Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2016, 18:16   #1

Sailing to Space camp!

I want to take my son to Space Camp in Huntsville Alabama next fall! We're currently living on our boat in the pacific north west so it'll take us a while to get there but I'm looking for local knowledge. Can anyone recommend a place for us to sail to. We'd want to leave the boat for the week, find an inexpensive way of getting to Huntsville and, of course, an inexpensive place to stay while he's attending camp! Its a lot to ask I know!
Thanks for the advice!
tmoandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:35   #2

Re: Sailing to Space camp!

Yes sailing is the breathe of mariner and sailing to a space camp is our dream its preety good to have that journey..
hariandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:36   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, hariandro.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:42   #4

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Sailing to Space camp!

Are you trailering the boat east to somewhere on the Tennessee River and wanting a marina in Huntsville to stay while visiting or sailing all the way?

If you are sailing, you will sail thru the Panama Canal, then to Mobile, AL. There are multiple ways from the Panama Canal but along the west coast of Florida is a good trip and lots of nice places to stay. Ultimately you have to go to Mobile, AL and up the Tenn-Tom waterway to the Tennessee River at Pickwick, then go east on the Tennessee to Huntsville. There are bridges on the Tenn-Tom that limit you to 52 feet or you can step your mast at Turner Marine in Mobile. In the fall, there is generally not much flooding, so 52 would be a good planning height.

I have made the Tenn-Tom trip down twice and back once. Plan on 7 days from Mobile to the Tennessee and then a couple of days to Huntsville along the Tennessee River. Active Captain is the best source for marina's in Huntsville. In Huntsville you can rent a car to get around.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:22   #5

After looking further at the Tennessee River portion, you will exit the Tenn-Tom north at mile 215 and turn east to Decatur, AL at mile 303. Looks like Decatur would be the best place to stop and keep the boat. It's about 20 miles from Decatur by car to the Space Camp. I don't see any closer Marina's in the Huntsville area on Active Captain but someone who lives near there on this forum might be able to give you more local iinformation.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:47   #6

Thanks, that is exactly the kind of local information I'm looking for! We'll be sailing down the West coast and through the Panama canal. I guess we'll have to look at timing for hurricane season too..
tmoandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:17   #7

If you want more information on West Florida, Northern Gulf or up the Tenn-Tom let me know. I have quite a bit that could be helpful. It would also be helpful to know what kind of boat and your mast height.

Tags
sail, sailing