Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2012, 08:15   #781

Boat: OEM, proportional
Re: SSSSM - Part Deux

One wacky idea I had was for an old firefighting monitor mounted on deck...apart from being able to fight fires, one can swamp dinghies from afar (especially the unwanted armed visitor type), unhorse PWC's, shoo the seagulls and cormorants off the mastheads (of the whole anchorage), fill the dinghy on deck for a jacuzzi, or waterfog cool your whole boat. Just need a decent diesel pump......
Old 14-08-2012, 08:23   #782
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
One wacky idea I had was for an old firefighting monitor mounted on deck...apart from being able to fight fires, one can swamp dinghies from afar (especially the unwanted armed visitor type), unhorse PWC's, shoo the seagulls and cormorants off the mastheads (of the whole anchorage), fill the dinghy on deck for a jacuzzi, or waterfog cool your whole boat. Just need a decent diesel pump......

i could get with this idea------might just teach the invader gato to stay away from my boat and cat..LOL....swamping dinghies also appeals....pump?? use engine--doesnt everything on a boat need a minimum of 2 uses?????
Old 14-08-2012, 08:28   #783

Location: Currently on the HARD in Guaymas Mexico and staying in Phoenix, AZ
Boat: Columbia 45

SInce I have a 110VAC genset on board, I have a 110VAC sump/trash pump with collapsable 3" hose for fast bilge water evacuation situations. hang it over the side into the raw water, plenty of water supply. Put that outlet onto a regular garden hose and it shoost real far, and hard
Old 14-08-2012, 08:42   #784

Another benefit: build a portable waterslide! Rock into an anchorage, set it up, and charge admittance to all comers.

I seem to remember seeing a shaft-mounted bilgepump recently...probably more useful for those with variable pitch props.
Old 14-08-2012, 08:43   #785

sounds like a goood deal there--more than one use and more than practical and ......
Old 15-08-2012, 07:02   #786

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36 Cat

I think I'll stick to my 'circus tent' that shades nearly all the boat when the drop-downs are dropped down - and it catches water, too!!!!
Old 15-08-2012, 07:35   #787

circus tent would be great--keep of fresh water and make a lot of shade and ye can walk under it
Old 15-08-2012, 08:30   #788

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child

I like the idea of a fence charger, more exactly, a buffalo fence charger rigged around the perimeter of the boat. Thus when someone comes aboard when you don't want and are not expecting visitors they make contact with the charged line and really get a large dose of motivation to exit boat quickly! Non-lethal and I think very effective. For sure works on buffalo! That's a fact!
Old 15-08-2012, 08:41   #789

oh tom--pooooor bubba---he would look nasty as toast...otherwise is a great idea---
Old 15-08-2012, 08:47   #790

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child

Ahhhh but you see Zee, bubba would be safe and sound below with you! Even if he touched it though, he would not be toast, but odds are, he wouldn't touch it more than once! Even cats can learn after all. LOL
Old 15-08-2012, 09:34   #791

Say, what are the top turnoffs that would scupper a single sailorman's chances of finding a single sailorgal?

No aircon, no hot water, no decent dunny/shower, primitive galley, prolonged excessive heeling (of boat, mainly), rum/water intake proportion out of kilter, consumption of exotic herbage, BO that kills gulls a half mile upwind, less personality than a belaying pin, life-threatening levels of incompetence, not the sharpest tool in the shed, a few sixpacks short of a slab, wanted dead or alive for good reasons, head in the clouds/up throughhull, socially toxic, tinfoil hatter, wombat (eats roots & leaves), wandering eyes and/or hands, Queeg-ism, Bligh-ism, Jim Jones-ism, Jello-man....

No, that wasn't a profile of me (not all of it, anyway)....but I thought I'd kick out a few things that seemed obvious, so that we get to the stuff what the sailin' wimmin really think.
Old 15-08-2012, 10:39   #792

tom--cats are smart!!!
micah--sounds like a swell idea--you start-what are your specific special abilities--no we not talking nasty under sheets stuff--socially acceptable to discuss kinds of things.>>LOL

remember this is a family forum...be nice....
Old 15-08-2012, 11:54   #793

Well, I listed most of the stuff I could come up with that I think would see a single sailorgal shaking out all reefs and heading over the horizon happily still single. What I was hoping to hear was what the sailorgals would say about the turnoffs.

The, um, target population would be single females of marriagable age and intent with an interest in boats already, or even already on a boat. Further, the ones that aren't looking for short-term charters, so to speak.

There are already current threads dealing with the blues of attracting landlubber chicks single or otherwise to the sea....that seems to be very difficult and delicate on its own, so I thought I'd skip the marinising and go for the pre-salted kind.

Of course, I might be asking the impossible, or delving into women's secret stuff that they only discuss amongst themselves; please don't add me to a hitlist or whatever you lot do to over-inquisitive men. I'm not seeking to set up a honeytrap, or craft a mask....just want to evaluate my real-life chances, dispel any misconceptions I may have, and get a realistic idea of what I can expect. Are sailorgals more like the women I met in the military, or the mountain-climbing tomboy type, or some species I have no idea about whatsoever? My guess is that they would be somewhat more handy and independent and resourceful than land-dwelling women....an intriguing creature indeed.
Old 15-08-2012, 12:04   #794

micah--we are all different--but i know for me--i dont like pushy men. they can leave that bs at home.
i do love men--just not PUSHY ones.....
dont like braggards, either. means they know nada....preeners can go away.
if someone doesnt LISTEN and interprets what i say--he can swim home or not come a long..there is more but i have to remember it all....
and dont steal from me. and dont drink a case of beer daily. smokers are a no no....allergies preclude licking ashtrays....
Old 15-08-2012, 12:19   #795

Boat: 1984 Sovereign 24

Just show us the meat!
Closed Thread

Tags
paracelle