Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2016, 14:33   #376
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Slapping halyards

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottseng View Post
Have you actually talked to them?
For at least 5 years Read the thread!

One of the bangers son is now one of the launch drivers for the marina. He knows it PISSES me off and that I don't accept his "we can not really make them stop" story since when he told me that I replied "I seemed to manage to figure out how to do it!". Yesterday after I spent 24 hours listening to his boat bang like an out of tune drum he picked us up in the launch and says "Has that been doing that all day, we thought we had taken care of them." Yeah right!

The moral is that boat halyard bangers just don't give a crap enough to take the extra 30 seconds of time as they leave!
Old 18-08-2016, 14:58   #377

Boat: Able 50
Re: Slapping Halyards

Usually the slappy halyard people are the ones who visit their boat 3 times a year. Talking to them isn't easy.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 15:08   #378
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Take a trash bit of rope and tie them off. Most people take the hint after a few times. Or at least it works for 3 months!

No, I do not like stepping on someone's boat. But if it's making a racket I don't consider their deck to be hallowed ground either. I'm not going in the cabin and I'm not retying lines. The way I see it, I'm saving them line wear.

I've had people tie my halyards off when I either forgot or did a poor job. I was always more embarrassed than offended.
Old 18-08-2016, 15:20   #379
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

I guess I'm in the minuscule minority, but I kind of like the sound of halyards slapping. It lulls me to sleep. And if the wind gets up later, the louder slapping wakes me up so I can check my anchor set, etc.
Old 18-08-2016, 16:07   #380
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
I guess I'm in the minuscule minority, but I kind of like the sound of halyards slapping. It lulls me to sleep. And if the wind gets up later, the louder slapping wakes me up so I can check my anchor set, etc.
But the real question is whether you feel it OK to others to allow your lines to bang away while you aren't even on the boat to listen to your "sleeping music"?

I'm going to just leave out how something with no rhythm etc. can lull you to sleep.
Old 18-08-2016, 16:37   #381

Boat: O'Day 28

Read the thread Cap.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 06:31   #382

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30
Re: Slapping halyards

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
For at least 5 years Read the thread!

One of the bangers son is now one of the launch drivers for the marina. He knows it PISSES me off and that I don't accept his "we can not really make them stop" story since when he told me that I replied "I seemed to manage to figure out how to do it!". Yesterday after I spent 24 hours listening to his boat bang like an out of tune drum he picked us up in the launch and says "Has that been doing that all day, we thought we had taken care of them." Yeah right!

The moral is that boat halyard bangers just don't give a crap enough to take the extra 30 seconds of time as they leave!
To be clear about this, I am on your side however I disagree with taking measures that seem equally annoying and destructive like cutting lines as one poster suggested. I don't have an answer to your problem but perhaps stronger language or complain to the marina staff etc. It appears that the offender doesn't care and sees this as your problem not theirs.

Wish you the best of luck.
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 07:36   #383

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Some good discussion here on the somewhat the same topic.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...140690-23.html
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 06:05   #384
CLOD

Went and fixed the spinnaker halyard on one of the usual suspects this weekend. Doing so showed they had made no effort at all. In fact if your goal was to make noise it couldn't have been any better than how they had the line.
Old 23-08-2016, 06:24   #385
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Went and fixed the spinnaker halyard on one of the usual suspects this weekend. Doing so showed they had made no effort at all. In fact if your goal was to make noise it couldn't have been any better than how they had the line.
When do you shove off from Salem harbor and put the bangers behind you once and for all?

Not nearly as many in anchorages as there are in marinas.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 06:35   #386

There's a new offender in the slappy halyard department and nothing you can do about it. When you take a furling main out of the mast the central spindle thingy can make a hell of a racket.
Old 23-08-2016, 06:35   #387

Boat: Herreshoff 36

I know the feeling, noises can be disturbing to an unacceptable level. However, you will never be able to fix all the slapping halyards of the world, not even those around you. Maybe it would be easier trying not to pay attention to it, not to annoy yourself about it? It is all in you, breathe deep and think something else…
ahun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 08:26   #388
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahun View Post
It is all in you, breathe deep and think something else…
Yes it is all in me, .................... it's in my EARS! My ears don't seem to care about what I'm thinking about.
Old 23-08-2016, 08:30   #389

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahun View Post
I know the feeling, noises can be disturbing to an unacceptable level. However, you will never be able to fix all the slapping halyards of the world, not even those around you. Maybe it would be easier trying not to pay attention to it, not to annoy yourself about it? It is all in you, breathe deep and think something else…
I'm guessing you don't live on your boat
Old 23-08-2016, 08:46   #390
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

as i hear the sound and watch the halyard slap, i laugh . i know it is not my dough needing to be spent on the replacement in half the time of properly belayed halyards. and i know that person has no knowledge of proper belaying of halyards.
they WILL fail at least opportune moment.
that knowledge make my laugh louder.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote