Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2016, 12:22   #391

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30
Re: Slapping Halyards

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
The same boat behind me in the mooring field the past 3 years has had their halyard slapping. It's because they just leave it attached to the main sail so all it does is slap when it gets windly out. This of course doesn't help me sleep at night. They are hardly ever even on the boat so I guess it doesn't matter them.

Do people leave their halyards and other lines slapping around because: 1- they don't know just how much noise it makes, 2- they just don't care!

Would be be considered poor form for me to dinghy over one day and secure all their lines? I could even leave them a note which would say that if I had to do it again that I would secure the lines "more securely".
This thread has become very long which indicates that this is a bigger issue than I believe it to be. You mention that they are hardly ever on the boat so here is what I suggest. As annoying as it is take the time to dinghy over and secure the lines. Contrary to what others say, yes leave a friendly note explaining how annoying it is trying to sleep. If they continue with the bad behaviour avoid the urge to do something you will regret later and just secure the lines again.

This past weekend I noticed it at our marina and thought of you. I believe it happens at all marinas and it is either something you have to learn to ignore or deal with it in a rational manner.

If I was there for sure we would have a couple of beers over it and laugh as we go over and secure the lines.
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 13:15   #392
CLOD

Boat: none

Done it all ............... More than once.

The answer is just plain apparent, in the "me" world people don't care and ever if you call them on it they still don't care!
Old 23-08-2016, 13:43   #393

Boat: Fountaine Pajot - Lucia 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
When do you shove off from Salem harbor and put the bangers behind you once and for all?

Not nearly as many in anchorages as there are in marinas.
Stop rubbing salt in the wound.........!!!!!!! Anyway. Move over. We'll be there next year. :-)

Mind you - last time we spent a night in a quiet anchorage on the North coast of Sardinia we were joined by a power boat that spewed forth "toys".

The jet ski seemed to be tied to the mothership with a 200 Mtr Bungy chord and zipped back and forth all evening.
The compressor for the bouncy castle style slide roared away in the background.
The Water Jet pack required another loud motor.
Recharging air tanks
Waterskiing

Who knew one boat could pack so much "fun" into such a limited space? Eventually we crept off to a quieter bay where we could enjoy the restful slap of a halyard.
Old 23-08-2016, 13:47   #394

Boat: Able 50

I gave up talking to them years ago. This summer has been pretty quiet - only boarded 2 boats.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 08:46   #395
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i stopped boarding boats to fix this expensive mistake in 1993. listened for 3 years in different marinas with the owners of the noisy boats whining about their expensive bs... laughing is all i can conjure up for this issue now.
isnt worth trying to teach a pig to sing.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 06:27   #396

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i stopped boarding boats to fix this expensive mistake in 1993. listened for 3 years in different marinas with the owners of the noisy boats whining about their expensive bs... laughing is all i can conjure up for this issue now.
isnt worth trying to teach a pig to sing.
Don't understand what you are saying....?

What is the mistake that is expensive? What is "bs"?
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 07:07   #397
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottseng View Post
Don't understand what you are saying....?

What is the mistake that is expensive? What is "bs"?
Chafe and potentially wear on the mast.
Old 25-08-2016, 07:29   #398
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottseng View Post
Don't understand what you are saying.. What is "bs"?
BS... something that normally comes from a steers rear end..
A male steer to be precise..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 08:02   #399

Boat: Able 50

Well not quite boatman.

A bull and a steer only look the same from a distance. Get a little closer and you will notice that the steer has something missing. Please don't take this post as a recommendation that you go in there and lift up their tails to check.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 08:43   #400
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

slapping halyards donot age the mast but the halyard will rupture at the least opportune time. i enjoy watching that happen to the halyard slapping ignorants who think it is romantic..ha ha ha h ah a
keep them halyards flapping and slapping, we need more lost at sea boats.
"ohmy!!!! my sail fell down just when i needed it most and i could not retrieve it from water so i cut it loose" "it just fell all by itself"
h ah ah aha ha ha h a so many times i heard that from the ones whose halyards slap. fun to watch, as it isnt my dough being wasted. one neighbor came to his boat , tried to raise his main with the ruptured halyard and asked how did htis happen.. h aha ha ha ha the rupture was exactly where the line hit his spreaders. and so-- ye wanna save dough and not look unseaworthy??
belay your halyards.
saves you lots of money in long run. you can spend that dough on other more important and worthy repairs.
never heard that slapping halyards shows lack of seamanship??
that is how we used to be taught sailing--belay your lines so no noise , no jerking and no tugging, as all those actions cause damages and hemorrhaging of dough from the owner.
a quiet boat is a happy boat.
as for teaching a pig to sing--you aint done that, have you--i suggest you try.
as for bs. another translation is balderdash.
by the way--you all know i know nothing, as i started sailing in 1955 on an old engineless classic gaff rigged raceabout treasure, registered.. damn 61 yrs sailing now. wow is a loong time... fun should not be had for such a long time-- ha ha ha ha ha
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 08:50   #401

Boat: O'Day 28

Belay you mongrels, BELAY!
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 09:33   #402

Boat: Fountaine Pajot - Lucia 40

The reason the mistake is expensive is that loose halyards suffer excessive wear. The longer and louder they slap the faster they wear out.

Sent from my E5823 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 25-08-2016, 10:43   #403
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by twohapence View Post
The reason the mistake is expensive is that loose halyards suffer excessive wear. The longer and louder they slap the faster they wear out.

Sent from my E5823 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Well you can not prove that by my experience. The slappers lines have not worn out yet since the start of this thread.
Old 25-08-2016, 12:49   #404

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Take a trash bit of rope and tie them off. Most people take the hint after a few times. Or at least it works for 3 months!

No, I do not like stepping on someone's boat. But if it's making a racket I don't consider their deck to be hallowed ground either. I'm not going in the cabin and I'm not retying lines. The way I see it, I'm saving them line wear.

I've had people tie my halyards off when I either forgot or did a poor job. I was always more embarrassed than offended.

I ask people if they are present and I tie them off myself if they are not. Never had a problem from anyone and one owner even apologized later for the noise.

If someone really wanted to push me on it, I might just say it is also to save their halyards from premature wear.

I always clip my 5 halyards to 3' toe rail leashes so I make zero noise and they are easy to access and secure.
Old 18-09-2016, 06:50   #405
CLOD

Well it just isn't really fair. I head off cruising a moor in a nice quiet harbor, only to find a halyard banger! And a wind generator buzz saw boat