Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2018, 11:02   #451

Boat: Valiant 40
Slapping Halyards

I have not read this whole thread so maybe it has been mentioned that one remedy for clanging wires and halyards in a mast with no wire chase is to rerun the wires bundled and put a “spriral” of wire ties on the bundle, leaving the ends unclipped. One tie every 2-3 feet, advancing the angle of each by 90 degrees keeps them from slapping and will also help dampen halyard slap.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:46   #452

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Slapping Halyards

I remember wire-to-rope halyards, this boat still has one, so not too hard to remember, but boy am I going to be glad when it's gone! It's really not hard, frap the [expletive deleted] halyards, guys.

Ann
Old 05-08-2018, 05:41   #453

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I have not read this whole thread so maybe it has been mentioned that one remedy for clanging wires and halyards in a mast with no wire chase is to rerun the wires bundled and put a “spriral” of wire ties on the bundle, leaving the ends unclipped. One tie every 2-3 feet, advancing the angle of each by 90 degrees keeps them from slapping and will also help dampen halyard slap.
I have heard of folks doing that but that would require the mast down and a fair amount of work so you might as well just take the opportunity and install a nice big wiring chase and be done with it. I rewired my mast last xmas break and even with all LED lights the wiring filled the existing chase to capacity and I don't have half the stuff many boats have. In retrospect I should have taken the opportunity to upsize the chase.

Steve
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:52   #454

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
I remember wire-to-rope halyards, this boat still has one, so not too hard to remember, but boy am I going to be glad when it's gone! It's really not hard, frap the [expletive deleted] halyards, guys.

Ann
We paint quite a few masts each year where I work, probably 5 or 6 this year and when you get one that has had external wire halyards the evidence of slapping is there. The paint is destroyed over the length of the mast in some cases. In fact external halyards are always a slapping problem as while it is easy enough to take the end that attatches to the sail and clip it to something away from the mast the other end is coming down outside of the mast. My mast had external halyards but I converted it to all internal, its quieter and a lot easier on the halyards too.

Steve.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:17   #455

Boat: Rafiki 37

I have all external halyards. It is harder to silence them, but certainly possible. Just takes a bit more thought and effort.

But I do have internal wiring for lights, radio and now radar cabling. This stuff used to slap internally; not loudly. Only heard inside the boat. When I installed the radar cable I used the triad-tie wrap idea. This quieted all the wiring.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:05   #456

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
In fact external halyards are always a slapping problem as while it is easy enough to take the end that attatches to the sail and clip it to something away from the mast the other end is coming down outside of the mast.

Just flip the halyard over the spreader tip to hold it away from the mast.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 19:23   #457

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3 View Post
Just flip the halyard over the spreader tip to hold it away from the mast.

Fabbian
Ive seen many a halyard chafed away on the sharp trailing edge of the spreaders if they are left at all loose. Ive actually just converted my Gemini 3200 rig to internal halyards.

Steve.
Old 09-08-2018, 00:37   #458

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

I have four halyards and they never make noise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	turning from berth.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	175120  
Old 09-08-2018, 04:23   #459

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I have four halyards and they never make noise.
Nice looking boat.

Steve.
Old 26-02-2021, 07:37   #460

Boat: 40' Sparkman & Stephens Sloop. Built by William Healy

Looking for a solution to my Slapping Halyards. I came across the picture but it had no information on where to get one. I've seen plastic ones (with tie straps??) but I would prefer the SS hook. I know that I could probably find someone to make one ($$) for me, but I would rather open my wallet for expediency.

Thanks, Kirt
MonAutreAmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 07:20   #461

Boat: Gemini 3200

Instead of a hook that can snag lines when you don't want it to, just flip the halyard over the spreader tip. Achieves the same effect with no additional hardware.
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 09:00   #462

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3 View Post
Instead of a hook that can snag lines when you don't want it to, just flip the halyard over the spreader tip. Achieves the same effect with no additional hardware.

I was going to suggest the same. That hook looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

All you need to do is flip your halyards out over the spreader. Or another approach I use is to wrap the halyard around the mast a few times, and snug it tight on the mast winch. Easy, peasy.
Old 27-02-2021, 10:55   #463

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonAutreAmour View Post
Looking for a solution to my Slapping Halyards. I came across the picture but it had no information on where to get one. I've seen plastic ones (with tie straps??) but I would prefer the SS hook. I know that I could probably find someone to make one ($$) for me, but I would rather open my wallet for expediency.

Thanks, Kirt

I’m a third for just flipping the halyard over the spreader tip.

That hook looks like a sail eating halyard snagging disaster primed to happen at the least opportune and most expensive time.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 11:37   #464
CLOD

Boat: none

Came up aganist a banging halyard this week I could not find a way to fix. It was a boats headsail halyard and the line ran on the outside of the mast to a mast winch. No matter how tight I made it (and it was pretty tight of course) it just banged away. The owner must know about as he had a bungie on it. Bit no bungie in the world could have stopped that line from banging.

Since I am in a marina I went back to boat, closed the hatches and turned on the sir conditioning!
Old 22-05-2021, 12:51   #465

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

If you loosen the halyard (a lot) you can swing it out and catch it on the spreader tip, then tighten it. This will pull the line away from the mast at enough of an angle to prevent slapping and doesn't require any extra gear.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote