Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2018, 09:49   #1

Rustproof double shotgun

Hello, I have looked at Beretta automatics and mossberg mariner that is coated for corrosion resistant in salt water environment.
However regulation limitation limits my choice only to shotgun with capacity of two shots.
Given that budget isn't much an issue, what choices are available for 12 gauge in double barrel that are rust resistant?
Wckoek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 27-11-2018, 10:04   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Rustproof double shotgun

Are you allowed to plug the pump so that it will only hold one in the magazine?

Back when I was a kid shotguns usually held 5 rounds, then the law changed and for hunting 3 was the max, plugs were installed that were the length of two shells, reducing capacity from 5 to 3 and that satisfied the law, a plug can be as simple as a cut off broomstick, and I believe like anything else can be purchased.

It’s the rust resistant part that is difficult, I know of no double barrel’s that are.
However for what I assume you want what is called a “Stagecoach” gun is likely ideal, they are usually 20 Ga. and short barreled and have hammers. Hammers are ideal as they are very easy to see if the “Safety” is on or not, and of course require a positive action to be fired, very difficult for an accidental discharge, and everybody has in their mind, pull the hammer back to fire so even in stress it’s not likely to be forgotten.

I think I’m going to make this a “Hot topic” which is asking people to please refrain from becoming emotional, but to be polite in their replies, they don’t have to agree, but they need to be polite.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 27-11-2018, 10:32   #3

Re: Rustproof double shotgun

The law seemed to be grey when it comes to plug, probably it can be approved if the modification is permanent, but either way a double gun is better for my needs since it attract less attention, seemed to be more reasonable reliable and easy to use.
Automatic weapons is another matter, I think double shotgun is reasonable even given the sensitivities.
Old 27-11-2018, 10:39   #4

One option would be to buy a cheap double barrel shotgun and get it rust proofed. There are companies in the states that do this not sure about non US countries.

Second option is to just by a cheap double gun and do one's best to keep the rust off. There are storage bags one can use that would keep the rust down.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 27-11-2018, 10:41   #5

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Wckoek,

We have hunting regulations that require fewer cartridges [2] in a shotgun, but ONLY when hunting for specific birds [typically waterfoul]. I wonder if that is the case in your jurisdiction, and hence where the 2 shell limit comes from?

As A64 suggested, our Mossburg 500 Mariner even came with a wood dowel in the tubular magazine [with a rubber spacer at each end to keep it centered- a bit of a cork would also work...] to limit the number of shells when required, and that is legal here. The dowel is easily removable.

We don't use it as we don't hunt birds; our shotguns are primarily used with Brenneke slugs for protection from wildlife [e.g., bears] and we desire full magazines for this use case...

Regarding dual barrel [over-under or side-by-side] stainless shotguns, I don't recall ever seeing any. I would check with some reputable gunsmiths who also work on shotguns...

Good luck with your search.

Cheers! Bill
Old 27-11-2018, 10:46   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Rustproof double shotgun

I believe there is a gun finish called parkerized that makes it somewhat rust proof and is often done.
I think it’s the finish you see on WWII era US Military guns.
I think I’d get me a Stagecoach gun and have it parkerized, however if even decently cared for it’s not going to be an issue, as was said you can buy specially treated “Socks” for storage that really do help inhibit rust.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkerizing
Old 27-11-2018, 11:31   #7

a quick google search (stainless double barrel shotgun) turned up one example (this one has been sold), there must be others

https://www.gunsamerica.com/98942123...ide-Shotgu.htm
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 27-11-2018, 12:16   #8

I just checked, it has to be permanently 2 shot capacity, so it have to be permanently plugged.
Thanks, Pete. I just checked out Stoeger, apparently they are manufactured in Brazil by a company named Boito (E.R. Armantino).
They have a 20" coach gun in Nickel that seemed ideal:
https://www.horsleyparkgunshop.com.a...categoryId=163
Old 27-11-2018, 12:19   #9

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I believe there is a gun finish called parkerized that makes it somewhat rust proof and is often done.
I think I’d get me a Stagecoach gun and have it parkerized, however if even decently cared for it’s not going to be an issue, as was said you can buy specially treated “Socks” for storage that really do help inhibit rust.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkerizing

Parkerising is the way to go. I sent 22 years looking after UK Army weapons and never had any real problems with it.
paulajayne is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 27-11-2018, 12:22   #10

They made 2 models:
A680 - Double trigger
https://www.armasboito.com.br/br/produtos/11/a-680
A681 - Single trigger

https://www.armasboito.com.br/br/produtos/12/a-681

Is double the one to get?
Old 27-11-2018, 13:00   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

Correct. Parkerizing is one rust proofing and Robar has another.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 27-11-2018, 13:16   #12

Boat: Hunter 40

Years ago, in another life, I worked with a sea search & rescue organisation & during training exercises they dumped flares to mark target areas. These flares needed to be sunk at the end of training.

For this they supplied a stainless steel double barrel (side by side) 12G shot gun. It was a magnificent piece of equipment. I would occasionally miss so that I had to take another shot. :big grin:

My point is that they are made, it may just take a bit of searching.

From memory it only held one shot per barrel, double trigger.
Old 27-11-2018, 13:19   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I believe the more intimidating the gun you’re holding the less likely you’ll need to pull the trigger. A side by side double is about as intimidating as it gets.

I wouldn’t worry too much about rust. Wipe it down periodically with oil or Boeshield T9, it will be fine stored in the cabin.
Old 27-11-2018, 14:23   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Rustproof double shotgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wckoek View Post
They made 2 models:
A680 - Double trigger
https://www.armasboito.com.br/br/produtos/11/a-680
A681 - Single trigger

https://www.armasboito.com.br/br/produtos/12/a-681

Is double the one to get?

The single trigger is hammer less.
My assumption is that there is a thumb safety that forward and backward slide is safe and fire, swing it one side or the other selects which barrel to fire first, often double barrel guns will have different chokes for each barrel, think of a close barrel, and a long range barrel, theory is you can select based on how far away the bird is.

Normally an over and under the under barrel is fired first, being lower it won’t cause the gun to rise as much as the over barrel will.
The double trigger is the hammer model, and I highly recommend the hammers, for one thing cocking a gun is an unmistakable sound, secondly it’s far safer in my opinion, a little slide safety is too easy to accidentally move and not nearly as obvious as having to pull hammers back.

If you have not shot a double trigger gun, do not put two fingers in the trigger guard thinking one finger is for each trigger, if you do almost certainly when you fire, the recoil will have you pulling the other trigger accidentally, have only one finger in the guard, fire and reposition to fire the other barrel.
Old 27-11-2018, 14:27   #15

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wckoek View Post
Hello, I have looked at Beretta automatics and mossberg mariner that is coated for corrosion resistant in salt water environment.
However regulation limitation limits my choice only to shotgun with capacity of two shots.
Given that budget isn't much an issue, what choices are available for 12 gauge in double barrel that are rust resistant?
I could make you a really nice one for a (f) nominal (phenomenal) price