Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2017, 07:56   #16
So many boats, so little time.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FYC Club boats, 22 to 40.
Re: Skipping the Panama Canal and shipping boat overland

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
Hi, the canal is neither difficult nor terribly expensive compared to the alternatives.

So, you can get through for under 2k if you're willing to wait for an advisor.

Trucking? You won't come close to the cost. You would incur close to this much expense just getting hauled and launched and having the rig taken down and restepped. They you would have to pay for the truck. I am not aware of such a service in Panama anyway.
TJ
Couple years ago (2015?) got a ballpark phone quote from a recommended boat transport company in San Diego for a 34' mono from San Diego to Brownsville "34 footer? Oh, that'll run about $11 - 12,000".
td0tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 08:05   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
The future might hold the enforcement of the 8kts minimum speed. Although I think it is unlikely, but this might be prohibitive for the boat class you are mentioning (<30', where even hull speed goes below 7kts). Also, for small boats land-transfer is usually cheaper, Colón to Panama city is just 50 miles on road...

Even now, all kind of delay fees might apply if someone has a small/slow boat...
8 knots is on the books now, but not enforced.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 08:10   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
8 knots is on the books now, but not enforced.
I know, to my last info they let you write anything in that bracket. But if it ever comes to enforcement, the tug is not cheap.
Old 29-11-2017, 05:31   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Now if you are in Texas and are trying to get to California as fast and cheaply as possible...trucking makes a lot of sense as the boat can be there in a day or two and it will likely be much cheaper.
Agreed. Trucking makes a whole lot of sense for going a significant distance overland. Just across the Isthmus of Panama, though, I'm not seeing the real value.

Good luck to the OP, whatever you do.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 07:47   #20

Boat: Westsail 32

Reviving this to see if there is any new information on this front.

We are in San Blas now and are considering our crossing options more seriously. I've always been a bit nervous about whether my 27-foot boat, with 6 people onboard, can make even 5kts across the lake. But there are all other kinds of issues to consider as well, like fitting 22mm-diameter lines around the cleats, and whether those cleats can hold the load if rafted up against a big heavy 50+ foot boat. I've also never run the engine at high RPM for a distance as long as 30nm.

Someone I follow closely has an interesting blog post about his transit experience on his 28-foot boat:
Panama Canal Archives - fathom

He was rafted with a 55' cat, so they just used the catamarans lines for the Atlantic locks. However, because the other boats in his group were much faster, he ended up having to cross the Pacific locks alone, and needed all 4 of his line handlers.

Anyway, I'm in a position where I might be willing to pay some % more for an overland transfer, but not if it's 2 or 3 times as much.

Plus, everyone documents the canal transit -- it might be interesting to document the alternative .
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 11:33   #21

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post

We are in San Blas now and are considering our crossing options more seriously. I've always been a bit nervous about whether my 27-foot boat, with 6 people onboard, can make even 5kts across the lake. But there are all other kinds of issues to consider as well, like fitting 22mm-diameter lines around the cleats, and whether those cleats can hold the load if rafted up against a big heavy 50+ foot boat. I've also never run the engine at high RPM for a distance as long as 30nm.

Someone I follow closely has an interesting blog post about his transit experience on his 28-foot boat:

He was rafted with a 55' cat, so they just used the catamarans lines for the Atlantic locks. However, because the other boats in his group were much faster, he ended up having to cross the Pacific locks alone, and needed all 4 of his line handlers.

Anyway, I'm in a position where I might be willing to pay some % more for an overland transfer, but not if it's 2 or 3 times as much.

Plus, everyone documents the canal transit -- it might be interesting to document the alternative .
So the Canal transit fee for your boat is usd$800. You want to ship it overland and think 2x is too much. I can't imagine you getting your boat moved overland for less than $1,600 or anywhere near that.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 12:40   #22

$800 is the transit fee, but that number doesn't reflect the security charge, the inspection charge, line and fender rental, and agent fee (if needed).

In any case I think a figure like $1,200-1,300 is more realistic. But, we could also get fined if we don't make the required minimum speed for whatever reason, which could mean a total cost closer to $2,000.

Thus, if there was an overland service in the $2,000 ballpark, it would be seriously considered.
Old 21-01-2019, 13:04   #23

Can't you borrow an outboard and fit it as an temporary additional engine?
myocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 13:34   #24

Quote:
$800 is the transit fee, but that number doesn't reflect the security charge, the inspection charge, line and fender rental, and agent fee (if needed).

In any case I think a figure like $1,200-1,300 is more realistic. But, we could also get fined if we don't make the required minimum speed for whatever reason, which could mean a total cost closer to $2,000.

Thus, if there was an overland service in the $2,000 ballpark, it would be seriously considered.
Ive never known the minimum speed rule to actually be enforced.
Old 21-01-2019, 13:34   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Skipping the Panama Canal and shipping boat overland

He's still gonna be restricted by hull speed.. that's the problem with sailboats.. cant get em to plane..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 13:47   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Ive never known the minimum speed rule to actually be enforced.
IIRC its 8 knots now...most sailboats that transit wont do 8 knots under power.
Old 21-01-2019, 14:10   #27

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:

80p for transit, 100 to rent lines and tires. That's it. You get your securify back, so that doesn't count.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 06:00   #28

Quote:

We are on a Vancouver 27, which the previous owners transited the canal in. I am curious, did you transit, or did you truck?
wildernessdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 11:37   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildernessdave View Post
We are on a Vancouver 27, which the previous owners transited the canal in. I am curious, did you transit, or did you truck?
We transited! But it was cheaper when we did it than it is now. In total, it was 1,890 something dollars, but we got $800-something back as our deposit.

However, it was a a little stressful, and there was a moment where we almost got in serious trouble due to the outflow from a tug pushing a container ship around. But we survived, and it was definitely an experience of a lifetime .
Old 17-05-2020, 12:03   #30

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
I know, to my last info they let you write anything in that bracket. But if it ever comes to enforcement, the tug is not cheap.
The deal with the expensive tug cost is if you break down and need a tow. They wouldn't be able to tow you much faster than you were going anyway.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Panama, Panama Canal, shipping