Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2014, 17:54   #316

Boat: Hunter 27
Re: Slapping Halyards

I can motor sailing

Sent from my Huawei Y301A1 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
campuscab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 18:04   #317

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Some people haven't passed kindergarten.
Old 11-07-2014, 21:45   #318

Boat: Hunter 27

Funny thing is I checked my halyards after reading this and mine are quite. The problem I have is something is banging inside the mast. I don't know if it is coax or wiring but it is going to drive me crazy till I figure it out. We are pretty sheltered in my Marina from wind and waves. The problem is it is at the end of a park so we get rap music all night on the weekends. I will take slapping halyards over rap any time.

Sent from my Huawei Y301A1 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
campuscab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 17:23   #319
CLOD

Boat: none

It was a south wind this weekend. The means that I had a banger in front of me and banger behind me. The boat behind me is named "Song Lines", but it can not play a tune worth crap!
Old 21-09-2014, 18:13   #320
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Amazing. This thread has gone through people that have passed on, people that have left for cruising and it still exists. It will probably still be commented on long after I am pushing up daisy's. I just want to say that I had the narily rope tie after I had bungied it, with still not avail. The wind gets above 70 kts in my marina during the winter. I now have it double wrapped spreaders, but I was not offended once when some of my local live aboards came and helped me in the winter when a line worked loose. Instead i took them out to dinner!
BTW, the double wrapped spreaders seem to hold it up to 35 knots, but who knows after that.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 19:42   #321

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41

Think of it as Cruisers Forum Gibraltar.... So long as Monkeys goof off here CF will never fall....By the way, you are officially excused from slapping halyard anger due to overtly windy circumstances.

Sent from my SGPT12 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 06:33   #322
CLOD

New year, nice day out reading in the cockpit EXCEPT for the banging halyards 😡😡😡😡😡

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 14-06-2015, 11:43   #323

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Well, you certainly can tell the threads which get emotional. There is a direct correlation between that and the number of pages (22) and the number of posts (317). This is timely for me since one of my slip neighbors made a snide remark about my banging halyards this week. I was abashed since I am one of those who truly hates halyard slap. I had gone up the mast with some friends' help a couple of days before and had not put my spinnaker halyards back on to the lifelines and had not secured my lazy jack lines. I take it serious to be a good neighbor since it bothers me too.

Which brings up this whole "freedom" thing. As if my gun toting neighbors should be allowed to shoot their cannons off in the marina at any hour of the day or night because it is a freedom thing. Not. When we all have to live in close quarters some of that freedom thing has to be managed. Regardless if some freedom nut does not like anyone telling him/her what they can or cannot do to irritate everyone else around them.

I love my freedom. I like being able to slip the dock lines any time and I want and to visit other places so long as my boat and the wind can carry me there. But by god, I am not extending that freedom to just anyone to constantly annoy the hell out of me with their idea of what freedom is or is not. And, I'll be damned if I allow someone to tell me that I can leave if I don't like it. That works both ways.

And slapping halyards are damaging to the equipment - the mast paint, the lines, the hardware, the wire inside the mast. That's just physics and material science (oops the dreaded "s" word). Glad that some of you don't have to worry about it. I do. (But the rest of the boating experience will undoubtedly destroy my lines before any slapping does.)

I have gotten on other people's boats to "assist" them with their halyards. I have mentioned boats to the harbor master. He does go through the motions but some people don't know how to fix it or just don't care. Most of them don't live within 70 miles of their boats and many of the others only come down once in a while to check on and even less to use their boats. So they don't know. I do NOT like going on someone else's boat. I don't like trespassing. Trust me it is a last resort. But I don't extend their right to freedom to send annoying sonic waves outside of their personal slip space either. I have never damaged a boat on purpose but the idea has floated through my mind a few odd times.

Now, if I could just get that pesky Bald Eagle from coming in every morning at sunup and doing his eagle chirp thing, that would be great. Have to admit I don't mind that as much. He only does it for a while and then goes fishing for the rest of the day. Sea gulls are another thing though.

I have to admit that I am incredulous that there are people out there who like the sound of halyards slapping in a full marina. One thing I know about those people, they are not in the marina and not on their boats very much. Fortunately most everyone I know who is a sailor tends to be polite and civilized and really try to manage their halyards once it is pointed out to them. It is greatly appreciated.

That's my rant contribution and I'm sticking to it. A bit jumbled but there it is.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 14:24   #324
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post

I have to admit that I am incredulous that there are people out there who like the sound of halyards slapping in a full marina. One thing I know about those people, they are not in the marina and not on their boats very much. Fortunately most everyone I know who is a sailor tends to be polite and civilized and really try to manage their halyards once it is pointed out to them. It is greatly appreciated.
That's the truth! I've never seen the bangers hang out on their boats, let alone spend the night on it (I've never seen any of them do that).

But since I've been writing about the same bangers for years now I have to disagree that they will manage their halyards once it is pointed out.
Old 15-06-2015, 14:32   #325
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

A little crazy glue can solve that.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 14:35   #326

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
Well, you certainly can tell the threads which get emotional. There is a direct correlation between that and the number of pages (22) and the number of posts (317). This is timely for me since one of my slip neighbors made a snide remark about my banging halyards this week. I was abashed since I am one of those who truly hates halyard slap. I had gone up the mast with some friends' help a couple of days before and had not put my spinnaker halyards back on to the lifelines and had not secured my lazy jack lines. I take it serious to be a good neighbor since it bothers me too.

Which brings up this whole "freedom" thing. As if my gun toting neighbors should be allowed to shoot their cannons off in the marina at any hour of the day or night because it is a freedom thing. Not. When we all have to live in close quarters some of that freedom thing has to be managed. Regardless if some freedom nut does not like anyone telling him/her what they can or cannot do to irritate everyone else around them.

I love my freedom. I like being able to slip the dock lines any time and I want and to visit other places so long as my boat and the wind can carry me there. But by god, I am not extending that freedom to just anyone to constantly annoy the hell out of me with their idea of what freedom is or is not. And, I'll be damned if I allow someone to tell me that I can leave if I don't like it. That works both ways.

And slapping halyards are damaging to the equipment - the mast paint, the lines, the hardware, the wire inside the mast. That's just physics and material science (oops the dreaded "s" word). Glad that some of you don't have to worry about it. I do. (But the rest of the boating experience will undoubtedly destroy my lines before any slapping does.)

I have gotten on other people's boats to "assist" them with their halyards. I have mentioned boats to the harbor master. He does go through the motions but some people don't know how to fix it or just don't care. Most of them don't live within 70 miles of their boats and many of the others only come down once in a while to check on and even less to use their boats. So they don't know. I do NOT like going on someone else's boat. I don't like trespassing. Trust me it is a last resort. But I don't extend their right to freedom to send annoying sonic waves outside of their personal slip space either. I have never damaged a boat on purpose but the idea has floated through my mind a few odd times.

Now, if I could just get that pesky Bald Eagle from coming in every morning at sunup and doing his eagle chirp thing, that would be great. Have to admit I don't mind that as much. He only does it for a while and then goes fishing for the rest of the day. Sea gulls are another thing though.

That's my rant contribution and I'm sticking to it. A bit jumbled but there it is.
Well said.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 15:40   #327
cruiser

well said, exMaggieDrum. You might like this quote:

"Your rights end at my lifelines." which is the corollary of "any rights you think you might have, end at my property line."
jaybird1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 16:36   #328

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird1111 View Post
well said, exMaggieDrum. You might like this quote:

"Your rights end at my lifelines." which is the corollary of "any rights you think you might have, end at my property line."
Long as you can back up that lubberliness. Otherwise, maybe not.:
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 01:06   #329

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Has the Flamerthrower option been covered yet? Not for their boat, just the halyards.

'Course, there's always the option of letting their halyards "go north", aka free up the shackle ends & let gravity do the rest.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 13:55   #330
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Has the Flamerthrower option been covered yet?
It has! But there has been lots of bad ass talk on the thread. I don't want to damage people's boats, I just want to stop their lines from banging.

I saw people on one of the bangers (boat is named Songlines ) last weekend for the first time since their boat showed up in the mooring field. I noticed their lines weren't banging while they were on the boat so this weekend I guess i'll find out if they only leave their lines loose when they aren't on the boat.