Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2012, 04:29   #931
Nia

Boat: was 17' Thistle, currently looking
Re: SSSSM - Part Deux

I haven't been too successful yet with finding crew, even when the picture is posted Bill. I did get an offer to live in Belize though. LMAO
Old 16-09-2012, 05:50   #932
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

lol nia---keep on sailing her and ye will find them.. they will come to you.....
Old 17-09-2012, 02:25   #933
Nia

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeFloats View Post
Lovely pic Nia!

And more picies sailing your Thistle, that's when we get the biggest smiles!
Here you go Helen! This was just emailed to me... it gives me a great big smile too!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0526 small.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	46651  
Old 17-09-2012, 02:26   #934
Nia

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
lol nia---keep on sailing her and ye will find them.. they will come to you.....
There is a certain bartender who perked up when I mentioned sailing. We'll see...
Old 17-09-2012, 03:42   #935

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I never have understood why sailing women seem to have difficulty in finding men. Lots of men sail and they generally complain that it is very difficult indeed to find a woman that shares their passion.

Anyway Nia - good luck with the bartender

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 17-09-2012, 04:47   #936
Nia

I live in a desert... its hard to find any sailors here Carsten. The club meets at that bar after every race and he hadn't noticed that we were always talking about sailboats or that our club burgee was on the wall till I mentioned it. He is young and thin enough to get around on my thistle though.
Old 17-09-2012, 05:00   #937

finding men who adore female sailors is the problem. most males like their females a lil lame--felames--and those dont sail. we may be a lil strong and a lil independent for most males. come on guys---speak up on this...
Old 17-09-2012, 05:08   #938

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Hi Zeehag,

I'll chip in my cent and a half (male don't have 2 cents!). I've always liked women who are independent and capable of taking care of themselves. For lots of reasons
1- Its great to have some qualified "opposition". Keeps me intellectually on my toes and sometimes convinces me I'm wrong
2- Equal partners play better together
3- I don't want an anchor around my feet
4- I love adventure and all that goes with it. Only an independent woman will sign up for that.
5- Relationships are supposed to be about supporting each other.

I'm not sure if I answered your question - but why would anyone (man or woman) want a partner that doesn't stand on their own feet?

Ahhhh Nia - young and nimble bartenders (don't blush) great to find - even in a desert

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 17-09-2012, 05:19   #939

some men even say that they wouldnt sail on a woman's boat because she might make too many ORDERS .... is there a switch inside a man that turns off when suggestions are made by women??
when i have a smart guy--not smartass guy, on boat, i allow that man to have control of the boat....

come on , guys--wake up and participate...please....is 0720 and all is welllll....
Old 17-09-2012, 05:37   #940

Boat: Owens
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag
some men even say that they wouldnt sail on a woman's boat because she might make too many ORDERS ...
It's the whole seat up seat down thing.

Craig
Old 17-09-2012, 05:44   #941

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post

come on , guys--wake up and participate...please....is 0720 and all is welllll....
Zeehag, if I were to say "why?" participate what would you say? What is your purpose? Carsten pretty much nailed it.
Old 17-09-2012, 05:47   #942

hhmm..he did, but how many agree and there are other points of view, i am sure....as for the seat up vs down--at sea--if up, stuff falls into bowl..must fetch out prior to use....

and i liked carstenb's answer--i want to know more.
Old 17-09-2012, 05:56   #943
Nia

There is some truth to what Zee says, even here in the desert. There is one gentleman I have crewed along side that has problems with believing a woman is capable and will push me aside so "he can take care of it". That can be interesting on a little boat like a thistle. It's not an age thing as he is a little older than my children. I have crewed beside him a number of times. Intellectually he knows I can do the job, but emotionally he doesn't believe it.

That isn't everyone though as there are a number of male skippers that love having me on board and even make arrangements to "share" me (morning and afternoon races) or send me a message asking if I am available when their wives wont go.
Old 17-09-2012, 06:03   #944

nia--good one-- you have described the halting factor in men when it comes to women on boats. they want us but they dont know how to deal.....is it that men are afraid of women?? could that be the male needs to take care of the female?? is a learned behaviour, not an instinctive one when in humans.
is there a way to compromise that into a sharing situation rather than a i am gonna take care of you situation.....
also--if there are so few females cruising sola, and so many males cruising solo, why cant the two camps mingle for sharing purposes? there are so many situations in which couples owning 2 boats can create--a summer boat and a winter boat--- yard one in one place and sail the other in a different place---like, mexico and caribean....is a pita to canal it, so why not do it that way? there are so many scenarios----and i see in men the same fear of leaving comfortable grounds as i see in females....
Old 17-09-2012, 06:24   #945

Location: Currently on the HARD in Guaymas Mexico and staying in Phoenix, AZ
Boat: Columbia 45

It may be the 'King of the Castle' thingfor most men. But then I am guessing that most men have not met any real solo sailing women. I am talking cruising types, not just the bay.
When you are on watch shifts, you have to trust the other male or female to take care of not only the boat, but you. I think this is a good test of the character of the male or female. I like to open a door now and then, and to pamper a woman, but I am not into high maintenance or deck candy. more of the 'Hey, would you help with this greasy slimy mechanical mess I got going on her or even, a would you this or that instead of the 'can you'... Of course you 'can', that is why you sail a boat. Since you sail it usually solo, man or woman, you are able to do it alone. Just having someone to do what you usually do, as in sharing the load, is much more enjoyable. Intelligence, independance, curiosity, adventurous, decent health, and down right humorous is a tall order, but it is a perscription that is fillable in today's world. Best of times to all of you today on your quests for a better, fuller life.
Closed Thread

Tags
paracelle