Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 16:00   #16

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Lights with Motion sensor might be good to use.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 16:06   #17

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogenes726 View Post
So basically you are saying that he deserves to be robbed because of some bad deed he did in his past? NICE
That's not what I meant or implied at all. I feel terribly sorry for the theft the OP suffered but take great heart in thinking that the thief will be repaid for his misdeed by karma. How did you miss this? Based on other posting of yours diogenes, I get the distinct impression someone pissed in your Cheerios.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 16:09   #18
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
I agree. I hate thieves. I've been ripped off many times. Never able to catch them in the act or after. The real shame would be that if I did finally catch one in the act that he would have to pay for all the others I didn't catch as well.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 16:12   #19
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
That's not what I meant or implied at all. I feel terribly sorry for the theft the OP suffered but take great heart in thinking that the thief will be repaid for his misdeed by karma. How did you miss this? Based on other posting of yours diogenes, I get the distinct impression someone pissed in your Cheerios.

We understood exactly what you meant Minsy. So did diogenes. He's just trying to be clever at your expense.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 16:19   #20

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch
Yea, well, that diogenes sure is clever...
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 16:20   #21

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Antigua 37 - Ti' Punch
Newt - good call on the pawn shops. There are a couple nearby. It wouldn't hurt to check.

Dan_78 - the boat sits under a dusk to dawn light on the dock. There are also small lights all along the dock. I guess it wouldn't hurt to add even more lights.

SkiprJohn - I have two dogs and a cat, not a peep out of any of them. My neighbor has a chocolate lab that stays outside, but that thing barks so much that its almost like white noise.

Sounds like the consensus is to lock up. We've been here ten years with zero issues. I'm trying not to blow this out of proportion, but I definitely don't want to lose anything else. Thanks to everyone for all the responses.
Ti' Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 16:21   #22
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
We understood exactly what you meant Minsy. So did diogenes. He's just trying to be clever at your expense.
I thought it was quite funny

(the karma joke, not getting robbed )
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 16:42   #23

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
GE makes a wireless alarm system (Simon XT) that is relatively inexpensive and Home Depot sells a cheaper version of the same system. When the alarm goes off it is actually painfull. You can put magnetic switches on your hatches and a motion detector as well.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 17:04   #24

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Sounds like a good excuse to sleep on the boat.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 17:38   #25

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Naked..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 19:20   #26

Every Coin Has Two Sides

I thought diogenes' comment was a clever commentary on the tendency to accept only the part of an idea that appeals to us, and ignore the fuller ramifications. It's very Western to approach other world views with a "cafeteria" mentality, choosing only those aspects you fancy, and combining them with other individual pleasant aspects from other, unrelated, or actually incompatible, systems.

For those who believe in such things, if something bad happens to you, that is karma at work in your life, as well, connecting that effect to some cause that you initiated, in motive, thought, or deed.

That's the inconvenient bit: we want to think that we're "basically good people" who don't deserve bad karma. But the effect (something "bad" happening, i.e., bad karma) is the evidence to the contrary, in that belief system.

I'm not persuaded by the idea of karmic law: I think you were just a victim of statistics: by definition, a low crime neighborhood has some crime. This time, you were the victim. Consider yourself fortunate that the thieves were such casual small-timers; accept that you cannot be quite as trusting as you would like to be, and begin to lock your stuff up; don't over-react and become hyper-vigilant and paranoid about every unfamiliar face.
Old 11-10-2010, 19:27   #27
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
You can get a 9 volt motion sensor with siren......

I got a couple at Boat US years ago....the batteries last a long time and the thing is LOUD
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 19:33   #28

Boat: Custom
Happened to me. I got one of those self contained sliding window alarms and attached it to the hatch. As soon as the hatch is moved it screams.

Scares the crooks and they move on in case someone comes to investigate $6 at hardware store

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 20:43   #29

The time of the year for boats getting ripped off here in San Diego is when the Baja Haha comes through. It sucks, but like clockwork over the last few years when the Haha crew comes through dinghies cruise around and steal things. It's not the Haha people themselves but more the fact that if you have 300 people and even a third of one percent of them is an *******, that's one guy in a dinghy hopping in a cockpit and stealing someone's fishing pole.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 21:08   #30

Location: On the Gorge waterway in the heart of Victoria, British Columbia.
Boat: Explorer 44 by Stan Huntingford. Building in progress.
This kind of thing does take the wind out of your sails. I have been there a few times and can almost guarantee that whoever did it will be back withing two weeks. It will be the same people.

The last time this happened here we had all the neighbours alerted to the theft of a boston whaler the previous week. So when the same thieves came back, one alert neighbour noticed a ripple in the water reflected from a distant light and started phoning everyone that was in the know. We had more people following these goons by kayak, by boat and on foot after they untied a 19 foot Campion and tried to paddle it away quietly down the Gorge waterway. We were so glad to see the local police have them spread-eagle on the docks in front of the grand old Empress Hotel in the Victoria harbour.

Be proactive and get all your neighbours involved and some day you will get your pound of flesh.
Bruce Bevan is offline   Reply With Quote