Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2010, 03:51   #1

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
How many other people use SKYPE or other voip system to stay in touch round the world for free?

Ive recently added it to my laptop and find its great. I call my Aunt who shares her time between Huston and Nova Scotia several times a week.

I cant believe that we can chat for free.

Why dont more people use it?

amyjaneadams
Old 13-01-2010, 03:59   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
We've been useing Skype with the camera for about two years. It still has a few connection poblems, but the price is right. It's great to see and speak to family and friends all over the world.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 04:06   #3

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Its been slow on one occasion but thats down to my mobile broadband and not the fault of Skype
Old 13-01-2010, 04:09   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
I have really good high speed net connection, and skype is absolutely brilliant, also have MAc computers with great cameras and sound, so that enhances it a bit for me.

If you look left - you will see my skype status
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 04:19   #5
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Yep, great isn´t it. Though in Trinidad I can call home for just £0.11 per minute with a local digitel sim card without the annoying delay.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 04:37   #6
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Yes I use it daily, the video phone works great and keeps you connected better than just a phone call!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 04:43   #7

Boat: Mirage 25 "Garfield"
I use Skype to keep in touch with friends in London,On.Works great!Nice to be able to see them.

Phil
Philsboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 05:02   #8

There's plenty of free audio/video services that work well, but Skype has a good number of people already using it. iChat on the Mac also has very good video quality, especially on faster connections.

I use (pay a small amount for) a "skype-in" number, which gives me a land-line number that non skype people can reach me at. It's our main phone. So, you can be on your boat with a landlubber style number works anywhere in the world, never changes. Very convenient.

I'm south-creative on skype.
TrevC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 05:06   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 57
In places such as the mad Mongoose in Falmouth, Antigua where there is free 24x7 Wifi available for sailors, there are usually at least 5-10 sailors with notebooks there at any given hour of the day, most of them using Skype to call home. It is a great system that I use whenever I can. Those $10 payments last a long time at Skype's rates to landlines; and if the party at the other end of the line also uses Skype then it lasts even longer! It certainly beats the $1.60 a minute price tag on Iridium calls.
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 06:24   #10

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
We added a Skype-in number this year for $60/yr. Now my wife's parents and friends at home can call us on a US number. Skype was recently sold by E-Bay to a private investor - hope he doesn't screw it up. I have Skype on my cell phone at home so that I can make long overseas calls use the 3G network.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 06:44   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
It can vary as far as reception. A good friend living aboard in Spain has a Skype phone along with a Skype In phone number local to family here in the US. It's like real phone service as long as the boat has WiFi. Not all corners of the world are accessible but it's a large and growing network. Since you'll want Internet access when you can it's not a huge cost. Should you get all the friends and family on Skype it's also free.

I use it here in Virginia as my long distance. $2.95 / month for al you can eat service to real phones in North America is not a bad deal.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 07:12   #12

Boat: CT54
We have been using skype exclusively since starting to cruise Mexico and also purchased a skype number so family can call free from the US anytime and it comes with free voicemail so we can pick up messages at a later time if we are not on line. We also purchased a pre-paid unlimited wifi service from Telcel here in Mexico for approx. $40 US per month which gives us almost a perfect skype connection all the time.
Jackie
s/v Chrokeva
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 08:57   #13

Boat: Privilege 39
We do use Skype when communicating with friends+family who use it, but we also use a combination of Google Voice and Gizmo5 as described here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ice-35231.html - it's just another option, and free for inbound PSTN calls (except that new Gizmo5 registrations are closed as Google figures out what to do with them).
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 10:23   #14

Boat: Cascade
Yes we have been using Skype for relatives for about 3 years. The video can be choppy. The audio is good. Remember most home internet connections alow for a specific download speed (say 10 meg) but the upload is usualy throttled back to 10% of that or less.