Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 01:33   #46

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by todm View Post
Please replace the word nicotine with tobacco. Nicotine itself doesn't have a smell. The toxic and carcinogenic chemicals are from tobacco (and additives).

BTW- nicotine is also in potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, and red peppers.
You are correct. I used the term nicotine as its the addictive ingredient in tobacco and the one we associate with the main health related issues.

Potatoes, peppers, tomatoes, the nightshade family are all of the same genotype Solanaceae.

When I was a kid, we used paper impregnated with nicotine, heated in a stove to fumigate poultry sheds prior to a new batch of birds coming in. Its nasty stuff and the sheds had to be ventilated for days after fumigation and the smell outlasted the crop of birds.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:58   #47

Boat: 36' Magellan "Steady Beat"
I smoke, I enjoy it and accept the fact that I will most likely live a shorter life because of it. This is my decision to make and I pay my dues to society in the form of the exorbitant taxes levied on every pack. Healthy people pay for the sick - this is how the insurance business works, it's just easier to target smokers that your grandmother dying of old age. Yet, she might have some insights on the ultimately more meaningful discussion of quality of life versus quantity. Unfortunately, there is no correlation.

BWS
Old 08-10-2009, 02:07   #48

Boat: 36' Cascade
Quote:
Sarafina wrote: ugh... One reason we may need to move *up* when we head out the gate and turn left is because for the life of me I can NOT figure where I can stash enough cartons to keep Himself supplied while doing longer legs in our Cal 28. I think we may need a 34' to fit them in...
yep, get a bigger boat, fit all life's needs in
Old 08-10-2009, 02:08   #49

If smokers justify paying for their smoking related illnesses by the tax paid on the packet of fags (ciggies, smokes), then what hope is there for Obama to push through social health care reform in the States?

Those who already have and can afford health insurance begrudge paying extra tax into a system which will provide for all, including smokers.

Even though we have our NHS in UK, its an increasingly contentious issue as money gets tight and various depertments look for ways to save money or score political points.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:16   #50

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Filthy dirty habit, I cant stand the slightest smell of nicotine and when your a non smoker you notice all the evidence like bad breath, damaged teeth and gums, smelly clothes, stained fingers, sick looking skin etc etc.

Experts say there are over 500 chemicals associated with smoking nicotine, many are highly dangerous and toxic.
My grand parents smoked and it was that smell combined with leather seats and petrol that made me constantly car sick as a child.
I watched my step grandfather cough his lungs out in his dying years when he had emphysema and cancer, after he smoked 60 a day all his life.
As a kid, its the one enduring memory of illness i have that effected most of the older people I knew.
I totally agree, with all of the above.

In Australia there are warnings and horrible photo's on packs of smokes, showing what can happen to you if continue with this toxic habit.

Now all you smokers please try and give it up, most people I know that have, always tell me that they feel 100% better once they get through the cold turkey phase.

Glenn
Old 08-10-2009, 02:33   #51

Boat: Swan 56
I don't believe that there are many smokers who do not realise that there are health risks associated with smoking. But it is their choice to smoke or not.

When the discussion comes round to second hand smoke we have moved into the area of air pollution. The facts are that the two leading causes of cancer causing air pollution in the USA (according to EPA) are diesel emmissions and benzine (from buring petroleum). Tobacco smoke is marginally higher than bbq smoke, but in the bigger picture of air pollution, insignificant.

Why is it acceptable to ban smoking but not ban the use of cars & diesel engines?
Old 08-10-2009, 02:39   #52

Maybe cos petrol and diesel sales taxes are huge revenue for governments
Maybe cos the world can do without smokes but not without internal combustion engines

Its all about vested interests and the greater good for the majority of people
Old 08-10-2009, 02:46   #53

Boat: Swan 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Maybe cos petrol and diesel sales taxes are huge revenue for governments
Maybe cos the world can do without smokes but not without internal combustion engines

Its all about vested interests and the greater good for the majority of people
and what about view and rights of the minority?
Old 08-10-2009, 02:47   #54
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Stepping on to the Podium

I enjoy a well smoked fish...
Old 08-10-2009, 02:50   #55

And how many food scares have included potential carcenogenic chemicals like the tar released from woodchips used in smoking and colourants in things like salmon, haddock, kippers etc

Aaaaaggggghhhhhhh stop the planet, i want to get off.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:53   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitched View Post
and what about view and rights of the minority?
Ah well, thats the down side of democracy. Not everyone can be a winner. You just have to take the long view and see the bigger picture. Its all about the greater good.

Thems is the breaks im afraid.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:55   #57
Armchair Bucketeer

I've got a strict rule on my boat. No fat folks. It's a Health & Safety issue.

I do recall having a smoking related "discussion" with a woman, I countered with the "Fat is a visual pollution" issue - she wasn't greatly offended, until I indicated that to me she was in the fat category .........strangely most folks are happier on only one side of a them & us scenario.

Me Smoking? Like a Chimney. Is it good for me? I am beginning to suspect not Addicted to nicotine? for sure, but also to the routine - in that respect very much like the recreational drugs. And on the addictiveness scale right at the top - even if somewhat down the fun scale.

I have a vague intention to stop, which probably means that you will only pry my ciggarette from my cold dead hand
Old 08-10-2009, 04:43   #58

Boat: Albin Ballad; 1978; 30'-00" "SVINT II"
Good lordy!!!! All these scary stories about family members dying is scaring the B-G'sus out of me and if I were a smoker currently, I would most likely consider giving up.
I used to smoke, many years ago.... cigars and pipe ... and to this day, if I smell a good cigar or pipe, I could start right again, if it were not for the fact that I would most likely puke on the spot.
As far as Mary-Jane goes, I saw what the USCG did to a boat ariving at Charlotte Amallie in the USVI, when they found a little vacuum packed bag of oregano on the boat, .... they walked away leaving a bewildered cruiser standing on the dock with all his belongings lying on the dock next to him....(1988)
Old 08-10-2009, 06:11   #59
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
All that nasty anger from fanatic non-smokers who are preaching and/or trying to force other people to give up smoking.... they should have a smoke so they can relax, become alert and activate their brain/memory in order to recognize that they themselves need more help than most smokers. In that moment of clarity, they might also be able to understand that alcohol is a much bigger problem than tobacco, costing the community much more money, and that nicotine isn't that bad at all as I explained earlier in this thread. Also, if you have this wish that one group of people dictates what the others do or must not do, go and live in a place like Iran or North Korea where that is an accepted practice, (or better yet, in Bhutan which is the only country in the world where selling tobacco is illegal) and keep your ideas to yourself while you enjoy living in the "free" part of the world.

I rather enjoy my somewhat shorter life while smoking than extend it 5 or 10 years with double the risk of Parkinson's or Alzheimer's. I enjoy my life; people who are constantly trying to force others to give up smoking would be better off finding another target of obsession, like stamp collecting.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:13   #60
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
The planet is too crowded already. Hand out free smokes.
Closed Thread