Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2019, 01:14   #736

Boat: 2004 Steber 2200 Persuader
Re: Ocean acidifcation .

And in case you still believe the "environmentalist" and all the other Climate heros are interested in your wellbeing, please check out the latest marvel of the environmental movement, the "Extinction Rebellion".

What is their main goal? Bring down capitalism!
No surprises there.

And for all the good people who have been hoodwinked by this and all the other mobs before them, please! your enthusiasm is worthy of a better cause.

This people are bonkers.
And so are greenpeace bonkeroos, and Get Up and the rest of the lot.
https://xrebellion.org/
Old 07-08-2019, 04:24   #737

Uh-Oh. Another ocean acidification study not involving the addition of hydrochloric acid.

Ocean Acidification Is Frying Fish’s Sense of Smell
Quote:
.....Over the last two centuries, the extra CO2 humanity has pumped into the atmosphere has increased ocean acidity by 43 percent. It’s estimated that by 2100 the ocean could be 2.5 times more acidic than it is now....

“The sense of smell of sea bass was reduced by up to half in sea water that was acidified with a level of CO2 predicted for the end of the century. Their ability to detect and respond to some odors associated with food and threatening situations was more strongly affected than for other odors,” says the study's lead author Cosima Porteus, a fish physiologist at the University of Exeter in the United Kingdom. “We think this is explained by acidified water affecting how odorant molecules bind to olfactory receptors in the fish's nose, reducing how well they can distinguish these important stimuli.”.....

It’s likely that acidification won’t just impact sea bass. Porteus says the results should apply to almost all fish including cod, salmon, haddock and other economically important species and may apply to marine invertebrates like lobster as well......
Once again I need to apologize to Exile for borrowing the words of subject-matter experts rather than bloviating on topics I know nothing about -- a technique he and his fellow deniers strongly prefer.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:31   #738
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc1 View Post
this people are bonkers.
And so are greenpeace bonkeroos, and Get Up and the rest of the lot.
https://xrebellion.org/
hey now I have to come to the defense of Greenpeace .
Not because I believe any of their Crap but because they are my loonies .
They started here in my cruising grounds.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:34   #739
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
Uh-Oh. Another ocean acidification study not involving the addition of hydrochloric acid.

Once again I need to apologize to Exile for borrowing the words of subject-matter experts rather than bloviating on topics I know nothing about -- a technique he and his fellow deniers strongly prefer.
it will ruin the sea bass sense of smell eh well alrighty then . I guess that means my grand kids will have to use stinkier bait to catch them .
Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:42   #740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Excellent work! 87% of all human C02 from fossil fuel burning. I figured you were just pretending not to understand what I was asking about before. Silly me for thinking you just weren't catching on. Of course, this means that when you make all those personal sacrifices to cut back on your own carbon footprint it won't be wasted from all that concrete production.

Hey, have you taken the ProTruth Pledge? It's just above SkepticalScience's course on making sense of climate science denial! I was going to do it but I only have Rocky-the-Bulldog around the house tonight and he refused to be a witness. Dumb dog's probably been reading one of those climate denial aggregator sites again.
Your powers to ignore facts are formidable.

Any luck finding Natural Forces that have only just popped up about the same time we started using fossil fuels? I hope you removed your watch first.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:18   #741

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:

Despite being lazy and incompetent, I'd thought I'd "follow the money" on this piece of research. It turns out that Dr Cosima Porteus is quite the working mum. Wanting to further her career after having her first child, she's not backwards in coming forwards about hunting down research grants and is quick to declare herself hard done by when rejected...

Quote:
Since having my son, I returned to work part-time as it helps me balance family life with my career. Recently, I wanted to apply for a fellowship which would provide me with funds to continue my current research. However, my part-time work was not taken into account, meaning that the funding body said that I had more experience than I actually did and was unable to apply.
Women are two to three times more likely to be part-time than men and most funding agencies take part-time work into account when considering eligibility.
This made me take action to make sure other people working part-time - male or female - did not encounter such discrimination in the future. It also motivated me to apply for an even more prestigious fellowship.
She's persistent it seems, and is reaping the benefits
Quote:
09/2018 - present Postdoctoral fellow funded by NC3Rs, University of Exeter
03/2018 - 08/2018 Postdoctoral fellow funded by BBSRC FLIP, University of Exeter
Back on task, It would seem that she went looking for a problem and consequently found it...

Quote:
Atmospheric levels of carbon dioxide (CO2) are rising faster that any time in the last million years and the end of this century levels of CO2 are likely to have biologically significant impacts on fish populations and related socio-economics through rising temperatures (i.e. global warming). However, over a quarter of anthropogenic CO2 is absorbed by the oceans, which causes ocean acidification. Studies are already underway to understand how this higher CO2 marine environment may have minor effects on the growth and health of wild fish populations and those species grown in aquaculture. However, this approach to studying climate change impacts is ignoring perhaps a more ecologically important and potentially catastrophic influence of elevated CO2 on marine fish. This is based upon the recent and unexpected discovery that the offspring of tropical fish have decreased survival due to altered behaviour and sensory impairment caused by surprisingly small increases in CO2. Recently similar behavioural abnormalities have also been found in temperate fish indicating a widespread phenomenon. A brain-based mechanism has been proposed, but other causes remain untested. My research uses a multi-level approach, combining behavioural experiments, broad scale genetic screens and nerve recording, to determine the mechanisms behind this impairment in economically important European sea bass raised in high CO2 environments. Using electrophysiology, my recent work has shown that ocean acidification directly impairs the olfactory sensitivity of juvenile bass, uncovering a novel mechanism caused by ocean acidification on their sense of smell. Ultimately, it is becoming clear that high CO2 has a negative impact on the sense of smell of fish across a wide range of habitats and latitudes. Insights into the genetic mechanisms behind this impairment are crucial for determining the capacity these fish have to cope with such a rapid increase in CO2; I’m currently addressing this question.
How much did the taxpayers of the United Kingdom spring for this?

Quote:
Grants awarded

Physiological mechanisms behind ocean acidification-induced olfactory impairment in fish

Scheme: Newton International Fellowships
Dates: Jan 2013 - Jan 2015
Value: £99,323

Old 07-08-2019, 05:36   #742

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Despite being lazy and incompetent, I'd thought I'd "follow the money" on this piece of research. It turns out that Dr Cosima Porteus is quite the working mum....
Oh, how despicable.

Now contrast that with the stories of all the noble fossil-fuel workers and execs, maybe even your son or one of his mates, and all the sacrifices and economic hardships they endure to follow their life-long dream of providing the world with cheap and abundant energy.

Scientists! boo hiss.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:42   #743
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Oh, how despicable.

Now contrast that with the stories of all the noble fossil-fuel workers and execs, maybe even your son or one of his mates, and all the sacrifices and economic hardships they endure to follow their life-long dream of providing the world with cheap and abundant energy.

Scientists! boo hiss.
facts trump feelings

Please provide evidentiary proof of your assertions.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:45   #744

Quote:
Despite being lazy and incompetent, I'd thought I'd "follow the money" on this piece of research. It turns out that Dr Cosima Porteus is quite the working mum. Wanting to further her career after having her first child, she's not backwards in coming forwards about hunting down research grants and is quick to declare herself hard done by when rejected...

She's persistent it seems, and is reaping the benefits
Back on task, It would seem that she went looking for a problem and consequently found it...

How much did the taxpayers of the United Kingdom spring for this?
Not exactly sure what your point is. The research scientists I know spend a lot of time applying for grants. And it is often the most senior researcher who is "wasting" their valuable time and talents spending the most time writing grants.

It's well documented that women often have a much harder time in the workforce, in general, because of their added child-bearing responsibilities.

Kudos to Cosima for persevering.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:46   #745
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just thought I would share this from lord Christopher Monckton.
https://youtu.be/dj43O98HL5c.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:50   #746
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Not exactly sure what your point is. The research scientists I know spend a lot of time applying for grants. And it is often the most senior researcher who is "wasting" their valuable time and talents spending the most time writing grants.

It's well documented that women often have a much harder time in the workforce, in general, because of their added child-bearing responsibilities.

you really missed the real point of that one
£100,000 to look at the possibility that the sense of smell of a specific breed of sea bass might be negatively affected ?
Old 07-08-2019, 06:02   #747

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:

I'm starting to suspect you're a career student. Are you?
Old 07-08-2019, 06:05   #748

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
£100,000 to look at the possibility that the sense of smell of a specific breed of sea bass might be negatively affected ?
Clearly, you have never been a research scientist. There are a lot of expense that one has beyond simply your own salary.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:06   #749

Quote:
I'm starting to suspect you're a career student. Are you?
No. I'm a lot like you: clueless, lazy and incompetent
Old 07-08-2019, 06:08   #750

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
No, YOU really missed the point of that one.

Quote:
...the recent and unexpected discovery that the offspring of tropical fish have decreased survival due to altered behaviour and sensory impairment caused by surprisingly small increases in CO2. Recently similar behavioural abnormalities have also been found in temperate fish indicating a widespread phenomenon. A brain-based mechanism has been proposed, but other causes remain untested.
It's already been observed that small increases in CO2 are having an effect on some fish. Her study is to find out how and why.

Notice how it's £100,000 over two years, total, which is going to have to cover her, any research assistants, lab time and equipment, writing and publishing time... I don't know about you but I am not that excited by the prospect of making well under £50,000 a year. Maybe she also teaches to get that up a bit.
Closed Thread