Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2017, 09:56   #91

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Nautical Tattoo Thread

I use to know a guy in the navy years ago that had a a popular cartoon rabbit tat on his protruding belly with it's ashole being his belly button. He regretted it!
Quite often, if he had his shirt off, headed for the shower or whatever, people would stick their finger in his belly button. The thing was always reddish and it got so he'd keep his shirt on until he was ready to put on another.

We were in Vietnam, on a boat, parked offshore, so it was common to be without a shirt in the evening hours. Similar to this but a better tat......

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1283.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	151464  
Old 08-07-2017, 11:09   #92

I had these 2 done in my late 50's. My first and only tattoos so far. The one with the boat and giant squid is my design idea using a picture of my fishing boat. Local to me tattoo artist digitized the boat and drew in the "kraken". The steering wheel was from a photo taken of the actual wheel from that same boat. I may eventually expand on the boa/kraken across the back but so far haven’t come up with anything that really speaks to me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1499537103366-2024902341.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	318.9 KB
ID:	151466   Click image for larger version

Name:	1499537140408-1224408105.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	366.7 KB
ID:	151467  

Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:46   #93
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Maybe a tattoo across my forehead that says Starboard!.....for crowded places.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 19:11   #94

Boat: Elegance 70, 70ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post
I had these 2 done in my late 50's. My first and only tattoos so far. The one with the boat and giant squid is my design idea using a picture of my fishing boat. Local to me tattoo artist digitized the boat and drew in the "kraken". The steering wheel was from a photo taken of the actual wheel from that same boat. I may eventually expand on the boa/kraken across the back but so far haven’t come up with anything that really speaks to me.
Oh, they look amazing! I really like their design, I'm thinking about making smth similiar for a long time, however I'm still not ready for covering my body with permanent images...
Btw, how much did they cost and how much time you needed to make them? I heard that such big tattoos are made not during one session but in several steps on different days
Old 15-10-2017, 19:29   #95

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I use to know a guy in the navy years ago that had a a popular cartoon rabbit tat on his protruding belly with it's ashole being his belly button. He regretted it!
Quite often, if he had his shirt off, headed for the shower or whatever, people would stick their finger in his belly button. The thing was always reddish and it got so he'd keep his shirt on until he was ready to put on another.

We were in Vietnam, on a boat, parked offshore, so it was common to be without a shirt in the evening hours. Similar to this but a better tat......

That guy must really love beer. Stretch marks galore !

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 22:51   #96

Boat: Cavalier 37ft

What cracks me up is it is a 'Nautical Tattoo Thread' and then all the 'Oh, I wouldn't mark my body Nay Sayers' jump on and say they are a stupid idea. Key board warriors everyone of them.
How about you start your own thread 'Judgemental not Tattoo owners, then those that are Inked will most likely just leave you to your own narrow distorted views. Tattoos are not for everyone just like every one has a view on Catamarans, Monohulls, Ketch's, Day sailors or Square riggers.

For those that posted their Tattoos... Well done !
cal_d_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 17:06   #97

Boat: Gulf 32

Name:	20180116_225749.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	162624
I got a tat and add on.

Earned them both
Old 19-05-2019, 12:40   #98

Boat: Newport 28

Finally got around to covering up an old band on my arm, so what better way to do it than with something grand.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tat1.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	192343  
Old 19-05-2019, 13:20   #99

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlzO View Post
Finally got around to covering up an old band on my arm, so what better way to do it than with something grand.
Pardon me for asking but what does work like that cost?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 17:58   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Pardon me for asking but what does work like that cost?
From what I'm told, pricing can totally vary on region. Up here in Upstate NY, I'm told that most decent artists run anywhere from about $100 an hour on up. This gentleman, Chip at Artifex Tattoo (20 years in practice as of this year) in Vestal, NY, runs $125 but he's also quick. Quick, good, and was highly recommended to me by more than one person. This cost me $460 out the door, which was about right, it was a shade under 4 hours for the session.

I have a plan for a lower section, transitioning down, but he said my skin was starting to kind of "mush" up, I guess that happens? I'm not much of an expert lol - So we just settled on the finished top for now, and I'll go back in a couple months for the bottom half, and I'm sure he'll touch up some spots if he sees fit.

I have no shame in admitting the mistake I made with the Before, so I'll show them both side by side so you can see the before and after of the coverup, and one in the early stages so you can see where it was covered, since it might not be obvious in the After picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	60657219_2455604601148991_642298310278774784_o.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	192363   Click image for larger version

Name:	60401143_2455604534482331_6251443758252949504_o.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	192364  

Name:	Tat1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	192365  
Old 19-05-2019, 23:42   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_d_44 View Post
What cracks me up is it is a 'Nautical Tattoo Thread' and then all the 'Oh, I wouldn't mark my body Nay Sayers' jump on and say they are a stupid idea. Key board warriors everyone of them.
How about you start your own thread 'Judgemental not Tattoo owners, then those that are Inked will most likely just leave you to your own narrow distorted views. Tattoos are not for everyone just like every one has a view on Catamarans, Monohulls, Ketch's, Day sailors or Square riggers.

For those that posted their Tattoos... Well done !

Thanks for being the one to say it!

I debated posting my tattoos but they are not nautical or sailing related in any way, so decided against it.

But the harpies are annoying lol

P.s yeah I know
TheRailRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2019, 01:36   #102
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlzO View Post
From what I'm told, pricing can totally vary on region. Up here in Upstate NY, I'm told that most decent artists run anywhere from about $100 an hour on up. This gentleman, Chip at Artifex Tattoo (20 years in practice as of this year) in Vestal, NY, runs $125 but he's also quick. Quick, good, and was highly recommended to me by more than one person. This cost me $460 out the door, which was about right, it was a shade under 4 hours for the session.

I have a plan for a lower section, transitioning down, but he said my skin was starting to kind of "mush" up, I guess that happens? I'm not much of an expert lol - So we just settled on the finished top for now, and I'll go back in a couple months for the bottom half, and I'm sure he'll touch up some spots if he sees fit.

I have no shame in admitting the mistake I made with the Before, so I'll show them both side by side so you can see the before and after of the coverup, and one in the early stages so you can see where it was covered, since it might not be obvious in the After picture.
Thanks for sharing. Did you get lasered at all with the band?
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2019, 03:55   #103

Boat: O'Day 28

Thanks.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2019, 12:42   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
Thanks for sharing. Did you get lasered at all with the band?
Nope, no laser or anything. I want to say he was working on a gray shading technique for a lot of it, but part of the reason I went with this design was the ability to try to mask a lot of the old one in the darks. I think he kind of went over the name with a lighter shade originally before getting into the new details to help hide it, but otherwise, was just straight ink work.