Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2020, 13:22   #61

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’
Re: Sailboaters just don't understand powerboaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
You operate a 63' power boat and you're asking the internet for a basic colreg? On your size boat a copy of colregs is required to be onboard. No wonder you think I'm a d-bag jerk.
I’m curious why you think my post was directed at you? I joined an ongoing discussion, I did not reply to you specifically. I also was asking about how maritime law handled this in practice, not in theory: rules and regulations are one thing, a jury trial is something else entirely. Are you sensitive on this subject for some reason? Perhaps you identify with the behaviors mentioned?

I don’t want to hurt your fee fees, but not everything is about you...... however until your most recent post I had no reason to think you were a D-bag jerk.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 14:06   #62
CLOD

Boat: none

Btw for the power boaters info, I almost always have a sail up even when I am motoring because it makes the boat more stable and less rolly. If the engine is engaged and the prop is turning I am a motor boat! If you can not tell if a sailboat is really sailing and instead is motoring I suggest you do the same thing I do when I am motoring and come across a sailboat with a sail up that I can not tell is sailing or motoring; I assume they are sailing and just let them stand on.
Old 22-08-2020, 14:27   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Btw for the power boaters info, I almost always have a sail up even when I am motoring because it makes the boat more stable and less rolly. If the engine is engaged and the prop is turning I am a motor boat! If you can not tell if a sailboat is really sailing and instead is motoring I suggest you do the same thing I do when I am motoring and come across a sailboat with a sail up that I can not tell is sailing or motoring; I assume they are sailing and just let them stand on.
You didn't get the point of the right-of-way sail did you....or you are purposely being obtuse.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 14:42   #64

Just curious, how come the “must show an anchor ball” crowd isn’t here saying how negligent those people are who don’t show a steaming cone?
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 15:01   #65
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
You didn't get the point of the right-of-way sail did you....or you are purposely being obtuse.
Haven't any idea what you are talking at. But get the impression it is basically a tangent “not nice”.
Old 22-08-2020, 15:27   #66

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I often motor with a sail up for much the same reason - I don't know about you, but I use the main - it's less flappy than a genoa when the wind is light and fluky, it doesn't obscure my view, and it doesn't hide my motoring cone - yes, I use one. I also only use it when it will provide some measurable benefit as I don't want to flog my expensive sail for no good reason. If there's no swell, and the wind is contrary or entirely absent then I could see no valid reason for having a sail up, and doing so would in my mind appear to be a deliberate effort to claim a rule 18 privilege as a sailboat. This would be the allusion to "right of way sails". I've seen it frequently, most recently two separate occasions last week in the 1000 Isles.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 17:13   #67
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

...beam me up, please, Scotty.....the sailboaters and powerboaters are at it again...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 18:16   #68

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

My observation, over many years, is that folks with trawler type m/v behave better with respect to observing colregs and common decency than folks with go-fast m/v. No concrete data, just a personal thing.

Further, motor sailing with one or more sails deployed is a common and a reasonable practice... for a lot of reasons. None of those reasons are the intention to claim the status of a sailing vessel whilst under power. A knowledgeable skipper will follow the rules for m/v, whether or not he displays the cone ( a device quite hard to see from any distance, especially if a headsail is in use). I sadly suspect that there are folks who might try to run that con, just as there are folks who disregard other rules of behavior. But the idea that in the event of a serious accident a court would not enforce the written rules is just folly.

There is a brand of m/v sold here in Oz that seems to attract owners who disregard all rules. I won't mention the name for fear of retaliation, but any Aussie sailor will know the type. Local belief amongst sailors is that the sales contract includes the stipulation that prospective buyers must have lobotomies before taking possession. An accessory that comes with the new boat is a fake gold chain to wear around the skipper's neck, and a shirt with no buttons above the navel.

It's an odd world...

Jim
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 19:40   #69

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
Just curious, how come the “must show an anchor ball” crowd isn’t here saying how negligent those people are who don’t show a steaming cone?
Steaming cones are terribly out of fashion don’t you know...

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 20:28   #70

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
No one's yet suggested that they choose to ignore that part of the colregs
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 21:49   #71

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
My observation, over many years, is that folks with trawler type m/v behave better with respect to observing colregs and common decency than folks with go-fast m/v. No concrete data, just a personal thing.

Further, motor sailing with one or more sails deployed is a common and a reasonable practice... for a lot of reasons. None of those reasons are the intention to claim the status of a sailing vessel whilst under power. A knowledgeable skipper will follow the rules for m/v, whether or not he displays the cone ( a device quite hard to see from any distance, especially if a headsail is in use). I sadly suspect that there are folks who might try to run that con, just as there are folks who disregard other rules of behavior. But the idea that in the event of a serious accident a court would not enforce the written rules is just folly.

There is a brand of m/v sold here in Oz that seems to attract owners who disregard all rules. I won't mention the name for fear of retaliation, but any Aussie sailor will know the type. Local belief amongst sailors is that the sales contract includes the stipulation that prospective buyers must have lobotomies before taking possession. An accessory that comes with the new boat is a fake gold chain to wear around the skipper's neck, and a shirt with no buttons above the navel.

It's an odd world...

Jim
Jim, there are many that Riv up to that description.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 07:12   #72

Boat: Whitby, Alberg 30

Being an elderly single handed live aboard sailor on a 50 year old Alberg 30 (maintained only to a workboat standard) I sometimes consider it may be time to switch to a trawler. But the other day I was completely becalmed about 12 miles from my destination with a rare schedule to meet so I motored the remaining distance. I found it incredibly boring. And so I believe that if I had a trawler I would never leave the dock just for the enjoyment of boating. And since I generally have no place to go more enjoyable than where I already am, if I get too feeble to sail I will probably be better off moving into a micro-van than on to a trawler.
swordds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 07:22   #73

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
People wash their boats?? I thought that's what rain was for.
I wash mine once a year, whether it needs it or not.

And....What is wax?
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 07:39   #74

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

I have a friend who is a captain he has a 52 foot sailboat and he also runs a 57 sport fisherman. He once said that the when you get on your sailboat” you are already at your destination
Old 28-08-2020, 07:51   #75

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
I have a friend who is a captain he has a 52 foot sailboat and he also runs a 57 sport fisherman. He once said that the when you get on your sailboat” you are already at your destination “

Yup, when going out for a day rather than traveling, it's a very different thing. A sailor will go sail around for hours and enjoy the sailing. A powerboater won't just slowly motor around for hours. We'll go somewhere close by that's got nice scenery, drop an anchor and relax for a few hours.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat