Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2021, 19:58   #1

Most users ever online was 6,588, 27-12-2019 at 09:52.

I can see a few spare diehards still linger, there used to be a ton of really great people here but they all left?

Seems like they all jumped ship about two years ago and took all their knowledge and expertise with them. Sad.

What happened to this place?
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2021, 20:08   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Most users ever online was 6,588, 27-12-2019 at 09:52.

I've been here since 2011, just one month longer than you (I see). I can't say I've noticed any significant change in volume of quality posters. There has been the constant churn of people coming and going, but there are still lots of people who bring a wealth of experience and wisdom.

What I have seen is an uptick in what I characterize as more fringe posters. But I don't think this is unique to CF. It seems to be an issue on the rise in most public spaces.
Old 21-10-2021, 20:23   #3

Kenomac, MarkJ, ColeMJ, Smackdaddy to name a few. I could go on and on with a list of names of people who aren’t dead and are still out there cruising. Why did they leave?
Old 22-10-2021, 06:26   #4

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

There's a natural ebb and flood of interest in things like this. They come, they're all excited to find this place, they contribute, they start noticing that some topics keep coming up and things aren't as exciting anymore, they stop posting so much, stop logging on as often and eventually, stop logging on at all.

Then there's the elephant in the room: Facebook.

There are no algorithms here trying to maximize your "engagement." No juicy gossip about your neighbor's personal lives. No screaming rants about how evil the "other party" is. No drama about family members' problems.

Some of us like it this way. It would appear we're in the minority.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 06:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
there used to be a ton of really great people here

Nice backhanded comment. So you're inferring that the folks on here now are......what???

Maybe you should find where your friends went.....and stay there.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 07:42   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Kenomac, MarkJ, ColeMJ, Smackdaddy to name a few. I could go on and on with a list of names of people who aren’t dead and are still out there cruising. Why did they leave?
I know two of those four got banned for persistent bad behaviour -- deservedly so, as I recall. I also know a few people here have migrated over to SailNet. SN generally has a lighter touch when it comes to moderation, and allows discussions that would be shut down here on CF. It lacks the volume and range of users, but there are some excellent people there as well. I'm on both.

As I say, I don't perceive any change in the number of quality posters here. People come and go, this is true. But this is the nature of all online forums. Nothing new or different here. I do think CF now attracts more 'fringe posters' (anti-science, anti-expert, anti-trust), but I think that's true of most online forums.

I can't say I've noticed you around here much. I see from your posts that you had been silent since April 2019, with just a few posts that year. I certainly recall you were quite active in my early days (which was your early days as well). Maybe if you spend more time here again you'll get a better sense of things.
Old 27-12-2021, 13:25   #7

I looked at about 06:30 there were about 2,500 users online almost two years to the date of the most users online ever. Looks like right now there are about 4K.

Why did I stop coming here and posting? Forums by definition are places where opinionated people come to express their opinions. For the same reasons that I am interested in different people and cultures and desire to travel to different places and meet different people, I came here.

While here I met people who think differently and became friends with them. It made me a better person. Then I saw those people start to get kicked off for wrongthink or they left of their own accord because they felt they were no longer welcome and in my own opinion this place turned into a bit of an echo chamber. That’s just my opinion.

Oh, well. I’ll continue to lurk for another year and check in again. My prediction- even less people. I think this site is dying.

Sorry to the Shrew guy, I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings. I was just making an observation that I thought was worth commenting on.
Old 27-12-2021, 14:09   #8

Quote:
Forums by definition are places where opinionated people come to express their opinions.
It's not clear whether you consider this a good thing or a bad thing. The word "opinionated" is generally considered a negative, especially the way it's used in the sentence above. But you mention enjoying differing opinions.

Either way, I'm not sure I can totally agree. To me, forums are places to get other peoples' ideas and the benefit of their experience. I suppose that's technically opinion, although I've also learned a lot of facts.

The reality is, forums in general are on their way out. Now it's Instagram, Facebook, Reddit, Twitter, YouTube, and all the new ones I can't even keep track of. My kids will probably never log on to a forum.

Personally, I think it's a huge loss. But what I think doesn't really matter. Life goes on. I'll probably be here when they shut off the lights.
Old 27-12-2021, 14:28   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

1. To me, forums are places to get other peoples' ideas and the benefit of their experience. I suppose that's technically opinion, although I've also learned a lot of facts.

2. The reality is, forums in general are on their way out. Now it's Instagram, Facebook, Reddit, Twitter, YouTube, and all the new ones I can't even keep track of. My kids will probably never log on to a forum.

Personally, I think it's a huge loss. But what I think doesn't really matter. Life goes on. I'll probably be here when they shut off the lights.

1. Me, too, about learning facts and providing many with input they seemed to not have received elsewhere.

2. Perhaps true. Perhaps, like not making telephone calls with their phones (i.e., telephones ), they don't type much either.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 14:40   #10

I find value in different opinions, like for example different opinions about anchors. I have learned a lot from them.

The site is in decline, that’s a fact based on the numbers. Obviously the owners revenue is declining too, but their business their rules. I just feel it’s unfortunate for the sailing community at large.
Old 27-12-2021, 15:42   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

An observation: we moderators get complaints and threats of leaving from folks who feel that the level of moderation is way too severe.

We get complaints and threats of leaving from folks who feel that level of moderation is way too slack.

Not all of either group follow up on the threats, but some do. I wonder where they go from here?

My personal interpretation is that the people who complain about "too severe" are not the ones who previously made useful contributions or asked meaningful questions in the sailing related forums. Those that complain about "too slack" were often the useful contributors.

There is likely a reason for this dichotomy!

Jim
Old 27-12-2021, 17:17   #12
CLOD

Boat: none

Have never read an account on other sailing forums saying they left CF because too little moderation.
Old 27-12-2021, 17:21   #13

Jim, I used to give presentations on technical topics to diverse audiences. I'd always be sure there was one of those "how did we do" surveys at the end of the session.

I concluded that success was when half the complaints said the session was too technical, and the other half said it wasn't technical enough.

Sounds like you're doing fine
Old 27-12-2021, 17:36   #14

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Notice the date on the "most users online" from 2 years ago, December 27... only a short time before COVID really became a thing. My own theory is that many folks decided to hunker down once COVID was clearly becoming a worldwide threat and any sailing and cruising dreams or plans hit the brakes. I suspect a lot of folks are still hunkered. I doubt very much it is a moderation issue, though I am sure the more disgruntled would like to lay the blame at those feet (of ours.)
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 19:05   #15

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Notice the date on the "most users online" from 2 years ago, December 27... only a short time before COVID really became a thing. My own theory is that many folks decided to hunker down once COVID was clearly becoming a worldwide threat and any sailing and cruising dreams or plans hit the brakes. I suspect a lot of folks are still hunkered. I doubt very much it is a moderation issue, though I am sure the more disgruntled would like to lay the blame at those feet (of ours.)
===========================
maybe you are onto something.
"The pestilence"
Do not want to open the door to another battleground.We have too many already.

for the last couple of years my life as many others have suffered a significant change, from sailing and cruising to using your words "hunkering" down.
Up until 2018 my last longer sail, from home in Moreheade City to Halifax NS my checking the board and posting was, well, related to sailing and cruising, this was my go-to reference source for advice and help, even checking for crew, and tried to pay back by sharing the little I know about now 50 years of sailing.
Still do, just finished installing an older SSB radio, only possible because of the help received here.
I never thought much of the influence on my been here because of the "moderators" in fact never paid much attention to their role as now they have been thrust into a more active role because of the nature of the ongoing fights.
But again we may be undergoing a change by age,I remember when was cruising full time between 1994 and 2000 the changes from the type of boat and the cruisers been more affluent, boats bigger and more expensive, with less and having fewer points in common with the new crowd, may be is happening here too, as been mentioned, sources of information been social media,Youtube,etc.
Funny or sad, as we develop more types of technologies to increase the level of "communication" the less we actually communicate on a personal level.
The social changes we have experienced during the last few years created serious changes in our societies, changes still underway, so may be,you aint seen nothing yet!!!
Hoping for the best and been flexible enough to adapt.

Sayonara
davil is offline   Reply With Quote