Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2010, 13:21   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Gotta give em full marks for posting it on the net tho'.... actually they could send it off to a TV show and get some dosh for it.....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 13:46   #17

Boat: Edel 665 23' - Reckless
Wow, that was dramatic, I sail a 23 foot boat and I have had it out is 20 knot winds and she is a much different animal in those conditions. Broached once, my wife lost balance and pushed the tiller arm, it was scary but we kept our wits about us and got back on track.

I was more surprises that once Jill went over, no one seemed to be really keeping an eye on her. I have been told and when we practice man overboard someone always keeps an eye on the person.

Kudos for showing the video, it could have gone much worse. But we learn from our mistakes and others.
Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 14:05   #18

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
I appreciate these people for sharing this video.
Sure, there were several mistakes but I give them credit for not playing video games or sitting on the couch with a remote in hand.
I didn't intend for them to be criticized I just think it's hilarious, especially the boy body surfing in the water.

And... the music rocks.

I bet later when they remembered the camera was there that they were excited as hell to see if it all got caught on film.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 15:17   #19

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Been there! Done that! It can happen to the best of us (which I'm not) but you can bet they practice more and that it happens less often. Thankfully, all's well wot ends well. The J-24 I was on didn't come up so quickly. I was gratified that the skipper's words to me as I fell from the windward side of the cockpit were--"Don't land on the Main!!!". Sure sign of having one's priorities right!
cchesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 15:48   #20

excellent ! I bet they whooped everyone in race 7 !
chadlaroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 15:55   #21

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
This is exactly why racing and video recording equipment never mixed aboard my boat.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 11:20   #22

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by speciald@ocens. View Post
I thought twice that the older guy in the blue life jacket was going to find out why they call it a boom.
This is what I saw as well...I dont believe he ever looked at the boom one time but was just oblivious as to its potential to take him out...it was never sheeted in once till the very end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
I didn't intend for them to be criticized I just think it's hilarious, especially the boy body surfing in the water.
Laughing at them is criticizing them..

I would have never posted the video on You-tube in the first place....I guard my reputation closer then that I guess ...don't like flaunting my stupidity so openly....It really was a quit dangerous example of sailing..IMHO....as was mentioned almost know one paid much attention to the MOB...the boom or the sheets....

Were Not so much critisizing as wondering what message they are trying to show off on You tube...it seems to me they were proud of their handeling of the situwation with the posting of the recover time and all that jazz...to which the only part they had a part in was getting the boat turned around...It could have had rather dire consequences had they not had the help of a comity boat........Just saying....laughing at the comedy of errors is criticizing them to be sure.

I found it educational in some respects as I can now show this to my crew and use it as a training video of what not to do......In that regard its a stellar production... Thanks for posting it.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 11:10   #23

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Hmm. 5 adults and a kid on a 25 footer, racing. In the Nationals no less. Seems to me to be over crowded. Also pretty inexperienced for a group trying to race in the Nationals. But its a learning experience that they all won't soon forget.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:00   #24

Boat: Slipper 42
"It is better to keep silent and have people think you a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt". I may have done something similar; indeed it's a fair bet, but I would NEVER have posted it. Well done.
Motley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:11   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley View Post
"It is better to keep silent and have people think you a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt". I may have done something similar; indeed it's a fair bet, but I would NEVER have posted it. Well done.
This is where I differ from many... my ego is larger than most in many ways BUT....
I do love having a laugh at my mistakes... often they are hilarious in retrospect... friends often ask how I can own up or admit to them... no probs...
Just need that EGO.....
I'm bigger n better... EVEN WHEN I COCK UP..
If I'm dead I was STOOPID... if I'm still alive its FUNNY..

OK guys... its wide open.... GO FOR IT

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote