out through the forward wall in my cockpit well, but yours is probably finished so you'd have to figure another route for the exhaust hose. They only give you 72" of hose to work with. Maybe leave one of the doors to the compaioway open and build a temporary with plywood or something to put the hose through.
Old 29-07-2011, 15:12   #128

oh yeah--is 2-3 gallon per day time,now--- consider 250 cc from night breathing. double or triple that for daytime breathing\. this is important in hot places.
add 250 cc per day of sweat, also night as is not gone and ye do sweat at night here...
triple,even quadruple that to make minimum replacement--less than that i feel bad. so i drink LOT.. i think i actually drink 1-/2 gal per day and i should do 2 gal-2 1/2
we figgered 4:1 in er for rehydration orally and 2-3 :1 for maintenance.
i love the limes here--- niiice ones..like key limes but different....
looove my hose with the shower nozzle!!!! i can stand on dock in skimpies and shower as long as i want!!!!! and as many times!!!!
Old 29-07-2011, 15:41   #129
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

SaltyMonkey had Barbacuo Chickeno Breasto for lunch. Oh my yum!
Old 29-07-2011, 17:28   #130

vintagery--i was thinkin that might be an option-- a hose to the bilge---i like it... ty!!!
smb-- sounds gooood...
Old 29-07-2011, 18:39   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageray View Post
Wish I had a damn woman on here so she could fix something to eat and I couild clean up, eat and then relax while she washed the dishes.
I recognized the joke before it was finished, but understand from my own missed humor, the need to explain that you were just kidding. Regardless, so anti-cliche it was hilarious.
Old 29-07-2011, 18:54   #132

lg has 2 different kinds of smallies for air cond-- a portable 7000btu and a 6000 btu window unit..now i have to see which i can find her in maz..both in same price range.
which is better--window unit or portable? window unit i have ti find a place for, portable may fit into main saloon....or behind steps in companionway....
Old 29-07-2011, 19:19   #133

Boat: 1967 Angleman Sea Spirit

It's all my fault I'm the Pirate she ran off with and I love it
Old 29-07-2011, 19:47   #134

Zee, I'm not happy with the output of the portable. I've had $85.00, 5K btu Wallyworld cheapy window units that cooled twice as well. But it is about 12"x12" and 30" high, would fit the space I had for it and it was damned hot out so I didn't feel like improviving a way to use a window unit. If a larger one would fit the space, I'd have one.
Old 29-07-2011, 20:00   #135

ok so i get the window unit which is 6000 btu
the portable was 7000 btu
he window unit of the lg is compact and needs a place i dont have to put it .... but it has efficiency settings...LOL

both are lg
Closed Thread

Tags
paracelle