Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2016, 16:14   #1

Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Sailors Anonymous

dont drink, dont smoke, dont do drugs, dont gamble, dont eat too much, but I cant give up the boat. "It's me or the boat" she said; so now I'm single as well. I wake in the night and my dreams are of slapping halyards and heaving seas. Is there no hope for me?
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 16:25   #2

Boat: never mind...
Re: Sailors Anonymous

Nah, you're in deep and made the right choice. There are plenty of mermaids waiting for your dreams.
iSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 16:33   #3

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

Me or the boat...?

Of all the things a person can do, to be confronted with such an ultimatum ... a boat?
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 18:53   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

No hope, but you will be fine.

If you want a partner, find one that will either join your folly or tolerate it.

Sailing can be an addiction as anything else. The sure sign to tell you are addicted is when you sail, you swear never again, then you sail more.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 21:12   #5

Boat: Freedom 38

I'm single, too!! Post a picture!

....of the boat
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 05:14   #6

Hello, my name is Don, and I am a sailor.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 05:16   #7

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

You know ... I see Theresa Carey ... and her initial relationship with(sorry forgot his name), and I think to myself that they're in a long dance/courtship, which allows each free space, while remaining focused on something each want to accomplish(sailing) ... a long growing relationship.

There are women who have real interest in things that, as is evidenced at every marina in America( and elsewhere), that men seem to be more predisposed to pursue.

Maybe there's a reason that most explorers were men(?)?

Anyway, as Barnakiel said find one who will take to your folly or, at the least tolerate it.

Actually too much toleration will often just lead to more frustration ... forget the tolerant ones, unless your sailing plans are expected to(maybe), wane in a couple of years ... and think hard about what you want in a sailing partner.

I'm going out on a limb, but a "tolerant", partner might be like a firecracker with a fuse of unknown length ... the more tolerant ... maybe the bigger the bang.

The idea of being tolerant, cries for termination ... either of your dream of full-time sailing(let's get a house), or for complete acceptance of your dream(your dream actually becomes her dream).

warning ... warning ... warning ... Will Smith ... the most "tolerant" of us, can, in an instant, become the most intolerant ... instantly, and with no real warning ...

Maybe, for your sanity, you should just buy a house on a beach and get a MacGregor 26
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 05:28   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post

....of the boat
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 05:55   #9

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post
You know ... I see Theresa Carey ... and her initial relationship with(sorry forgot his name), and I think to myself that they're in a long dance/courtship, which allows each free space, while remaining focused on something each want to accomplish(sailing) ... a long growing relationship.

There are women who have real interest in things that, as is evidenced at every marina in America( and elsewhere), that men seem to be more predisposed to pursue.

Maybe there's a reason that most explorers were men(?)?

Anyway, as Barnakiel said find one who will take to your folly or, at the least tolerate it.

Actually too much toleration will often just lead to more frustration ... forget the tolerant ones, unless your sailing plans are expected to(maybe), wane in a couple of years ... and think hard about what you want in a sailing partner.

I'm going out on a limb, but a "tolerant", partner might be like a firecracker with a fuse of unknown length ... the more tolerant ... maybe the bigger the bang.

The idea of being tolerant, cries for termination ... either of your dream of full-time sailing(let's get a house), or for complete acceptance of your dream(your dream actually becomes her dream).

warning ... warning ... warning ... Will Smith ... the most "tolerant" of us, can, in an instant, become the most intolerant ... instantly, and with no real warning ...

Maybe, for your sanity, you should just buy a house on a beach and get a MacGregor 26
From a womans perspective, all thus stuff about "men and women want different things" is just nonsense. Men has made tbe rules for millenia. Some women like the old rules, they are "comfortable" with the devil they know. True, not all women want to go aventuring. But this is true for men as well.
But the sexes are more alike than different.
Old 28-07-2016, 06:03   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

I wasn't about the boat really.
Old 28-07-2016, 06:08   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Hello, my name is Don, and I am a sailor.
Does this mean you have taken the first step?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 07:25   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

there are more boats for sale here in mazatlan due to this issue--he sails her to mazatlan, she hates it they sell boat because she says me or boat, and his lil head says omygodsiwontevergetlaidagain, instead of --oh you dont share my dream? ok....
and so it goes..onward ever onward. choose better next time.
actually, these embarrassing moments are interesting to watch. unfortunately, usually, they are at the dock after a few drinks and it should be most embarrassing to both of em.
next time, vet your potential mate a little better-- let the thinking head do the work this time.
there are many females out here who actually ENJOY this lifestyle.
ye might seek one of them,instead of the babe in the hot (dress) at your favorite bar-coffee, juice or otherwise.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 07:50   #13

Boat: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post

....of the boat
This forum should have a "lol" feature.
m2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 07:53   #14

Boat: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
dont drink, dont smoke, dont do drugs, dont gamble, dont eat too much, but I cant give up the boat. "It's me or the boat" she said; so now I'm single as well. I wake in the night and my dreams are of slapping halyards and heaving seas. Is there no hope for me?
Good luck sorting it all out. Such is life.
m2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 08:07   #15

Boat: bavaria, 49 ft. sailboat

Should be interesting down the road to see what she settles for. That lady is in for a rude awakening most likely.

If somebody cares about you, they don't give you ultimatums. The hardest part is accepting the realization that they don't care any more. Good choice on your part!
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail