Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2007, 15:24   #1

Boat: 1977 Cape Dory 27 #58
North American Union

I wonder how the NAU and the replacement of the Dollar with the Amero will effect cruisers. Any of you experienced cruisers have any thoughts on how this might unfold?
Old 04-10-2007, 16:08   #2

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
I can see something lose like the "commonwealth" idea, but I can't see a formalized union. Take something as simple as the dollar. Each countries dollar is up and down depending on stupid presidents and stupid prime ministers and how the debt of each country is handled.

The American dollar was ahead of the Canadian dollar, now the Canadian dollar is at par and some Canadian economist predict it could go as high as $1.10, so an American dollar would be worth less than a Canadian dollar. So how do you do this new Amero thing, based on what currency, at what time?
Old 04-10-2007, 16:22   #3

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
$1.10, so an American dollar would be worth less than a Canadian dollar. So how do you do this new Amero thing, based on what currency, at what time?
UMM..............we could ask a bunch of Euopeans...............
Old 04-10-2007, 18:14   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I wonder how the NAU and the replacement of the Dollar with the Amero will effect cruisers.
Well the tooth fairy might weigh in but I doubt it less than this. Some dumb ideas are dumber than others. This would be high on the list.
Old 05-10-2007, 14:42   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Well the tooth fairy might weigh in but I doubt it less than this. Some dumb ideas are dumber than others. This would be high on the list.
Yeah, I agree with you that it's probably not a good idea for most of us, but the structure of this NAU thing is already set up and beginning to be implemented; whether the citizens of Canada, Mexico, and the U.S like it or not.

CNN Lou Dobbs - North American Union (CNN video clip)
and
The Amero - North American Currency (CNBC video clip)

Therapy brought up a good point, maybe some European cruisers could offer some insight as to how the formation of the European Union and the Euro has effected cruising... if at all.
Old 05-10-2007, 16:25   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blove8 View Post
I wonder how the NAU and the replacement of the Dollar with the Amero will effect cruisers. Any of you experienced cruisers have any thoughts on how this might unfold?
The Amero is an entirely hypothetical concept.

Check either of these links:

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Amero Coin
North American currency union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-10-2007, 10:34   #7

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Well as a Canadian, I must confess I haven't heard a solitary Canadian advocate a common currency, until today that is - Saturday - Thanksgiving Eve in Canuck land. Here is a link to a business editorialist in the Vancouver Sun giving his argument for a common currency. You may not agree with what he has to say, but I think you'll find it interesting - if for no other reason than it is from a Canadian perspective viewing the American economy. This post could easily added to the American dollar thread as well:

Is it time to talk about a currency union?
Old 09-10-2007, 12:31   #8

Last night on Larry King Live, Mexico's Presidente, Vicente Fox acknowledged that a NAFTA single currency is on the way (long term). Here's the video clip:

and his visit with Jon Stewart on The Daily Show:

1977 Cape Dory 27 #58
Old 09-10-2007, 12:39   #9

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Now that our dollar's worth more we're not joining any union.
Old 09-10-2007, 13:02   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Oh, web pages hosted by the John Birch Society.

Just what this forum was lacking.
Old 09-10-2007, 13:15   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Oh, web pages hosted by the John Birch Society.

Just what this forum was lacking.
Did you have something you wanted to add to the conversation about the NAU hellosailor?
1977 Cape Dory 27 #58
Old 09-10-2007, 13:33   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Well, Blove, I think I already said what I wanted to say. Pointing out that your link to a NAU page prominently features the John Birch Society. Their viewpoints are widely known and simply knowing that your post, your comments, and your topic tie into their view of the universe, is sufficient comment for many of us.

NAU? End of the dollar/peso/loonie in favor of a unified currency? Come on, put on some white sheets and hoods, and REALLY try to scare me. What's next, you wanna talk about the tracking strips in the new currency?

None of that belongs here. Conspiracy theories should never be discussed here, the NSA might be logging them. (Well, if they're fulfilling their charter, they definitely are logging them.)

Now that "THEY" know you are against the New World Order, your income tax will no doubt be audited, your identity stolen by multiple people, and your bank account will contain serious errors every month.

You need the "Conspiracy Forum", not the CruisersForum.
Old 09-10-2007, 14:35   #13

Quote:
Well, Blove, I think I already said what I wanted to say. Pointing out that your link to a NAU page prominently features the John Birch Society.
Thanks for clarifying hellosailor. There are plenty of other references aside from the JBS site, I only chose that one because of the clear and concise nature of the information presented on the subject. I am not a member and I do not necessarily subscribe to that JBS "viewpoint" you touched on (see next comment); only using the site for the information presented.

Quote:
Their viewpoints are widely known and simply knowing that your post, your comments, and your topic tie into their view of the universe, is sufficient comment for many of us.
They are widely known? Which "viewpoints" are widely known? Please expand further for those who might not understand what you are referring to, including myself.

Quote:
NAU? End of the dollar/peso/loonie in favor of a unified currency? Come on, put on some white sheets and hoods, and REALLY try to scare me. What's next, you wanna talk about the tracking strips in the new currency?
Huh? white sheets and hoods? Interesting. I don't understand what your getting at. My post was not meant to scare anyone in any way.

Tracking strips in currency? Maybe you'd like to talk about that. Perhaps start a thread about it? I'm meaning to talk about the NAU and the Amero (common NAU currency) in this thread.

Quote:
None of that belongs here.
Why not? This is Off Topic, isn't it? The NAU could ultimately have a major impact with respect to the cruising lifestyle, couldn't it? If this post didn't belong here, I'd expect that a mod would have deleted it by now and perhaps they would have given me a warning of some sort too. That hasn't happened.

Quote:
Conspiracy theories should never be discussed here, the NSA might be logging them. (Well, if they're fulfilling their charter, they definitely are logging them.)

Now that "THEY" know you are against the New World Order, your income tax will no doubt be audited, your identity stolen by multiple people, and your bank account will contain serious errors every month.
I assume this is your attempt at making a joke. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
You need the "Conspiracy Forum", not the CruisersForum.
Like I said, the formation of a NAU could potentially affect the cruising lifestyle and I'm wondering how so. I'm hoping some experienced cruisers could give input regarding this situation we are finding ourselves in. ie. Did the formation of the EU change cruising in the EU at all?

I won't be cruising until a few years from now. I'm preparing for the future I see coming. Politics and economy seem to have quite an influence on the cruising lifestyle, am I wrong about this?

Here's to the future of cruising!

Edit: Grammer mistakes... yeah, there are probably some left over too.
1977 Cape Dory 27 #58
Old 09-10-2007, 15:28   #14

Boat: C&C 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by blove8 View Post
I won't be cruising until a few years from now. I'm preparing for the future I see coming. Politics and economy seem to have quite an influence on the cruising lifestyle, am I wrong about this?
If I had to make a guess I would say that most of the cruisers are proud of the fact that this forum has not degenerated into "the bilge". There is a general tone that keeps the political posts close to home and associated to cruiser specific problems, like check in procedures or can I bring my pets. (Just me speaking for my own observations.)

But as for the NAU (=EU?) issue, being able to cross borders from Panama to Canada without showing papers would be far more interesting to me than what currency my credit card company expected for payment.

Anybody remember Uneasy Rider? I used to date that drunk chick.
Old 09-10-2007, 15:54   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Anybody remember Uneasy Rider? I used to date that drunk chick.
Were you the one with the green teeth!?! Only kidding around.
1977 Cape Dory 27 #58
Closed Thread