Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2010, 19:45   #1

Boat: Harstad 31' (32' LOD) Serendipity
Send a message via ICQ to tomperanteau Send a message via AIM to tomperanteau Send a message via MSN to tomperanteau Send a message via Yahoo to tomperanteau Send a message via Skype™ to tomperanteau
Sailboat for 'End of the World' Getaway

Without getting into the political, spiritual, or whatever belief system you have that may have brought you to your decision, has anyone here made the decision to buy a boat based on the possibility that our society may be headed down the tubes? Or perhaps you have outfitted your boat for a "just in case" scenario?

We always keep several hundred pounds of dried and canned goods aboard. Anyone else do this?

Tom
Old 25-01-2010, 20:46   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Although I am not a "survivalist", I regard myself as a citizen of the world. My catamaran is my passport to another life in that other world whenever I pull the string and make it happen. I have been a hard core expatriate for 28 years living in the Middle East, Central America, the Caribbean, Australia, and New Zealand. I am comfortable anywhere in the world. I can truely say the world is my home. I regard my time here in Arizona as simply another stop on another circumnavigation. How long that stop lasts is very much up in there air. My catamaran, Exit Only, awaits in readiness for another adventure.

Without a doubt, sailing around the world on a yacht has been far more satisfying to me than living on land. (I'm not exactly sure why) And if it ever does hit the fan, I know that Exit Only is ready to transport me to Someplace Other Than Here. I even have two vehicles in readiness for such an occurrence. I have a fully kitted out Land Rover Defender in New Zealand, and a second one ready to go in Australia. I can survive indefinitely on land or sea. All I need to do is load up the food and take off.

While I'm not anticipating turmoil and disaster of global proportions, I have plenty of options ready to go. Here are my options just in case:

SAILING OFFSHORE IN A PRIVILEGE 39 CATAMARAN AROUND THE WORLD.* CAPTAIN DAVE.

DREAM MACHINES

I don't think about survival nearly as much as I think about self-sufficiency. Real ocean cruisers years ago were self-sufficient sailors, and if it ever hits the fan, we will relearn all of their lessons.
Old 25-01-2010, 20:52   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
What you want when it really hits the fan...

Life begins where land ends.
Old 25-01-2010, 22:24   #4

Boat: morgan 462-sageofsalem
END OF THE WORLD

Heard some Maya prophecy about some calender running out and thought I better go on down there for 2012. Got lots of wasabi, soy and packaged ginger and two watermakers-plus rice and nori. Should do.
Old 25-01-2010, 22:42   #5

Boat: Buccaneer 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
What you want when it really hits the fan...

So..... Umm....
Where do you put the Sail
Scott
Old 25-01-2010, 22:52   #6

Boat: Ta Shing Tashiba 40
No Tom, can't say that I do...

That's very funny morganministry! :-D
Old 26-01-2010, 05:06   #7

Boat: Nor Sea 27'
I posted this in a similar thread on a different site where everyone seems to think I'm crazy. They're probably right.

I know that it's kinda silly. Still, I have to confess to feeling the tiniest little pang of foreboding or anxiety lately. Whether there are reasons, other than the Mayan predictions that justify worrying about the future can be argued both ways I suppose. It does seem that there are a lot of people concerned about it to some degree.
Perhaps it's just that I'm getting older but I do find myself thinking more and more about how important it may someday become to be self sufficient and I've been taking steps in that direction.
I'm fortunate that I have my boat at my residence. I figure it can be my ace in the hole if the crap hits the fan. At the same time, I'm trying to utilize the land (house and yard) that I occupy to provide some sustenance. I've raised bees for years, and have decided to start raising worms next. I can't talk my wife into chickens or rabbits yet but I'm working on her.
Call me crazy, but I've heard that one of the biggest problems that people have when natural disasters hit is sanitation. Water stops flowing and people don't know where to crap. So they do it all over the place. If the water stops flowing to my house, I don't want to have to worry about having to make a major life adjustment. It's going to be bad enough dealing with my wife. But the truth is, I've been using a home made urine separating system ashore for the last couple of months and have discovered that it has many advantages. First is that for the first time in nearly 30 years of marriage, I have my own throne. There's also the fact that when in use the toilet is pretty much air tight and therefore is less stinky than having your contribution floating around in a bowl of water with no static or negative air flow in relation to the space that your nose occupies. Then there's the compost. First it's composted in the normal manner where the heat from the process kills any pathogens and then that compost is fed to the worms. By the time it's done, it's just about as perfect a soil that exists.
It's a nasty subject, but I've realized that I don't feel good about using (I read this number somewhere) 7000 gallons of good drinking water to flush my bodily wastes down the drain when it can be composted and returned to the soil. Here in Florida, during the recent cold snap, the farmers had to use water to keep from losing their crops. They pumped so much water out of the ground that sink holes started appearing all over the place because they were draining the aquifer. Water shortages are a real concern in many places in the world much less this country. I've been collecting rain water in barrels for years but have been recently thinking seriously about building a cistern.

It's really hard to know how to plan for the future when you don't know if you are going to have to deal with a super volcano in Yellowstone or a comet of death that sends the world into the next ice age, or just a little earthquake or tsunami that submerges your state and turns masses of ordinary fellow citizens into mad swarming hordes of terror.
Old 26-01-2010, 05:52   #8

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
There was another thread of the same/similar subject of where do you go if things fall apart and you have a boat. After a long thread it appeared that there was very few places you could go for some of the same reasons "Knothead" talks about. Most all of the Northern Hemisphere is totally interlocked economically so that collapse in one major place would ripple through everywhere as imported food, fuel, and life support services ceased.
- - Up into the mountains for savvy mountain men/farmers or into the wild native coastal regions of 3rd, 4th, or 5th world countries. It all seemed to revolve around your personal knowledge and ability to survive and prosper without the need for "civilization-based" assistance especially with hordes of starving population wanting to eat your supplies or you.
Old 26-01-2010, 06:24   #9
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Knothead, that urine your using as a 45 -0-0 number on it so its full of nitogen great organic fertlizer! I bring in 10,000 pounds a month of manure 5 months a year in S. Fl. for my garden/ orchad- keep p-in in the bucket! grow your own food!
Old 26-01-2010, 06:34   #10
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
depending on the level at which the sh** hits the fan .. several hundred lbs of food may give you a little more time but i wouldn't count on it. but i do like the idea of having an exit via the ocean and my boat would qualify for that.
Old 26-01-2010, 07:02   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sageofsalem View Post
Heard some Maya prophecy about some calender running out ...
Look at the calander on your wall/desk. It very likely "runs out" December 31, 2010.
What does that suggest to you?

Old 26-01-2010, 08:17   #12

Boat: Cape Dory 30K
The Spaniards burned all of the Mayan documents. All we have to go on is a few that were saved. No telling what the rest said.
Old 26-01-2010, 08:23   #13
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Look at the calander on your wall/desk. It very likely "runs out" December 31, 2010.
tells me the end is near! ... until next year!
Old 26-01-2010, 08:56   #14

Boat: Harstad 31' (32' LOD) Serendipity
Send a message via ICQ to tomperanteau Send a message via AIM to tomperanteau Send a message via MSN to tomperanteau Send a message via Yahoo to tomperanteau Send a message via Skype™ to tomperanteau
I was more thinking along the lines of if the economy continues to spiral down and people become more motivated towards crime by the lack of jobs/income. This is far and aside from an end-of-world theory. There are several renowned economists that have predicted dire consequences to what the government has done to us. It would seem to be that having a boat as a safer place to be might be a good idea. Note that I said "safer" and not safe. There will always be those on the seas that want to take what you have, but at least you have taken a larger portion of the bad guys out of the equation.
Old 26-01-2010, 09:53   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
All past "end of world" predictions have been proven wrong. 100% of them. Not a very good track record.

Tags
sailboat