Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2015, 14:46   #1

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
Posh private university thinks "yacht club" is snobby

The student senate at Pitzer College has flatly rejected a student’s proposal to establish a campus yachting club due to concerns that the name of the yacht club is “exclusive” — and “luxurious” and “classist,” and fails to support “queer and trans people of color.”

Pitzer is a small, private college in Southern California where the cost for one year of tuition, fees and room and board is $63,880.

“Student Senate voted against this club instatement last night, as the majority of Senators found the name ‘Yacht Club’ to have a particularly offensive association with Yacht Clubs and a recreation known for being exclusive,” bearded Pitzer student senator Taylor Novick-Finder wrote in a Sunday email, according to Campus Reform.

The Pitzer student who sought to start the yacht club is junior Jordan Fox, who has no sailing experience — but, obviously, would like to acquire some.

“We were turned down just because of our name,” Fox told The Claremont Independent, the campus newspaper. “We have been trying to talk about the description of the club, but everyone is so focused on the name. We never had intentions of making this club offensive in any way. I certainly never would have thought this name could be considered classist.”

Some students at the fancypants, $63,880-per-year school said they oppose the yachting club because they oppose elitism.

“It doesn’t matter what it is called, the club itself is a classist and inaccessible activity for people who are not wealthy,” one unidentified student wrote on Pitzer’s Class of 2019 Facebook page, according to the Independent. “Pitzer’s money would be going towards a luxurious classist, elitist yachting activity (alienating students on campus who are lower income) instead of going to support for example queer and trans people of color, disabled students, working class students, indigenous/Native American students, etc.”

Other students disagreed.

“I think you are missing the point that this club would open up access to sailing for people who have never been able to experience it, like myself,” senior Kyle Dalrymple wrote, according to Campus Reform. “Additionally, I will stress again the approval of a club has nothing to do with the budget allocated to it.”

In addition to official campus recognition, Fox had requested $5,000 as seed money to rent boats and hire instructors.

Fox emphasized that he isn’t trying to offend anyone.

“I by no means want anyone to feel uncomfortable. I would just like a space on campus where we as students can enjoy and learn more about sailing, boating, the ocean, and sea chanteys,” Fox told the campus newspaper. “After the meeting, we are planning to change the name of the club or possibly drop the matter altogether.”

Pitzer’s student council rarely rejects appeals for official recognition for student groups. In past years, a hammock club and a cake club had been rejected because, student senators recalled, those clubs were too much like existing campus clubs.

Pitzer, which was founded by a well-heeled orange grower, is one of the The Claremont Colleges — a consortium of five undergraduate schools located close to one another.

The swanky school’s endowment is $134.3 million. The collective endowment of the five colleges in the Claremont consortium is $3.53 billion.

Read more: Yacht Club Too 'Exclusive' For Pitzer | The Daily Caller

Yacht Club Too 'Exclusive' For Pitzer | The Daily Caller
Old 07-10-2015, 15:01   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Posh private university thinks "yacht club" is snobby

So just call it Sailing Club or Boat Club or Dinghy Club.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 15:19   #3

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

Student government has obviously not been to a meeting of the Dana West Yacht Club
Old 07-10-2015, 16:01   #4

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

It sounds like the club goals were not presented well.
On the other hand, idealism to be more inclusive, no matter the source, has the potential to yield lasting fruit. I hope these "senators" keep these goals in mind as they go forward.

Of course I see the irony, but I still have some idealism myself. Change begins with the little things.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 16:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
So just call it Sailing Club or Boat Club or Dinghy Club.
Exactly.

Also... if university students truly have time to maintain and sail big boats ("yachts") during the school year... they're probably not studying hard enough. If that's what interests them, they can play with Daddy's boat during their summers off.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 17:05   #6

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

They must have grown up watching Thurston Howell III on re runs of Gilligan's Island...they should understand that sailing is educated hard work. I do however enjoy my Blue Doublebreasted blazer and yachting hat...they look particularly good with my boggs:-).
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 17:39   #7

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

My definition of a yacht is simply a vessel that doesn't work to pay it's way. A yacht can be tiny or huge.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 17:47   #8

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

"Applied Fluid Dynamics Club," anyone?
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 18:04   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
"Applied Fluid Dynamics Club," anyone?
I like it!
Old 07-10-2015, 18:19   #10

Boat: Island Packet 40

They could join the Shag Island Yacht Club (members refer to themselves as "Shaggers, which in the Australian vernacular is a synonym for "fornicators") if looking for exclusiveness, every member is a Vice Commodore, lifetime international membership for one very modest joining fee.
RaymondR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 18:19   #11

Boat: Valiant 42

Rewnewable Energy & Marine Environmental Club

Our goal is to harness the power of the wind and thus eliminate all CO2 emissions in the pursuit of cleaner transportation. We will build an all-inclusive community of like minded individuals who seek to better the environment through application of sound engineering principles while maintaining the pristine natural environment. Come join us for a fun time learning the benefits of our planet's natural energy sources. We plan to have friendly competitions every month and everyone will be a winner no matter whether they finish or not.

Do you think that club would be sanctioned?
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 18:30   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Rewnewable Energy & Marine Environmental Club

Our goal is to harness the power of the wind and thus eliminate all CO2 emissions in the pursuit of cleaner transportation. We will build an all-inclusive community of like minded individuals who seek to better the environment through application of sound engineering principles while maintaining the pristine natural environment. Come join us for a fun time learning the benefits of our planet's natural energy sources. We plan to have friendly competitions every month and everyone will be a winner no matter whether they finish or not.

Do you think that club would be sanctioned?
Yep, that should really do it
Old 07-10-2015, 20:22   #13

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

The senator detractors are disgusting on many levels.
I'll leave it there to your imagination....

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 20:33   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Only in the US does the word 'yacht' engender this sort of thing... it's just a PRIVATE boat, as opposed to a commercial one. In much of the world it means sail only but less so as time goes on. I wasn't pleased when the Olympics changed the events from yachting to sailing, same with USYRU to US Sailing.... it lets those with a pejorative sense of the term win.... it's just a boat, whether Sunfish or 12 meter!
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht