Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2019, 16:25   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
One for the minimalists.

https://youtu.be/BUyxjlDZaV8

I gotta say, after looking at that interior I am feeling better about my boat fitout.
Old 27-09-2019, 19:42   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: One for the minimalists.

EVERY single thing you do to a boat to make it a comfortable cruiser adds weight, sorta negates "fast". Your Swanson was not built with "fast" in mind.

You may remember a poster here called Weyalan, from Tasmania. He and his wife carefully modified a race boat. I remember when the addition was a sliding door to the head, so privacy was available. Probably was foam cored. His cruising mainsail was a sail built to the specs of his first reef. Still won races with it from time to time.

Ann
Old 27-09-2019, 20:48   #3

Boat: Pearson 367

Wow, what a boat! Seems to me that the weakest link is the watermaker and water tankage. He doesn't describe a way to catch water. If his water maker fails and he only carries 1-2 gallons of water his race will be over rather quickly. Then again, he doesn't give detail if his water ballast is desalinated or seawater.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 21:54   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
Wow, what a boat! Seems to me that the weakest link is the watermaker and water tankage. He doesn't describe a way to catch water. If his water maker fails and he only carries 1-2 gallons of water his race will be over rather quickly. Then again, he doesn't give detail if his water ballast is desalinated or seawater.

Ballast on those boats is seawater. They are constantly adding and subtracting ballast based on conditions. And you could see he was sitting over one of the scoop hoses which are monstrous big things.

But yeah, that fresh water arrangement looked pretty minimalist to me. I was kinda shocked because I am currently try to squeeze 800 litres of fresh water into my boat.

As for the toilet... given the amount of debate about the various setups here on CF, I’m kinda tempted to start a thread discussing the merits of a carbon fibre bucket with bio bags.
Old 27-09-2019, 23:01   #5

One thing I'm interested in is how much they expect this boat to foil. I know of the cats and trimarans that foil and have set records for transatlantics and California to Hawaii. Those are fairly predictable conditions and rather benign by sailing standards. Getting a foiling monohull into the southern ocean for extended periods and singlehanding I think would be a whole other issue. As Alex mentioned he is completely protected in that cockpit and that will save him a lot of calories. I think it would still be exhausting trying to keep that boat foiling.
Old 27-09-2019, 23:38   #6

Quote:
One thing I'm interested in is how much they expect this boat to foil. I know of the cats and trimarans that foil and have set records for transatlantics and California to Hawaii. Those are fairly predictable conditions and rather benign by sailing standards. Getting a foiling monohull into the southern ocean for extended periods and singlehanding I think would be a whole other issue. As Alex mentioned he is completely protected in that cockpit and that will save him a lot of calories. I think it would still be exhausting trying to keep that boat foiling.

He mentions a race with a crew member in two weeks. That will at least give us a hint, but you are right, doing so solo is another matter altogether.
Old 28-09-2019, 00:29   #7

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Offshore foiling is now commonplace. They will expect the boat to foil, or foil assist, most of the time. The IMOCA Charal says they use the foils from 8kn boat speed.

These boats have very sophisticated autopilots that helm the boat most of the time. And the boat actually handles better and is more comfortable when it is up on the foils, especially in heavy seas, since the boat is either partially or fully up above the sea state.

Charal's skipper says that injuries are now becoming common place, but at least the IMOCAs are better than the Volvo boats because you can be inside and be protected. Hence why the new generation boats are becoming more and more enclosed.

There are also offshore foiling trimarans in the Ultime class such as Edmond De Rothschild, Macif, and Sodebo. These are 100ft long and capable of 50kn offshore.

The new Sodebo is very interesting, it also has a mostly enclosed cockpit, but (for multiple different reasons) mounted way forward, in fact it's actually in front of the mast!

https://www.sailmagazine.com/multihu...of-big-foilers

Here is the IMOCA Banque Populaire VIII foiling in breeze and sea. This is a previous generation boat. The new boats such as Hugo Boss and the already launched Charal have much bigger foils, will be much faster, and will foil much more consistently.

Charal.

Next Gen IMOCA 60 racing yacht: CHARAL |

The new Hugo Boss foiling after launch.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 00:58   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Wow, what a boat! Seems to me that the weakest link is the watermaker and water tankage.
Surely the lack of a kettle is the weakest link, how is he going to make tea

They were out testing the other day in Portsmouth harbour. I gave him a wide berth, don't want to hit that thing, or be scalped by a foil.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 01:23   #9

Jmh2002, it's amazing stuff. Maybe I'm more of a fan of the VOR because someone is always driving the boat vs a computer, ie a sophisticated autopilot. It reminds me of formula one racing and whether they allow ABS, traction control, and stability management.
Old 28-09-2019, 01:28   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

They were out testing the other day in Portsmouth harbour. I gave him a wide berth, don't want to hit that thing, or be scalped by a foil.
The funny thing is that in a multi million dollar yacht he is using a jet boil which is a $150 camp stove. They placed a bolt on it and it fits to an attachment and its gimballed.

There is a fun game called rich man/poor man. You have the same statement and it could either be applied to a rich man or a poor man.

You make your dinner every night over a camp stove.
You crap in a bucket every night.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AdamCarolla..._man_examples/
Old 28-09-2019, 03:24   #11

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

Quote:
The funny thing is that in a multi million dollar yacht he is using a jet boil which is a $150 camp stove. They placed a bolt on it and it fits to an attachment and its gimballed.

There is a fun game called rich man/poor man. You have the same statement and it could either be applied to a rich man or a poor man.

You make your dinner every night over a camp stove.
You crap in a bucket every night.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AdamCarolla..._man_examples/
I toured the Volvo Open, Team New Zealand "Camper" when it called in Lyttleton, NZ, where we lived at the time. It had similar luxuries, including the camp stove but the head was made of carbon fibre (as was pretty much everything else) and had a shower curtain around it. We have a real stove, a porcelain toilet in the head with a door, and other useful things but we prefer a bucket in the cockpit for bathing!
Old 28-09-2019, 04:03   #12

Real sailors drink Coffee, not tea!

I've raced on some carbon boats before but this is extreme. The noise down below will be deafening and I believe the movement so violent that they go around on their hands and knees because to stand up is to risk injury.

Tip my hat to these boys and girls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 06:55   #13
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Talking about comfort in this context, is about as relevant as wrt marathon running, or "those Tour de France bikes don't appear comfortable enough".

It's all about performance, and not just pounds but every ounce is counted. Comfort is completely irrelevant.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 08:15   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
One for the minimalists.

At least in bicycles and endurance races, comfort is very important.
Many, many of the tour’s bikes were actually US made by a small company in Tennessee, they were Titanium frames and were much more comfortable than carbon fiber or even steel, but especially aluminum.
Comfort reduces fatigue, and if your less fatigued, your faster at the end of a race, where the race is often decided.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litespeed
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote