Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 10:25   #46

Boat: 36' custom steel
To those who claim there is no general warming trend in effect for the past 50 years, please explain the near uniformity of glaciers receding throughout the entire world.

The effect has been observed, not just at the polar latitudes, but even near the equator at high altitudes. Is the argument that glaciers melt when the globe gets colder? Or what?

Sure, we can argue about whether it's a man-made warming trend or not, but to claim there is no warming trend is just embarrassing. Glaciers don't lie.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:33   #47

The other thing we can talk about is the fact that the world's oceans have ALREADY risen in the past 50 years. It's a measured fact. Not much, but a measurable amount nonetheless.

Again, what's the argument? That oceans rise on account of global cooling? Or they rise and fall independent of global temperatures. What??

You take the observations of worldwide receding glaciers coupled with the oceans rising, and the conclusion is pretty inescapable.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:39   #48
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiracer View Post
Is the argument that glacier melt when things get colder? Or what?

Yeah, Glaciers never used to melt. They used to keep on flowing until reaching the Equator. and then not melt either.

Melting Glacier shock! Almost the same as weather today not identical to yesterday crisis!.......what next??? Bears sh#t in the woods shocker???!!!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:55   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Almost the same as weather today not identical to yesterday crisis!.......what next??? Bears sh#t in the woods shocker???!!!
I think the issue is not so much whether climate is changing, but rather why is it changing. As you have rightly pointed out, climate change is the rule.

There is a theoretical basis to show that global warming is, in part, the product of human conduct, albeit this has hardly been proven.

From this springs the no small moral issue of whether it's right to inflict the unfortunate consequences of global warming on our progeny should it turn out, after the fact, that we humans were, in fact, partly or wholly responsible.

And it is this moral component lurking beneath the surface that, I think, rubs so many people raw.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:18   #50
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

How about ....
Us having drained vast quantities of oil from the Earth and replaced it .. I believe.. with sea water.
This would surely have some effect on destabilizing the Earths overall temperature...
They heat and cool at different rates so any surrounding areas will respond differently to any heat effects from the core... furthermore salt water is a very insidious compound that will find its way through cracks oil cannot...
The resultant heating and cooling will widen the cracks and weaken the strata (ancient masonary trick), thus making the sub-surface prone to a more violent reaction to seismic activity..
Also.. a hotter Planet core is going to affect the surface...
Heat Rise's....

Dunno if it makes sense ... but I know wot I mean... oil absorbs heat and retains it more efficiently

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:20   #51

We have unfolding before our eyes a potential calamity that will eclipse nuclear warheads. The human suffering from global warming will exceed what the US did to Japan at the end of World War II (175,000 human beings, mostly civilians, instantly vaporized with a subsequent total of about 275,000 dying--all from only two bombs).

Yet whether humans (and by that we mean largely the wealthy nations doing the carbon emissions) are responsible for the resulting carnage will likely not be determinable until after the fact. It's one of the great moral conundrums of our day.

Ergo, the powerful need to deny the existence of global warming, or any human involvement with the causes thereto.

I find the level of irrationality involved with the denial of the existence of global warming, and the denial of the potential for human responsibility, quite heartening. I say that because what I'm actually hearing is the cognitive dissonance of a moral creature, which affirms to me that as a species we are a moral species.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:27   #52
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Or.... without the Oil Thermostat the cores heat is being increased as a result of the removal of a natural safety device... like a cooker... remove the Thermostat and she'll burn at Maximum...

Where's me wine..I'm empty...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 03-03-2010, 11:38   #53
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
I find the level of irrationality involved in the denial of the existence of global warming, and the denial of the potential human responsibility, quite heartening. I say that because what I'm actually hearing is the cognitive dissonance of a moral creature, which affirms to me that as a species we are a moral species.
For me, I find the level the irrationality involved in the denial of the existence of a large asteroid made of cheese heading towards earth quite heartening. I say that because it affirms to me that as a species we are not totally gullible...........despite "evidence" to the contrary.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:50   #54

Cheese falling from the sky would explain the rising oceans as they are getting filled with cheese (which fortunately is a fantastic anchoring medium). Let me guess, air friction from falling cheese is heating up the earth and melting glaciers.

It's the fondue phenomenon.

We need to enlist Darth Vader to eat more cheese. But is it moral to induce obesity on a bad guy who used to be a good guy? Where's my horoscope?
Old 03-03-2010, 12:55   #55
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Some of that Cheese landed in the Med and nearly capsised a liner....
Warmer water means more swimming

Old 03-03-2010, 13:23   #56
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
the fondue phenomenon.
That sounds quite scary and even kinda scientific - must be true

Just imagine, in 2012 when the Cheese Asteroid is due to hit this will be one of the places that folks will Google into looking for answers about "The Fondue Phenomenon" (by then I am sure it will be capitalized ).

............how do I add a "Donate now and be saved" button?
Old 03-03-2010, 13:34   #57

While I'm on my high horse and spouting off, I think I'll throw in my nonsense about overpopulation.

As I've said in another thread, it's hard to put 7,000,000,000 (seven billion) large mammals on a piece of dirt with a diameter of less than 8,000 (eight thousand) miles and not expect there to be 'consequences.'

(I love the contrast between those two numbers.)

My own solution to this particular problem is for all of us to volunteer to have two or fewer children. I had two, and got fixed. So I did my part and can, therefore, pontificate.

Think anti-smoking campaign. ("You're still addicted to those things?") The holier-than-thou approach is SO contagious. As a species we possess a profound need to feel superior to the next guy. Use it, I say.

Whatever we do, we can't follow the drug law model and create a black market for babies.

OTOH, letting terroists get nukes works too, but may backfire on the desirables (like me).
Old 03-03-2010, 13:36   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
............how do I add a "Donate now and be saved" button?
PM me and I'm sure I can figure out how to help this impulse. Operators are standing by. LOL
Old 03-03-2010, 14:07   #59

Boat: 1971 Rhodes "Discoverer" - 44' Motorsailer
Quote:
As I've said in another thread, it's hard to put 7,000,000,000 (seven billion) large mammals on a piece of dirt with a diameter of less than 8,000 (eight thousand) miles and not expect there to be 'consequences.'
The Earth's surface area is about 500 million square kilometers. So, for 7 billion people, each person gets their own square about 870 feet on a side. Seven tenths of which is water.

(my calculator needed exercise... )
Kirok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 14:13   #60
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Quote:

My own solution to this particular problem is for all of us to volunteer to have two or fewer children. I had two, and got fixed. So I did my part and can, therefore, pontificate.
No I believe the answer would be to have none and to also take 2 extra down with you when you check out.

maybe this "going postal" thing is a survial reflex

One of the 2 kids I had may be a candiate for the greater good!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote