Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2021, 14:34   #226

Boat: Nauticat 43
Re: Science & Technology News

WHO finally admits the PCR test used to detect COVID-19 infection has a "problem" due to an arbitrary and too high number of cycles used to replicate viral fragments for detection. There is an article discussing this, but the WHO site, with their statement, indicates that page can't be found.

A consequence of this "problem" is reports of the number of infectious cases and the numbers reported of people having died with the coronavirus have been wildly inflated. It is doubtful any correction will ever be made to determine the correct numbers. In any case, the only correct number of deaths is from the virus. To get some sense of the scale of the "problem," the CDC had estimated the number of deaths from the virus is 6% of the (erroneously) reported number of deaths with the virus.
Old 21-01-2021, 14:37   #227

WHO finally admits the PCR test used to detect COVID-19 infection has a "problem" due to an arbitrary and too high number of cycles used to replicate viral fragments for detection. There is an article discussing this, but the WHO site, with their statement, indicates that page can't be found.

A consequence of this "problem" is reports of the number of infectious cases and the numbers reported of people having died with the coronavirus have been wildly inflated. It is doubtful any correction will ever be made to determine the correct numbers. In any case, the only correct number of deaths is from the virus. To get some sense of the scale of the "problem," the CDC had estimated the number of deaths from the virus is 6% of the (erroneously) reported number of deaths with the virus.
Old 21-01-2021, 15:48   #228
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ded reckoner View Post
WHO finally admits the PCR test used to detect COVID-19 infection has a "problem" due to an arbitrary and too high number of cycles used to replicate viral fragments for detection. There is an article discussing this, but the WHO site, with their statement, indicates that page can't be found...
What WHO says:

WHO Information Notice for IVD Users 2020/05
Nucleic acid testing (NAT) technologies that use polymerase chain reaction (PCR) for detection of SARS-CoV-2 ~ WHO January 20, 2021
Herehttps://www.who.int/news/item/20-01-...-users-2020-05

Principia Scientific International (PSI) is a right wing propaganda organ, which promotes fringe views, conspiracy theories, pseudoscience, and outright lies, often around anti-vaccine propaganda, and frequent misinformation regarding climate change.
The PSI website says the organisation is “for everyone who supports the traditions scientific method against the rise of sinister and secretive government funded 'post normal science'.”

Old 21-01-2021, 15:52   #229
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
What WHO says:

WHO Information Notice for IVD Users 2020/05
Nucleic acid testing (NAT) technologies that use polymerase chain reaction (PCR) for detection of SARS-CoV-2 ~ WHO January 20, 2021
Herehttps://www.who.int/news/item/20-01-...-users-2020-05

Principia Scientific International (PSI) is a right wing propaganda organ, which promotes fringe views, conspiracy theories, pseudoscience, and outright lies, often around anti-vaccine propaganda, and frequent misinformation regarding climate change.
The PSI website says the organisation is “for everyone who supports the traditions scientific method against the rise of sinister and secretive government funded 'post normal science'.”
Doesn't mean they are not correct.
Old 21-01-2021, 16:00   #230

I don't think the intention of this site is to discuss which media sources are reputable. The information from the site provide appears to be accurate. I think before disparagement is made, that much due diligence should have been done.

The WHO statement apparently was pulled from their site. But, it is archived on the Wayback Machine.
Old 21-01-2021, 16:23   #231

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:

So, I don't know what this PSI site is, but if you read the linked WHO notice it categorically DOES NOT say what is claimed here. Read it.

As for the so-called "6% CDC claim," this too is pure fake news that has been debunked many times:

CDC Did Not ‘Admit Only 6%’ of Recorded Deaths from COVID-19

The intention of some participants on this site are to provide credible information and sources. The intention of others appear to want to do the opposite. So yes... some of us will discuss the credibility of the source, especially if significant claims are made.
Old 21-01-2021, 16:27   #232

Boat: Stevens 47

Quote:
I don't think the intention of this site is to discuss which media sources are reputable. The information from the site provide appears to be accurate. I think before disparagement is made, that much due diligence should have been done.

The WHO statement apparently was pulled from their site. But, it is archived on the Wayback Machine.

I disagree, a quick search of the source in question affirms Gord’s comments. I think it’s extremely important to know the accuracy of ‘news’ stories.
Old 21-01-2021, 16:29   #233

Boat: Bristol 27 #182, MystereS 17' Catamaran #531
Send a message via Skype™ to EarlWer

Quote:
No. It is still available online:
https://www.who.int/news/item/20-01-...-users-2020-05

It's very clear (my emphasis):
"WHO guidance Diagnostic testing for SARS-CoV-2 states that careful interpretation of weak positive results is needed (1). The cycle threshold (Ct) needed to detect virus is inversely proportional to the patient’s viral load. Where test results do not correspond with the clinical presentation, a new specimen should be taken and retested using the same or different NAT technology.

WHO reminds IVD users that disease prevalence alters the predictive value of test results; as disease prevalence decreases, the risk of false positive increases (2). This means that the probability that a person who has a positive result (SARS-CoV-2 detected) is truly infected with SARS-CoV-2 decreases as prevalence decreases, irrespective of the claimed specificity.

Most PCR assays are indicated as an aid for diagnosis, therefore, health care providers must consider any result in combination with timing of sampling, specimen type, assay specifics, clinical observations, patient history, confirmed status of any contacts, and epidemiological information."
Old 21-01-2021, 16:33   #234
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

More from John O’Sullivan, and/or Principia Scientific International:

“Shock: Govt Study Proves Flu Vaccination Link To Coronavirus” ~ by John O'Sullivan
https://principia-scientific.org/sho...o-coronavirus/
https://web.archive.org/web/20200323...o-coronavirus/

“The Lies and Manipulation Around Coronavirus Mass Panic” ~ by John O'Sullivan
https://principia-scientific.org/the...us-mass-panic/
https://web.archive.org/web/20200323...us-mass-panic/

“The Vaccine Hoax is Over?” ~ by Andrew Baker
The Vaccine Hoax is Over? | Principia Scientific Intl.
https://web.archive.org/web/20151022...x-is-over.html

“MIT PhD reveals sinister theory about coronavirus”
https://principia-scientific.org/mit...t-coronavirus/

“COVID-19: A Very Different Truth” ~ by Dr. Nyjon Eccles
https://principia-scientific.com/cov...fferent-truth/

“Growing Evidence of COVID Vaccine Harm: Multiple Links” ~ by Ollieh via Cypress Texas Tea Party
https://principia-scientific.com/gro...ultiple-links/

Principia Scientific International claimed that economies were about to be shut down because “the WHO Director caused a global coronavirus panic over a basic math error,” (referring to early World Health Organization fatality rate numbers).
“Revealed: Basic Math Error Likely Cause Of Global Coronavirus Panic!” ~ by Jim Holt
OOPS! https://principia-scientific.org/rev...navirus-panic/

But here it ishttps://madisonarealymesupportgroup....navirus-panic/
https://jdfor2020.com/2020/08/reveal...navirus-panic/

Old 21-01-2021, 17:05   #235

Quote:
the linked WHO notice it categorically DOES NOT say what is claimed here. Read it.
. Doubtless, reading technical articles can be challenging. Excerpted from the WHO article: " The cycle threshold (Ct) needed to detect virus is inversely proportional to the patient’s viral load...WHO reminds IVD users that disease prevalence alters the predictive value of test results; as disease prevalence decreases, the risk of false positive increases (2). This means that the probability that a person who has a positive result (SARS-CoV-2 detected) is truly infected with SARS-CoV-2 decreases as prevalence decreases, irrespective of the claimed specificity." I stand by my interpretation of this and the rest of the WHO statement.

Quote:
As for the so-called "6% CDC claim," this too is pure fake news that has been debunked many times:

CDC Did Not ‘Admit Only 6%’ of Recorded Deaths from COVID-19
factcheck.org is a political site. Personally, I wouldn't rely on it for fact checking in that field, much less any scientific field. Perhaps you can correct them by giving the CDC link in which they indicate, within the context in which I wrote, "For 6% of the deaths, COVID-19 was the only cause mentioned."
Old 21-01-2021, 18:45   #236

Quote:
I am familiar with the traditional scientific method. This methodology traces back to Aristotle's time. It is a procedure validated by scientists over millenia. "Post normal science" is a relatively new $3 phrase for extrapolation. Anyone working with planned experiments and modeling knows extrapolation outside of the spread of data on which the model was based entails risk. Risk increases, sometimes geometrically, with extrapolated distance. Boaters are familiar with weather which is a chaotic system. A forecast for tomorrow could be held in good confidence. However, a forecast three days out should be considered advisedly, particularly if you're going offshore. A forecast a week out should be viewed skeptically. The problem with modeling chaotic systems is intrinsic in that initial conditions can never be known accurately enough. As another example, all climate warming models are incomplete in that a finite set of parameters have data collected or generated which form the basis of the model. About three years ago, not a a single climate warming model considered the effects of ocean currents. But, ocean currents are a major factor in climate change. The inconvenient problem with modeling ocean currents is this is a chaotic system. Very quickly, model projections become wildly erroneous. By now, there are innumerable predictions by climate alarmists which have expired invalid. Yet, extrapolations of climate warming models continue to be made and some held these as settled science. Anyone who thinks science is settled is no scientist. Anyone who thinks climate science is settled probably thinks "post normal science" is reliable.
Old 21-01-2021, 19:20   #237

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
. Doubtless, reading technical articles can be challenging. Excerpted from the WHO article: " The cycle threshold (Ct) needed to detect virus is inversely proportional to the patient’s viral load...WHO reminds IVD users that disease prevalence alters the predictive value of test results; as disease prevalence decreases, the risk of false positive increases (2). This means that the probability that a person who has a positive result (SARS-CoV-2 detected) is truly infected with SARS-CoV-2 decreases as prevalence decreases, irrespective of the claimed specificity." I stand by my interpretation of this and the rest of the WHO statement.

factcheck.org is a political site. Personally, I wouldn't rely on it for fact checking in that field, much less any scientific field. Perhaps you can correct them by giving the CDC link in which they indicate, within the context in which I wrote, "For 6% of the deaths, COVID-19 was the only cause mentioned."
As they say, you have the right to your opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts. As a science journalist I am well versed in reading the research and these kinds of reports. No... the WHO statement does not say what you seem to think it does.

As for factcheck being political, it only seems so because it provides actual, factual information that appears to conflict with your world view.
Old 21-01-2021, 19:50   #238

Quote:
I am familiar with the traditional scientific method. This methodology traces back to Aristotle's time. It is a procedure validated by scientists over millenia...
I suggest becoming more familiar with the scientific method. The scientific method (aka Baconian method) goes back to Francis Bacon, while Aristotle couldn't science/calculate his way out of a paper sack vs his earlier peers.

Otherwise, your Covid information is not new on this forum. Please do due diligence and find that what you've presented has already been presented, and parsed to its logical conclusion, in the Covid sub-forum. In those threads people who order and interpret the test you have cited, who otherwise diagnose/treat Covid patients, and who fill out death certificates have posted. In short, you're adding no new perspective nor actionable ideas.
Old 22-01-2021, 00:25   #239
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Well the covid pandemic is now over the new president of the US has changed the wording of died from to died with covid. Therefore recognizing the extremely low world death rate .
Old 22-01-2021, 03:28   #240

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Doesn't mean they are not correct.
Indeed, but this one is not correct.

PCR tests for COVID have approximately 87%-90% sensitivity and nearly 97%-100% specificity. See this actual scientific study: https://academic.oup.com/ofid/articl...faa399/5899824 Sensitivity is much lower in the first days of infection, so there are significant false negatives, but vanishingly small false positives.

And the WHO says nothing remotely like what these sources are saying WHO said.

So this does seem like totally fake news.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Closed Thread

Tags
enc