Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2011, 02:48   #76

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child
Re: SSSSM - Part Deux

Headed South are ye Zee? Planin' on goin' thru the ditch or exploring the wonders to be had further south?
Old 28-07-2011, 07:23   #77

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

Here's something I found on another group that was written by a woman. It explains pretty well, I think, some of the reasons that it is difficult for a man to find a woman as a sailing partner.

I keep seeing this same type of question asked so Im going to put my foot in here and share some stuff men just do not think about. Women are territorial creatures. Hubby , home hearth and offspring are what is drilled into our heads from that first bottle. If you want a gal to do this you have to get her on your side completely and keep her there. How do you do this? First of all. if she is not a boater start her out gradually. If your sailing let her learn to sail. Someone mentioned put her in charge of the tiller right off the bat. That's good advice. If your hitting her with this out of the blue, your asking her to "abandon" every thing she knows for a world she is absolutely foreign to for a couple of months to a year. Its not like you were talking about a car trip for the week end to Florida. A woman is competent in her own home, Asking her to do this out of the blue is asking her to violate her instincts. you talking putting her in a position where she has major inadequacy issues. It takes her out of her comfort zone and no one likes being in that position.
>
Old 28-07-2011, 07:49   #78
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

thomas--i am planning on doing the ditch and caribean.
vintage ray---same with all the other generalizations-- women do not necessarily hold territoriality to heart. they like their home. mine is a boat. i travel.

the woman who wrote the paragraph is unique individual, and says what she feels for her self. she doesnt cover all women.
MANY WOMEN ARE LIKE ME AND MANY ARE NOT. YOU HAVE TO MEET THEM TO GET TO KNOW THEM. individually.

many men have the territoriality thing, as you describe it, down to a T.
"oh. i cant sail a womans boat"
"oh but the boat isnt mine."
"i bet you wont let me be boss"
sheeesh. is just a boat. ye break it ye get to fix it.

am out of here in nov when the named storms quit. anyone coming with should have a great time. anyone not coming is missing out..LOL
Old 28-07-2011, 08:18   #79

I'm moving mine in November, but only down to Florida to finish the refit. Then south after the hurricane season next year. Maybe we'll get a chance put our two old tubs side by side somewhere along the way.
Old 28-07-2011, 08:23   #80

coool--i want to meet as many folks in cf as i can ---i tried to meet folks from other forums last trip to gulf of mexico but it didnt fit in with the owners plans LOL
by the time ye get to carib, i may just be there---we will see----hoping to get good crew for canal transit and trip-been looking for a year, now....
Old 28-07-2011, 08:36   #81

Good luck finding crew. I had mine lined up and first one got a job and next the other one's wife forbid him to go. Looks like it'll be just me snd my dog, Sailor taking the boat down the waterway to Florida. Should make for some interesting docking and anchoring exercises.
Old 28-07-2011, 08:54   #82

vintageray--you will have some great conversations with goggie-- i know bubba daboatkat does answer when i converse with him but i cannot figgerout what it is he is saying--i dont do feline as a second language..and he isnt that good with english, yet--i am trying to teach him, but he just wont learn the lingo.....his pronunciation is a tad of-- kinda garbled and everything sounds like meourw.
sometimes i can find folks for short passages, but i dont do short ones. and i wont have couples or parts thereof on my boat-- tried that already. nor those only having asa classes behind them-- they dont know anything practical.
damn i m fussy.....but then, my boat is my home. and bubba's. if bubba doesnt like the potential crew-- they are GONE. he is a good judge of character.
Old 28-07-2011, 09:05   #83
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

The making of a good crew according to BoatyKatt!

Old 28-07-2011, 09:06   #84

smb--he may be relegated to purina chow as there is only small selection in mexico, but cat fuds does make a good travelling companion--even feeds fishies!!!!
Old 28-07-2011, 09:54   #85

I can relate. Everything Sailor Boy says comes out, "arruff". Trying to teach him to dance, but he has four left feet. Today I'm tearing up the deck in the bow to replace it. Damn plywood runs under the bowsprit forward of the Sampson post. Fun, fun, fun.
Old 28-07-2011, 10:02   #86

ray--sound like my boat was--i had a backing late i had to replace--thank the gods my deck was and is good over it. check your bulkhead between anchor locker and forepeak also--i had to back mine with good wood, as mine was toast. epoxy EVERYTHING!!!!!
have fun and smooth sailing.
critters dont dance well. bubby hates it when i pick him up and dance--he thinks the world is falling apart..LOL
Old 28-07-2011, 12:12   #87

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
men are a lot like that arent they..... wild turkeys....LOL
sailing is gooooood---- running off to sea in nov, after named storm season dies off....

How is that going for you? You are in Mexico right? The last one just swept the Yucatan, how far are you from there? Are you in a good hole, or are you south of the track?
Old 28-07-2011, 14:09   #88

qm in mazatlan which sems to be a decent hidey hole...has a natural protection, as most of the storms seem to head to sea by puerto vallarta.... and i am some inland , not much but brackish water is here, sois far enough i think, and water inlet is some baffled so shouldnt be too big a problem should we get something with a nakme--but i hope they miss us.
Old 28-07-2011, 15:16   #89

Thanks Karen. I looked at the bulkhead between the chain locker and the V berth. What I can see of it looks very good. it's wood and about an inch thick from what I can tell. There's 300 feet of 3/8" chain in the locker for the big anchor and 100" of 1" rope for the other. V berth is full of tools and things so I can't pick up the boards and look any lower right now. I'll check it out when I get the ares cleared out a little.
Made some good progress today. Removed rotten plywood from deck working forward of the cabin top including from under the tow rail until I got to good plywood. I stink like a goat so I'm going to take the dog for a swim and then rinse off with fresh water. Burgers on the after deck tonight.
Sorry to ramble. I know we're not supposed to "blog" on here so I'll get back on topic........ Wish I had a damn woman on here so she could fix something to eat and I couild clean up, eat and then relax while she washed the dishes.
Old 28-07-2011, 16:01   #90

JUST KIDDING!!
I'm a very good cook and enjoy doing it. Keep a clean tidy boat all by myself. If I did have someone with me we'd share the responsibilities.

Tags
paracelle