Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2012, 07:58   #766
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: SSSSM - Part Deux

down here, water is not cold, even on sea floor...... is only 10 degrees cooler than surface, which is 90 something. the humidity factor is greater than the heat factor here-----swamp coolers would make a lil more unbearable, as humidity is now 9000 percent--i have areal air conditioner here....in fla i use flow thru air on anchor.....
we have to drink water--we sweat over a cupful every hour.....
Old 13-08-2012, 08:02   #767

Boat: Mason 43

Micah,

About the oil on skin thingy...we have a saying on the SSSSM Facebook group...if you don't post a pic, it never happened! LOL

Curtsy, waiting on you Sir.

Old 13-08-2012, 08:24   #768

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child

Little Monkey, I hate to burst your bubble, but most folks eat the birthday cake AFTER they blow out the candles! Just sayin'
Old 13-08-2012, 08:44   #769

i think i cannot stand the idea of more greasy feeling on my skin in hot n humid weather--eeps--i wash that of me--makes ye feel hotter..
smb--lol---please blow out candles before eating chocolate cake....dont want to see you hurt from birthday with too many candles on it.....i had to blow mine out before i could see it was chocolate..is a tough job but someone has to do it.....
Old 13-08-2012, 09:02   #770

Boat: OEM, proportional

Hmmm...another approach: hookah and mask, and spend the hot afternoon squatting my bottom on the cool sea-bottom. Rats....decompression stop at kiddie-pool temp layer probably worse than simply sweating it out aboard, and the local critters might appreciate a tasty micah takeaway.

Dehumidifier so that the natural sweat-cooling works again? More power-loss. Still researching oil for cooling purposes, next up is dehumidifiers

There's nothing for it...stick to slightly more temperate climes, or get used to it.

ab3....thanks for the link, interesting thread.

HopeFloats: Oiling up like a gladiator and posting a pic of it on the web for public consumption is risky...those things eventually come back and bite one in the buns. Plus, my painter's tan isn't photogenic and I haven't got Photoshop. The leering audience will have to wait until I get to a sunny seaside place and spend some time frying in coconut oil. Mmmmm, coconut....
Old 13-08-2012, 09:24   #771

Boat: Mason 43

Micah,

Hahahaha, damn I thought someone was going to make it interesting around here...

Well, I am easily distracted. Started thinking about coconut oil, but now I am thinking about coconut rum....
Old 13-08-2012, 09:35   #772

summer--off season--here is cheaper rates in marinas and is not bad--air cond for window, 5000 btu--140 usd at elektra--awesome find and bubba is a happy gato.
fqn to circulate cold and dry air---20-30 usd for 110, nd i am still looking for 12v.....they have em in our home depots, andmega market, and some other places even thrift stores..LOL

marina mazatlan was 22 cents per foot per day per month for summer--here is a whopping 38 cents--all usd.
Old 13-08-2012, 10:23   #773

Boat: OEM, proportional

Some results of searching....

Dehumidifier is practically an airconditioner, so if you've got the power for one you may as well have A/C. One interesting rabbit trail was gaining potable water from the air....

DIY Atmospheric Drinking Water Generator

But the most intriguing was learning about the Peltier effect.

Thermoelectric cooling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Heat it and you get power, hit it with power and you can cool things. Must look more closely at this kind of thing. Ok, inefficient compared to conventional refrigeration and generation....but when the power source is solar for heat and/or electricity, being in the tropic sunshine isn't such a bad idea.

Here's one useful application, a maintenance free stovetop fan powered by the heat of the stove....handy for when you're huddled shivering in Fiji in front of your stove:
https://www.gyroscope.com/d.asp?product=VULCANSTOVEFAN

Rum ration is cut for the month....tool expenditures and unforseen expenses. Crew very unhappy. May have to order floggings until morale improves.
Old 13-08-2012, 10:35   #774

layer tarps over topsides so sun is not beating on boat or deck.--i like 3 layers-one for sun, one for rain and one for wind. . this year i only have 2 so far.
Old 13-08-2012, 16:13   #775

You guys been busy...Ok, I think I got it...No beard for me, yes for the guys and yes to coconut oil...no to humidity.

That bout it?
Old 13-08-2012, 17:02   #776

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Wait...there is an application for water cooling the cabin. This Thursday it should hit 100º in Portland, and the Columbia River is 70º. Now to find an old radiator, some hose, and a pump....
Old 13-08-2012, 17:26   #777

Location: Currently on the HARD in Guaymas Mexico and staying in Phoenix, AZ
Boat: Columbia 45
pirate Re: SSSSM - Part Deux

HopeFloats: Oiling up like a gladiator and posting a pic of it on the web for public consumption is risky...those things eventually come back and bite one in the buns. Plus, my painter's tan isn't photogenic and I haven't got Photoshop. The leering audience will have to wait until I get to a sunny seaside place and spend some time frying in coconut oil. Mmmmm, coconut....[/QUOTE]

HEY! No wasting the coconut oil for trying to cool down. It is for intimate ecounters and to flavor the juice that you add to the rum!
Old 13-08-2012, 17:31   #778

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Wait...there is an application for water cooling the cabin. This Thursday it should hit 100º in Portland, and the Columbia River is 70º. Now to find an old radiator, some hose, and a pump....

YOu will need a few big rig radiators, and a large flow of water going thru them to get eh BTU's you want or even will accept.
OK if you are in a shore power location, but other than that? Fans and pumps will eat a bunch of $... Not too bad here in Rainatopolis so far this very short summer...
Old 13-08-2012, 17:33   #779

Except for the issue of salting down your decks.... Adding misters to the deck and cabin top is the like adding a swamp cooler. Lesser of 2 weevils...
Old 13-08-2012, 17:58   #780

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
Hmmm...another approach: hookah and mask, and spend the hot afternoon squatting my bottom on the cool sea-bottom. Rats....decompression stop at kiddie-pool temp layer probably worse than simply sweating it out aboard, and the local critters might appreciate a tasty micah takeaway.

Dehumidifier so that the natural sweat-cooling works again? More power-loss. Still researching oil for cooling purposes, next up is dehumidifiers

There's nothing for it...stick to slightly more temperate climes, or get used to it.

ab3....thanks for the link, interesting thread.

HopeFloats: Oiling up like a gladiator and posting a pic of it on the web for public consumption is risky...those things eventually come back and bite one in the buns. Plus, my painter's tan isn't photogenic and I haven't got Photoshop. The leering audience will have to wait until I get to a sunny seaside place and spend some time frying in coconut oil. Mmmmm, coconut....
Stay above 33' and you won't need that decompression stop!

Tags
paracelle