Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2015, 10:09   #31

Re: RSYC (Royal Snob Yacht Club)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
And,when are the Brits going to admit they have been ruled by the Germans for centuries? The Celts(A Germanic tribe from Central Europe-modern day Germany) were the first to arrive followed by the Saxons and then the Vikings. It was old King George V who changed the royal family's name:Saxe-Coburg and Gotha to Windsor due to anti-German sentiment after WWI in 1917--an interesting irony since more than half of England is genetically German. The term Anglo-Saxon derives from the two great Germanic tribes that invaded the SW of England in the Dark Ages--the Angles and Saxons. And, we certainly can't forget the Norweigan invasion from the North when the Vikings came and conquered much of England until the old Duke of Normandy in 1066(a Viking from Northern France) gave them a good spanking. The testament can be see in all the English towns that end in "ton" which designates previous Viking cities.The real Brits are the Picts and comprise a very small percentage of the English population and were literally nearly pushed into the Atlantic by the invading foreigners. English snobbery? Us peasant Yanks who love World History find that quite amusing. Good luck, good sailing, Long Live Queen Saxe-Coburg and Gotha! P.S. For those students of History/Genetics, I highly recommend "Blood of the Isles" by Oxford geneticist Brian Sykes.
While I'm not disputing your history lesson nor do I have any hard evidence to suggest any of it is not true, I just have one question.

How do you explain the vast difference between German engineered cars and British engineered cars? They're almost diametrically opposed in terms of design philosophy and reliability.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 11:21   #32

Boat: Dragon

Oh such fun! Peasants dreaming of elevating themselves above their station!
Duct Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 11:24   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 12:14   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

2015 invites in the mail. Lord Weavis of Fanackerpan has sent out exclusives.
You know who you are, and who you are not.

Old 25-01-2015, 12:20   #35

Boat: Skookum 53'

You'll have to resend my invite, a polar bear ate mine!
Old 25-01-2015, 13:09   #36

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegu Club View Post
Just look at my name.... The very prestigious PCYC.
I can vouch for this mans snobbery for membership even though I don't know him. My brother was invited to play golf on their island a few times. lol
Not only am I of English and German decent, But Great Great Grandpa Phillipe Telford Porter walked the dog in a bow tie. (thats what I'm told anyway lol) and Great Great Grandpa Gordon Fredrich Schlaefer was a Captain in the cavalry during the civil war. As my father used to say no civilized family has dinner before eight. You had supper at five. lol Seeing as I have both sides of the German, English incestuous areas covered, does that qualify me for membership? Just asking? Oh and My first name is Nelson after Lord Nelson, that should give me some points, No?
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 07:46   #37

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"How do you explain the vast difference between German engineered cars and British engineered cars? They're almost diametrically opposed in terms of design philosophy and reliability." Socaldmax

Soc,
I'm a sucker for diversion . . . especially when its such a great question. I will speak only concerning Jaguars and Mercedes since I have owned them in great numbers for over 30 years. The Jaguar, in my opinion, has always been the most beautifully styled luxury car in the world until its recent acquisition by Tata of India. They have cheapened the vehicle, in my opinion, and given the consumer less for more. Aesthetically it is quite common. The problem with Jaguars in the past has always been maintenance especially if you took your vehicle to a Jag dealer for service. The old XJ12's were notorious for leaking heads, injection issues and transmission problems. One trip to the dealer and most traded their vehicles. The XJ6's and XJ8's also were tempermental although the XJ8 was the least so. When Jag affiliated with Ford, they made 175 material improvements to the vehicles without altering the iconic Jag styling and they became much more dependable. However, they also produced, at that time, two incredible abortions: the X-Type and the S Type which were abominable transformations of modified Fords and nothing close to a Jaguar. So, the simplified story of Jaguar. As far as Mercedes, it was never a model of styling but a bullet proof sedan and the first gasoline powered vehicle in history. The quality of build on Mercedes, the superior engineering and their reliability are legendary. A well maintained Mercedes is a 300K mile vehicle. This cannot be said of Jaguar. So, in a long winded diversion, the difference between Jags and Mercedes is that the Germans and Norse ancestors living in modern day England had nothing to do with the Jaguar . . . I blame it on the Picts. As far as Benz? Have you ever heard the cliché: German Junk? Good luck, good sailing and remember . . . never buy a used car from a Pict.
Old 26-01-2015, 07:52   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Old 26-01-2015, 07:58   #39

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

AS Dockhead noted - the reason Brits drink warm beer is that their refrigerators are made by lucas

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 08:18   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I am a snob about snobs. I avoid them like the plague.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 09:48   #41

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Being raised in a small west Texas town in modest circumstances, I didn't have any idea about yacht clubs, or even boats bigger than a 75hp ski boat for our local lake. And we couldn't afford one of those.

So my first experience with a yacht club was in Miami (Coconut Grove) at the Coral Reef YC. I was a guest of my girlfriend's wealthy father. He bought a big power boat because he knew I was interested in boats. I took my very first sailing lesson before from the Red Cross. (He also built a tennis court in his back yard for me since I played tennis. Unfortunately I only dated his daughter for a short while. I was uncomfortable around so much money.) I fit in like a pig at the Biltmore. Never went back. Good drinks though.

Any way, Dad invited us to go along to a Saturday lunch on the YC deck. I remember nothing but blue blazers, ties, white shoes, and funny little hats with lots of gold braid. Yikes! I really didn't belong here. From that time on I decided I would never join or belong in a YC. (note: our first excursion with skipper "Dad" was out on the water off of Palm Beach. He dropped the hook off the bow and watched all the rode pay out - all of it - since the bitter end was not attached to the boat. We came in and bumped our way into his private slip behind the new tennis court.)

Nevertheless, after we got our (first boat) in Anacortes, WA, we discovered the very unassuming but historic YC there. Low fees, shorts at any and all occasions OK, no hats except baseball style. Great people, low pomp and circumstance. And, we got free reciprocal with the fancy smancy YCs in Seattle and Canada.

But I would join the illustrious YC you have started but don't think you would have me. So good riddance and fair winds.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 10:19   #42

Quote:
"How do you explain the vast difference between German engineered cars and British engineered cars? They're almost diametrically opposed in terms of design philosophy and reliability." Socaldmax

Soc,
I'm a sucker for diversion . . . especially when its such a great question. I will speak only concerning Jaguars and Mercedes since I have owned them in great numbers for over 30 years. The Jaguar, in my opinion, has always been the most beautifully styled luxury car in the world until its recent acquisition by Tata of India. They have cheapened the vehicle, in my opinion, and given the consumer less for more. Aesthetically it is quite common. The problem with Jaguars in the past has always been maintenance especially if you took your vehicle to a Jag dealer for service. The old XJ12's were notorious for leaking heads, injection issues and transmission problems. One trip to the dealer and most traded their vehicles. The XJ6's and XJ8's also were tempermental although the XJ8 was the least so. When Jag affiliated with Ford, they made 175 material improvements to the vehicles without altering the iconic Jag styling and they became much more dependable. However, they also produced, at that time, two incredible abortions: the X-Type and the S Type which were abominable transformations of modified Fords and nothing close to a Jaguar. So, the simplified story of Jaguar. As far as Mercedes, it was never a model of styling but a bullet proof sedan and the first gasoline powered vehicle in history. The quality of build on Mercedes, the superior engineering and their reliability are legendary. A well maintained Mercedes is a 300K mile vehicle. This cannot be said of Jaguar. So, in a long winded diversion, the difference between Jags and Mercedes is that the Germans and Norse ancestors living in modern day England had nothing to do with the Jaguar . . . I blame it on the Picts. As far as Benz? Have you ever heard the cliché: German Junk? Good luck, good sailing and remember . . . never buy a used car from a Pict.
I'll agree with everything you posted except about MB never being a model of styling. The original 300SL Gullwings, 300SL Roadsters and 190SL are all examples of iconic, timeless, impeccable styling in addition to groundbreaking engineering firsts. Even MB went retro like other mfrs with the AMG SLS gullwing.

Some of the recent CLS models are very sleek for a 4 seater, IMHO.
Old 26-01-2015, 10:49   #43

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
I'll agree with everything you posted except about MB never being a model of styling. The original 300SL Gullwings, 300SL Roadsters and 190SL are all examples of iconic, timeless, impeccable styling in addition to groundbreaking engineering firsts. Even MB went retro like other mfrs with the AMG SLS gullwing.

Some of the recent CLS models are very sleek for a 4 seater, IMHO.

Soc,
I would agree completely with your above statement although few in numbers owned the above "classics" largely due to price. Most people bought the C and E class sedans. One exception might be the SLK's and CLS's which are more affordable than the SL's and AMG's and have beautiful styling and great market appeal. So, Soc, if I were invited to join an English yacht club, would I dare drive a German car through the gilded gates and be welcomed in the hallowed halls? I can assure you I possess no Pictish blood but rather a heavy dose of Teutonic/North European genes. And, since us Yanks resoundingly threw the Brits off American soil, I don't believe an invitation would be forthcoming. However, I never really met a Brit I didn't like. They probably weren't Picts, huh? Good luck and good sailing.
Old 26-01-2015, 11:03   #44

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I need to order my blue blazer. Will it be okay if I wear my usual Angus Young short shorts and display my tatoos?
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 12:20   #45

Quote:
Soc,
I would agree completely with your above statement although few in numbers owned the above "classics" largely due to price. Most people bought the C and E class sedans. One exception might be the SLK's and CLS's which are more affordable than the SL's and AMG's and have beautiful styling and great market appeal. So, Soc, if I were invited to join an English yacht club, would I dare drive a German car through the gilded gates and be welcomed in the hallowed halls? I can assure you I possess no Pictish blood but rather a heavy dose of Teutonic/North European genes. And, since us Yanks resoundingly threw the Brits off American soil, I don't believe an invitation would be forthcoming. However, I never really met a Brit I didn't like. They probably weren't Picts, huh? Good luck and good sailing.

Same here! I like nice people and tend to steer clear of real snobs. Some people pretend to be snobs just as a joke, and I can see the humor in that.

I always watch how people treat waiters and waitresses, or valets, etc. If they talk to them like a human being, great, if they bark orders or look down on them, I won't associate with them. It's a quick way to separate the nicer people from the not so nice. I always watch for "Please" and "Thank you!" If they use those words with everyone, great! If they only use those words towards "friends" or people they're trying to impress, then I get the picture.

Fair winds and following seas!

Tags
yacht