Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2016, 04:19   #421
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Slapping Halyards

Currently I'm in Delaware City DE. Went into the marina yesterday to do laundry and while there was watching and listening to the number of boats on the hard that had their halyards just banging like it was a drum competition. The funniest and loudest boat was named Thumper, guess he is a banger bu choice!

Made he feel real bad for the house across the street.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:38   #422

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Slapping Halyards

Forgive them Lord, for they know not what they do. My guess is at least 75% of "sailors" wish they'd bought a powerboat instead.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:21   #423

Boat: Santana2023

I leave my halyard on the main and use a bungee from the spreaders to keep it off the mast. One time, the bungee came undone without my knowledge and I came aboard to find duct tape wrapped around my mast a good 7 ft up. Confused, someone from the marina opposite us, but sharing the same land, walked over and said it was bothering him so he wrapped my mast with tape to stop it. I was pretty pissed off that I had to get the tape residue off the hot summer mast with a scraper to say the least and explained he COULD HAVE just bungees the halyard off the mast and pointed to the spreaders with said bungee cord. This guy has just bought a mini yacht and had literally never been on a boat before so had zero working or practical knowledge of anything maritime related.
DivingOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:30   #424

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivingOtter View Post
I leave my halyard on the main and use a bungee from the spreaders to keep it off the mast. One time, the bungee came undone without my knowledge and I came aboard to find duct tape wrapped around my mast a good 7 ft up. Confused, someone from the marina opposite us, but sharing the same land, walked over and said it was bothering him so he wrapped my mast with tape to stop it. I was pretty pissed off that I had to get the tape residue off the hot summer mast with a scraper to say the least and explained he COULD HAVE just bungees the halyard off the mast and pointed to the spreaders with said bungee cord. This guy has just bought a mini yacht and had literally never been on a boat before so had zero working or practical knowledge of anything maritime related.
SOME might say you deserved it. It's simpler to lead halyards fore and aft as bungees tend to move around after owners leave the boat, causing annoyance to others, as you discovered. I think, ahem, you may have been the one lacking knowledge in this situation. You obviously haven't been following this thread, or more likely, haven't read it. Jes sayin'.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:44   #425

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I don't believe I've seen a halyard left in the main that doesn't bang......that and I'm not sure anybody wants to climb up to the spreaders to attach a bungee.......

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:24   #426

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

I work at a marina and slapping halyards are everywhere and while it is very annoying to other boaters it can also very damaging to the boat, particularly those with external halyards because even if you do run, for example, a jib or spinnaker halyard forward the aft part running down the mast sits there and chafes away on the sharp edge of the spreaders. Many times we have to refuse to go up the mast of a customers boat unless we replace a halyard. And of course they wear the paint of the mast too. As far as noise goes, in the marina the most annoying to me are the water constantly running out of boats with their air conditioning on, followed by slapping halyards and the loud howling that comes from wind blowing across the slot on sailboats with in mast furling. I'm sure the last one is not a problem when at anchor but is when in a slip or on the hard.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:54   #427

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I don't believe I've seen a halyard left in the main that doesn't bang......that and I'm not sure anybody wants to climb up to the spreaders to attach a bungee.......

Left in the main ?

Que ?
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:35   #428

pirate Re: Slapping Halyards

A fone/finger foooopah.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:55   #429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post

Honestly, it's well off of the mast and even in high winds doesn't clang the mast. Trust me, if it did, I wouldn't set it up the way I do.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:03   #430

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivingOtter View Post
Honestly, it's well off of the mast and even in high winds doesn't clang the mast. Trust me, if it did, I wouldn't set it up the way I do.

DO: One time, the bungee came undone without my knowledge and I came aboard to find duct tape wrapped around my mast a good 7 ft up.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:03   #431

From the Benecia, California Marina Rules, given to even transient visitors:

"10. Guests are required to tie down halyards, sails or lines that may flap in the wind."
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:09   #432

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Left in the main ?

Que ?

In is on when you have fat iPhone typing fingers

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:51   #433

Boat: Able 50

Aaaah gotcha.

The best place for a main halyard is the aft end of the boom. Tension. Forget.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:57   #434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
DO: One time, the bungee came undone without my knowledge and I came aboard to find duct tape wrapped around my mast a good 7 ft up.
One, single time it came undone while I was out getting supplies and headed back out? It's not like it was clanging for days on end. I could complain about dockies who never leave the slip but sit there blasting music, grinding ice in a blender and being loud at 0200 in the summer, but I don't.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:05   #435

Boat: Rafiki 37

I honestly don't get the problem. My last two boats had/have all external halyards. It takes a small amount of time and effort to figure out how to silence them, and then to do it each time we dock/anchor, but as boat jobs go it's very easy and completely doable.