Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2010, 19:15   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Looks like you've actually extended Sealife's landing gear and rolled across various islands along the way but generally good stuff, mate!

Also on my screen IE8.0 with a widescreen 21" monitor I need to scroll right a bit to see the whole map.

It would be cool if you could reduce the width of the LH menu bar at some point.

Blue track color and thickness all is fine for me (although magenta is my fav). I too had to load the Google Earth plug in - no big deal.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 23:08   #17
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

Also on my screen IE8.0 with a widescreen 21" monitor I need to scroll right a bit to see the whole map.

It would be cool if you could reduce the width of the LH menu bar at some point.

Hi Dan,
Coiuld you get me a screenshot of that please? The CSS should set the left column. The buttons only 150px wide.
Who in the world has a 21 inch screen? That could buy a brand new crusing boat!!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 23:38   #18

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Hi Dan,
Coiuld you get me a screenshot of that please? The CSS should set the left column. The buttons only 150px wide.
Who in the world has a 21 inch screen? That could buy a brand new crusing boat!!

Works fine with chrome on a 22 inch screen

Red line on blue sea
What happened around Indonesia? No stops or just no entries?
Old 19-04-2010, 00:07   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Hi Dan,
Christmas present last year. I asked Santa for a new cruising boat but I must have been bad. It did allow me to get rid of a bazillion pound 19" CRT.

Here is my screen shot. Just a tiny bit of scrolling needed...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Marks Map.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	15449  
Old 19-04-2010, 09:58   #20
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Christmas present last year. I asked Santa for a new cruising boat but I must have been bad.
Santa gave you seconds. Loooooooooser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
What happened around Indonesia? No stops or just no entries?
I was fighting Google at the time and we will have to go back and fill in the details. Sparce details.

Thanks folks.

Its so tough out here cruisng... deciding what colour the line should be... and how to stuff up viewers computers...

Mark

Old 19-04-2010, 14:02   #21

Boat: Beneteau First 42
So Mark--How's the yacht holding up? You know, those Beneteau's are supposedly really poorly manufactured--at least that's what I seem to hear all the time (of course not from Beneteau owners!), so I am curious to know what you think of SeaLife now that you've got her broken in a bit. And, moreso, what Nic thinks of her?

Cheers---

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 23:04   #22
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
So Mark--How's the yacht holding up? You know, those Beneteau's are supposedly really poorly manufactured--at least that's what I seem to hear all the time (of course not from Beneteau owners!), so I am curious to know what you think of SeaLife now that you've got her broken in a bit. And, moreso, what Nic thinks of her?
Quote:

Cheers---

s/v HyLyte

Who knows what she thinks of it? She's still asleep.....!

The boat is fine! far better than expected in many ways.
Perfect for cruising.
Most folks when they come aboard from their own boat honestly comment on the large living areas and storage.

Virtually nothing has gone wrong *touch wood!*

The only thing that has gone wrong that has me flummoxed is a new problem where the main traveler have bitten away at the pin base for one of the mainsheet turning blocks. It was when we were coming heavily upwind in 3o to 40kts with an old sail. But it shouldn’t happen.

Anyway, it will probably be a subject of another thread because I might need some advice with it.

In hindsight would I buy another? Yes, absolutely! Its the best cruising boat in the fleet! Given pirce, obviously. Anyone would still prefer an Oyster! But I would prefer a Bene over any other heavier boat no matter the cost.

I firmly believe people looking at boats to buy need to go in with an open miind. Too many times do I read about people looking a sailing characteristics of a boat that are irrelevant, obsolete and even dangerous. Looking at things that racing boats got rid of in the 1960's, that even Chitchester got rid of, that Slocome wouldn't have.
The most ludicrous of these that too much space below is dangerous for a crusing yacht because one can somehow be propelled across the boat in a storm (if its that stormy go accros the deck on your bum!). Space is the premium on a cruising boat.
So when looking at a boat (go to boat shows!) it is stupid to ask the fiberglass thickness and then say you require a 1 inch FBG hull. Modern boats are engineered not to need it, its not desirable and the boat will not flex!

Its like cars at home. There are those that are happy driving a Ford, GM etc and those that will ONLY drive a Renault or Audi. Are they better cars? The individuals who buy them will decry all others, but millions of miles per day are done in Fords and GM's safely, comfortably and economically

I love our boat, and her limited maintenance required

May she hold together for many years to come!

Mark

Old 20-04-2010, 05:23   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Maybe the majority of folks around here are right and it's not so much the boat but the sailor.

(That Nic must be doing one helluva job to get a Benetoy half way round...)
Old 20-04-2010, 09:41   #24

Quote:
The boat is fine! far better than expected in many ways. Perfect for cruising. Most folks when they come aboard from their own boat honestly comment on the large living areas and storage.
Mark--

Thanks for the up-date. It's nice to hear from someone that's actually putting the boat to the test rather than an arm-chair critic. I'm reassured that Sea Life will continue to serve you well and keep you and Nic safe...

As for Nic sleeping, it must be a Beneteau effect on wives. Whenever we head out, once we've got the yacht set up my (much) better half settles down with a book and often before she's through even a single paragraph, she's pumping out ZZZZZ's.

Cheers,

svHyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 20-04-2010, 10:51   #25

Looks good, how long before you finish circling the marble?
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 22:39   #26
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Looks good, how long before you finish circling the marble?
December back in the Caribbean. Finghers crossed

Quote:
Mark--

Thanks for the up-date.
svHyLyte
How is yours going? We met one person crusing a first 40 (or was it 44?) and he loved it!

Old 21-04-2010, 08:43   #27

Quote:
How is yours going? We met one person crusing a first 40 (or was it 44?) and he loved it!
Actually HyLyte has proven to be a terrific yacht although we've not been able to use her as we had planned when we bought her in 2002 due to an accident that cost me part of the use of my left arm and aging parents who suddenly needed much more care and looking after than not. As a consequence our cruising has been limited to the southwest coast of Florida. Never-the-less, the yacht has been exceptional. Fast, comfortable, durable, reliable and reassuring in a blow..particularly for my much better half. Friends of ours with the same yacht--they were both on the assembly line at the same tine in Europe--have sailed their yacht extnsively and hold the same opinion (see Ocean Angel ) and are now in the Bahamas forwarding up-dates from time to time.

Frankly, Mark, I asked about Sea Life, anticipating how you would respond, simply for the sake of rebutting some of the rubish repeatedly posted about Beneteau yachts. The proof is in the pudding, eh?

N'any case, keep well. We have enjoyed following your adventures on your site and wish you continued fair seas and new adventures.

Cheers,

s/v HyLyte
Old 21-04-2010, 09:36   #28
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:

N'any case, keep well. We have enjoyed following your adventures on your site and wish you continued fair seas and new adventures.

Cheers,

s/v HyLyte
Thanks

We love it and never know when the next adventure is...

like today, we walked around a corner to see this lil fella:

Its kinda what its all about
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2995.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	15552   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3017sm.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	15553  

Old 21-04-2010, 11:27   #29

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
No google earth plugin for Ubuntu Linux.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 19:31   #30

Boat: Tartan 37
Lucky, lucky! Route looks fine on a netbook FF 3.6 and IE8. 10.1" screen. No complaints except that you're there while my boat sits on the dry, dry land until Saturday.