Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2016, 06:51   #361
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Slapping Halyards

Spend the weekend on my boat out on the mooring. It was such a musical day listening to the bang bang bang of lonely boats playing their songs.
Old 23-05-2016, 10:14   #362

Boat: Able 50

I spent the weekend resetting the halyards on a boat whose owner hasn't bothered showing up yet this spring. I'm selfish. I like to sleep when night comes.

The other liveaboards on my dock thanked me.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 18:00   #363

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Slapping Halyards

Somebody told me I shouldn't go on someone's boat without permission.

Hahahah good one!
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 08:22   #364
CLOD

I almost had a heart this weekend. I had gone out for a weekend sail and when I got back the slapping halyard boat responsible for my starting this thread had their main halyard off the sail and secured to a rail.

The question is whether after all these years of asking them and having gone over and fixed it over the years has finally taken, or whether because there are some new boats moored in the area whether one of them had had enough and took care of it.
Old 22-06-2016, 09:25   #365

Boat: Able 50

Probably a new owner
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 09:48   #366

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

How about leaving a note of appreciation on the boat?
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 14:05   #367
CLOD

Never mind, call off the celebration

When I left my boat yesterday their halyard was back to being attached to the sail and banging away.

The last thing I do this year before casting off from my mooring for the last time to head south is to go over and "fix" it!
Old 06-07-2016, 08:55   #368
CLOD

Well they took the main halyard off and secured it. But they left the spinnaker halyard run down along the mast running inside the sail cover and loose (they got some real shiny mast metal) . You put that together with gusty winds in the 20-25 knot range and I thought the fireworks had started early.

But they weren't alone and with 4 days planned to be on my boat it became worth the time and peace to be a good boat neighbor and fix the lines on the usual boats.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:02   #369

Keep up the good work, sb1. It will eventually pay off for you somewhere down the line.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 06:30   #370

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

I have a confession to make, I have an older Gemini cat that has transom hung rudders of the daggerboard style. I just launched it last week and brought it over to the marina where I work. I was over there yesterday afternoon and noticed that the rudder blades had been lifted up and sat on the bottom of the cages, it immediately dawned on me that someone had done this because the blades slap back and forth in the cages and were interrupting their sleep. I obviously am aware of this but the boat has not been used in 2 years and I had forgotten, it was calm when I brought it in and I did raise them but there is still about a foot in the water and that's enough. I usually pull them all the way out and lay them on the cockpit seats when I'm aboard and trying to sleep. I'm grateful of the reminder and wish I knew who to appologise to.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 00:16   #371

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Good man, clockwork orange.

Next weekend, invite all the folks over to your boat for a cuppa and a pastry, and maybe you can find out whom to give the bottle of wine.

Ann
Old 18-08-2016, 11:38   #372
CLOD

You know it occurs to me that I don't hear slapping halyards when I go to some transient mooring etc., just at my home marina where most boats don't even have owners who spend the night on their boats.

Just spend 3 nights of quiet surrounded by boats with people aboard them. But then I got back to my home mooring to the bang bang bang.
Old 18-08-2016, 12:05   #373

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30
Re: Slapping halyards

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtadpole View Post
Don't even waste your scrappiest bungee .... a few feet of cheapo polyprop line will do the trick ..... tie it off with extra gnarly "popeye" knots & have fun watching them struggle to untie it ....
Why be an idiot about it when there are other options. If you caught someone doing to you what is suggested how would you react now.
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 12:22   #374
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottseng View Post
Why be an idiot about it when there are other options. If you caught someone doing to you what is suggested how would you react now.
Well I can say for myself as the OP of this thread that I have been taking action on the same boats nicely for years now. To launch the dinghy and go over, take care of the issues, come back to my boat, and bring the dinghy back up on the davits is probably a 30 minute event. Yet I bet it only takes the bangers about 30 extra seconds to get them boat back to banging condition once they show up for their 2 hour/week on the boat.

Maybe if they had to deal with a nice gnarly knot or four it would start being less trouble to them to take care of the problem themselves before leaving the boat than to deal with the fix the "nice" people used to fix it (nice being anything by the fixers than involves a knife, glue, or having to climb the mast to fix).
Old 18-08-2016, 12:44   #375

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Well I can say for myself as the OP of this thread that I have been taking action on the same boats nicely for years now. To launch the dinghy and go over, take care of the issues, come back to my boat, and bring the dinghy back up on the davits is probably a 30 minute event. Yet I bet it only takes the bangers about 30 extra seconds to get them boat back to banging condition once they show up for their 2 hour/week on the boat.

Maybe if they had to deal with a nice gnarly knot or four it would start being less trouble to them to take care of the problem themselves before leaving the boat than to deal with the fix the "nice" people used to fix it (nice being anything by the fixers than involves a knife, glue, or having to climb the mast to fix).
Have you actually talked to them?
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote