Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 14:11   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Antigua 37 - Ti' Punch
Robbed by a Fellow Boater

I debated for quite awhile about whether to post this or not. There's really nothing anything on the forum can do, but sometimes you just need to vent.

So here goes...

I have a tool bag with about a 15 year accumulation of various tools, including my multimeter, that I usually carry back and forth from the boat to the house depending on what projects I have going on where. I needed a screwdriver out of it the other day and could not find the bag. I looked high and low, in the house and on the boat. It was nowhere to be found. I assumed that I had misplaced it and that it's location would come to me sooner or later.

This weekend my neighbor came over and told me that he came home last Friday night and found his boat (Carolina Skiff center console) with the docklines untied and thrown back into the boat. The only thing holding it to the dock was one of the two fiberglass whips he uses to keep it from banging into dock. Looking closer, he noticed his fuel tank was gone. He asked if I had seen anything or was I missing anything. Still not even thinking about my tool bag, I walked down my dock to my boat. Sure enough, I was missing my flare/signalling kit, my first aid kit, my tool box full of Yanmar spares (impellers, fuel filters, oil filters, belts, etc...), a "D" cell flashing signal lamp, and then it dawned on me that my tool bag was probably stolen as well. My boat sits on a dock behind my house, probably 300' from my back door. Whoever climbed aboard and took my stuff most likely came by water. We live on a small peninsula and it would be hard to get to either of our houses on foot or by car without being noticed. At low tide though, they would be invisible from inside the house if they had come by water. They left my VHF, SSB, Chart plotter, anchor, chain, etc..., so probably too small a boat to haul all the loot. Needless to say, I'm pretty angry about the whole thing. My neighbor on the other side was not missing anything, but his powerboat lives on a lift, so probably too much trouble to board from the water.

What's done is done. I guess I should feel lucky that they didn't take more, or tear up the boat. Some of the tools had sentimental value. My biggest fear is that they are going to come back for more. I put up a camera today, not that it will deter them. The police didn't even come out. They took a report over the phone. The officer was polite, but basically told me not to expect much. I contemplated putting a padlock on the plexiglass slider from the cockpit to the salon, but this has to be balanced against the fear that they would break a hatch or tear something up trying to get in. It just sucks all around.

We had a lightning strike on this dock about a year ago. Now this. One more strike and I'm moving this boat to a marina. Thanks for letting me vent.

Chris
Ti' Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 14:15   #2

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Oh I am so sorry. That sucks.
It has been my experience that no one can outun karma. This has proved to be a great comfort as there are many bastiges in need of a swift kick of karma to the arse in the world.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 14:26   #3

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Sorry to hear that but hope it is not really a "fellow" boater.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 14:29   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
Oh I am so sorry. That sucks.
It has been my experience that no one can outun karma. This has proved to be a great comfort as there are many bastiges in need of a swift kick of karma to the arse in the world.

So basically you are saying that he deserves to be robbed because of some bad deed he did in his past? NICE
diogenes726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 14:40   #5

That's not how I took it, hopefully that isn't how Mimsy meant it. I took the comment to mean that Karma will eventually catch up with whoever raided my boat. I hope that is true. But I kind of see your point Diogenes. If what goes around comes around, then what did I do to deserve this. I've done a lot of boneheaded things in my time, but I'm no thief. Maybe I'm paying for something else then. I'd feel a whole lot better if I knew they weren't coming back. I hate the thought of having to take everything off the boat and then take it back down there the next weekend.
Old 11-10-2010, 14:42   #6

That's awful when some one steals your tools. Classless.

Regarding a heavy lock, if you are not on the boat when they attempt to break in they may do substantial damage. So, it's kind of a plus or minus, not sure what the right answer is.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 14:43   #7

Therapy - "Fellow Boater" may indeed be too strong. How about a "jerk in a boat"?
Old 11-10-2010, 15:13   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
You were robbed by a crook.

They look for easy pickins.

Leaving you boat unlocked is not prudent......
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 15:22   #9

Boat: 22' Avalon Pontoon - The WINE BARge
I'm no karma expert, but I don't think you're being paid back for some previous bad deed.

My neighbors are real paranoid about leaving stuff on the boat/dock. We don't have much in the open, but we choose not to continually worry about it. I'd rather replace a few things the first time than stay up nights worrying about. Now, having said that, wait until WE get robbed! I'll be starting my own thread!
RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 15:28   #10

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
I feel your pain.

But after the initial PO feeling dissipates...just remember your saving, in my case, 5k a year in slip fees having your own dock...you can buy a lot of tools and band aids for that coin....lock the boat...most theft is opportunistic by punks not pros.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 15:34   #11

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Hmm...Sorry to hear that....My guess is that the thief is not that far away. Judging by the things taken, it sounds either like a boater with a specific shopping list, or mischievous kids.

If a thief wanted to sell the stuff, they'd take the electronics. I'm thinking small boat, maybe even engineless, or a dinghy, electric motor? for stealth..

I'd team up with my neighbor in the carolina skiff and go cruising the neighborhood...

I hate thieves!
Old 11-10-2010, 15:36   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
I agree you were robbed by a criminal. It is normal for them to take anything they can turn into money quickly, and be off the boat in less than a minute. Whether they were in a car, motorcycle or boat does not mean a thing- they exploited a weakness. People in your neighborhood felt that the water was safe, so they left stuff out.
I am sorry for your loss. I had professional mechanics tools (snap-on, etc) ripped off when I was a young graduate student. Why? because we left the garage door unlocked (small one) while the wash was being done. They didn't take anything else. Tools can be taken to any pawn shop and fenced for $$. In fact, if you want them back that is where I would look.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 15:39   #13

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
I'm certain mimsy meant that karma will catch up to the thief not the Ti Punch. Maybe we'll hear from them again.
Getting ripped off is a real bummer.
It is my opinion that thieves and robbers are looking for grab and go stuff and not make a bunch of noise to get in somewhere if they can target something easier to steal. Make it hard for them and they probably won't take your stuff. Was your dog on duty?
kind regards,
Old 11-10-2010, 15:41   #14
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
You were robbed by a crook.

They look for easy pickins.

Leaving you boat unlocked is not prudent......
You made it too easy for them.

How about a cheap alarm system on the plexiglass slider in the cockpit?
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 15:47   #15

Boat: Endeavour 37
This was a team event, one stole your stuff, the other bought it cheap on e-bay or at a yard sale. Both are criminals
magicmoments is offline   Reply With Quote