Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2019, 22:56   #106

Re: Microplastics update, the news is not good

When I was an inquisitive teenager I recall reading about a technology being developed in Japan where they took plastic garbage and through heat treating it or some such turned it into construction bricks. And supposedly even made sample housing units with those. But the costs at the time of this process were too high compared to regular construction materials so the whole thing supposedly was shelved.

Not sure today if this was an urban legend, fake news or what not but having once talked to my friend the boat builder I got from him a confirmation that any old hull can be turned into a shiny new one by basically pulverizing it in a special furnace which currently costs a few million dollars and reusing the residue powed to make a new hulls or whatever. Does not seem like an outrageously expensive proposition given a vast number of hulls which get chopped up and go into landfills world wide. Why can't these pulverizers be strategically staggered throughout boating heavy regions and go to work ASAP? Other then initial high costs of this set up (which can be offset by various tax incentives) there seem to be only pluses.

Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 23:45   #107
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdenize View Post
if ever there was a good reason to live an organic remote lifestyle it is this...
Unlikely to be able to escape, microplastics are already clogging the most remote corners of the Earth.

https://relay.nationalgeographic.com...laces-on-earth

Of course the dangers from other substances, pollution, radiation may be much more dangerous anyway.

The main problem with all these issues is not so much the direct harm to specific groups of humans

but the ever-increasing stresses placed on the ecosystems we rely on to sustain our survival as a species.

The reason to use e.g. organic farming is to maintain healthy soil, not for us to "eat healthier". Of course yes there is synergy there, point is we need to actively care for our Mother if we want her to care for us.

john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 07:49   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
When I was an inquisitive teenager I recall reading about a technology being developed in Japan where they took plastic garbage and through heat treating it or some such turned it into construction bricks.
... having once talked to my friend the boat builder I got from him a confirmation that any old hull can be turned into a shiny new one by basically pulverizing it in a special furnace which currently costs a few million dollars and reusing the residue powder to make a new hulls or whatever.
There are a number of ways that most plastic waste could be reused, or even just disposed-of responsibly. The main problem remains collection and handling.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 09:53   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
There are a number of ways that most plastic waste could be reused, or even just disposed-of responsibly. The main problem remains collection and handling.
Agree. That's why there need to be real life incentives other then mere propaganda, pleadings or threats.

One way is to monetize the true costs of disposal/recycling/damage to environment into the price of plastic at retail level. Can be in the form of stiff deposits. High enough for the consumers to either bring the stuff back to collection points or not to use in the first place. It always amazes me that most plastic containers are not subjected to any deposit requirement. From engine oil/antifreeze containers down to the tiny pill bottles or individual 4oz yogurt containers.

Make the minimum deposit $1 on EVERY plastic container (more where appropriate for the stated goals) and you'll see collection and recycling skyrocket together with corresponding clean up of our streets, parks and outside in general. Plus a lot of low income or just enterpreneural people could supplement their incomes by collecting plastic containers discarded by their more careless or financially less responsible neighbors.

May be a bit painful at first but in short time we will all enjoy the results. This is one area (along with public safety, fire fighting and public health) where state action would be beneficial to no action.

Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote