Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2019, 18:52   #1081
Registered User
 
jackdale's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,527
Images: 1
Re: Ocean acidifcation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I've explained it to you several times already .
yep from pumping watts into a great big thermal battery during the grand solar maximum and now it is cooling as the burner is getting turned down soon it will be back to " room temperature"
But the graphic showed temperatures have been increasing over the past few decades.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2949692
__________________

__________________
CRYA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator, Sail
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is online now  
Old 08-08-2019, 18:52   #1082
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 8,550
Re: Ocean acidifcation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleduck View Post
Great, Any news on why fish smell yet?
i actually explained it to you I would get banned from cruisers forum for life .
__________________

__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline  
Old 08-08-2019, 18:53   #1083
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lake Ont
Posts: 5,434
Re: Ocean acidifcation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
[COLOR="navy"]It's NOT just about the level of CO2 (although natural forces can influence to some degree), it's ALSO about natural forces in their own right. What is your argument here? That all warming is derived from CO2? OK fine, you & Jack. Argue about it with a climate scientist. But surely you understand that there are other (minority) positions out there. Try it out with them!

I thought you said you were leaving?
We're up north now, launched, and now it's raining.

My argument continues to be that IF there were natural factors that have made significant contributions to warming, via CO2 or another mechanism... we'd know already and the majority of the field would not be wasting your time with their concerns about AGW.

Also, there are scientific dissenters, but no solid alternative hypothesis to explain warming. That kind of lends credibility to the dominant hypothesis of AGW

All aspects of a serious issue should be examined, but unfounded skepticism is not a good reason to suppress a well-founded conclusion.

Out of phone range starting tomorrow. Promise.
Lake-Effect is offline  
Old 08-08-2019, 18:54   #1084
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Devon, UK
Posts: 137
Re: Ocean acidifcation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Why fish smell, or why it's a problem for fish to lose their sense of smell?
Yes the latter thanks
Puddleduck is offline  
Old 08-08-2019, 18:55   #1085
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 4,792
Re: Ocean acidifcation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Great ad hom.
Based on your style of posting, not really ad hom. Constructive debate is about acknowledging contrary positions and swaying people away from them. You do a good job of that when you make an effort to be civil, but it never seems to last. Then it just devolves into a ridiculous game of "gotcha."
Exile is offline  
Old 08-08-2019, 18:56   #1086
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 8,550
Re: Ocean acidifcation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
We're up north now, launched, and now it's raining.

My argument continues to be that IF there were natural factors that have made significant contributions to warming, via CO2 or another mechanism... we'd know already and the majority of the field would not be wasting your time with their concerns about AGW.

Also, there are scientific dissenters, but no solid alternative hypothesis to explain warming. That kind of lends credibility to the dominant hypothesis of AGW

All aspects of a serious issue should be examined, but unfounded skepticism is not a good reason to suppress a well-founded conclusion.

Out of phone range starting tomorrow. Promise.
to much money and politicians involved from the beginning for it to ever end peacefully .
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline  
Old 08-08-2019, 18:57   #1087
Registered User
 
jackdale's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,527
Images: 1
Re: Ocean acidifcation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Based on your style of posting, not really ad hom. Constructive debate is about acknowledging contrary positions and swaying people away from them. You do a good job of that when you make an effort to be civil, but it never seems to last. Then it just devolves into a ridiculous game of "gotcha."
Another ad hom. You have run out of valid points.
__________________
CRYA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator, Sail
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is online now  
Old 08-08-2019, 19:02   #1088
Registered User
 
jackdale's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,527
Images: 1
Re: Ocean acidifcation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
I've presented plenty of "evidence," just as easily as you do thanks to Google. Having a long list of "evidence" filed on a computer doesn't take any scientific expertise. But what I haven't done is try and pass myself off as an actual expert and then present "evidence" based on my personal preferences, at times in a transparent effort to mislead. That's anathema to real objectivity, and so patently UNscientific.
Please provide a link to piece of peer-reviewed science to which you have referred.

I do not pass myself off as an expert, but I can recognize expertise.
__________________
CRYA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator, Sail
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is online now  
Old 08-08-2019, 19:19   #1089
Registered User
 
JC Reefer's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 296
Re: Ocean acidifcation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Why fish smell, or why it's a problem for fish to lose their sense of smell?

I’m real sorry to ask but can someone explain the fish joke?

What with their sense of small or something?
JC Reefer is offline  
Old 08-08-2019, 19:20   #1090
Registered User
 
Alan Mighty's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Moreton Bay
Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Posts: 1,488
Re: Ocean acidifcation .

A goodly chunk of my cruising involves coastlines.

CSIRO scientists, scientists employed by the Australian government agency for scientific research, and scientists from two Australian universities in July 2019 published peer-reviewed science research on climate change-caused extreme climate events affecting more than 45% of Australia's coastline.

See: Babcock et al., Severe Continental-Scale Impacts of Climate Change Are Happening Now: Extreme Climate Events Impact Marine Habitat Forming Communities Along 45% of Australia’s Coast, in Frontiers of Marine Science, (July 2019),

https://doi.org/10.3389/fmars.2019.00411

or

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles...019.00411/full

Sure, it's not just about changes in pH. Much more than that.

Sure, it's not just about coral reefs. Much more than that: seagrass meadows, mangroves, and kelp too.

But it is about the coastlines along which some of us cruise. So it's relevant to the Forum.
__________________
“Fools say that you can only gain experience at your own expense, but I have always contrived to gain my experience at the expense of others.” - Otto von Bismarck
Alan Mighty is offline  
Old 08-08-2019, 19:31   #1091
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 3,992
Re: Ocean acidifcation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleduck View Post
No no, you keep going!

Actually, I think I’d rather sail with someone else, thanks anyway

You've no idea what you're going to miss. They don't call me Princeps Bligh for nothing!
Reefmagnet is offline  
Old 08-08-2019, 19:35   #1092
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 8,550
Re: Ocean acidifcation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
You've no idea what you're going to miss. They don't call me Princeps Bligh for nothing!
I don't think he knows that there is over 70° latitude difference in your locations .

How's the winter in McKay today ?
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline  
Old 08-08-2019, 19:41   #1093
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 3,992
Re: Ocean acidifcation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Reefer View Post
I’m real sorry to ask but can someone explain the fish joke?

What with their sense of small or something?

It's in reference to a link posted recently about the effect on the olfactory senses of the European Sea bass at pH levels that might occur in the 22nd century and how it may affect their ability to find food and sense danger. Not the loss of smelling, just a reduction of, err, efficiency or some such thing. The joke is the research was done by a serial research fund seeking fish physiologist to the tune of about one hundred thousand British pounds.



But like all good jokes, it has a secondary punch line in that had the author consulted your typical keen recreational fisherman targeting the researched species, she'd have realised in 5 minutes that these things smash lures like there is no tomorrow so perhaps the 100% smelling ability thing isn't that high on their list of essential survival tools.
Reefmagnet is offline  
Old 08-08-2019, 19:45   #1094
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 3,992
Re: Ocean acidifcation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I don't think he knows that there is over 70° latitude difference in your locations .

How's the winter in McKay today ?

That would be "Mackay". We're not in Scotland.


Absolutely glorious, little warmer than average actually.


But that will soon change. Damn you global warming, err, I mean climate change. Damn you to Hell!


https://www.news.com.au/technology/e...5d638f96cfe336

A polar blast will hit large parts of Australia today and last for days, bring severe wind and low temps
Reefmagnet is offline  
Old 08-08-2019, 20:01   #1095
Registered User
 
JC Reefer's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 296
Re: Ocean acidifcation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
It's in reference to a link posted recently about the effect on the olfactory senses of the European Sea bass at pH levels that might occur in the 22nd century and how it may affect their ability to find food and sense danger. Not the loss of smelling, just a reduction of, err, efficiency or some such thing. The joke is the research was done by a serial research fund seeking fish physiologist to the tune of about one hundred thousand British pounds.



But like all good jokes, it has a secondary punch line in that had the author consulted your typical keen recreational fisherman targeting the researched species, she'd have realised in 5 minutes that these things smash lures like there is no tomorrow so perhaps the 100% smelling ability thing isn't that high on their list of essential survival tools.

Lol Nice.
__________________

JC Reefer is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Star in the Ocean - A lonely and his beloved (the star) are crossing the ocean Velanera General Sailing Forum 18 21-12-2017 05:22
For Sale: Ocean 60 - Southern Ocean Shipyards for sale Ocean Viking Classifieds Archive 2 12-05-2013 04:30
Volvo Ocean racers take a rain check on the Indian ocean sarafina Cruising News & Events 7 06-02-2012 13:52
World Ocean Database and World Ocean Atlas Series GordMay The Library 2 15-01-2007 21:14
Cruising the Indian Ocean Bob Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans 1 29-03-2003 09:46

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:14.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.