Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 15-08-2011, 07:33   #76
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishinforwind
Statistics can be misleading. For example, once you enter the water you can pretty much stop worrying about deer.
We've seen deer crossing back from an island in salt water.
Old 15-08-2011, 07:52   #77

Boat: 22' pop top catlina and 15' designers choice
Re: Maybe We Should Not Be that Afraid of Sharks

Dennis M

HEAR HEAR! I agree, Sharks have been givin the bad rap. Lets face it they ar just plain scary lookin with them large jaws and ripping teeth. I did not say they are man killers or such just scary lookin so it is easy to hate them. We hate what we fear and do not understand. Does this mean we should just kill'em all Heck no. I have seen sharks I have seen bears I have seen snakes. none and I mean NONE are active MAN HUNTERS. As a mater of fact there are no active man hunters. Now for all those horror storiesists ( I wonder if that is a word). Yea but my friends, cousins, best friends girl friend, hear of a guy whom was .. ( name the horror) we should kill them so no one gets hurt ever again!
Sure you get a few creatures that break from normal. But to all of you I put it forth Man kind has the most violent and nasty evil tempered killer then anything on the earth. Thems that live on /in the ocean are just strivin to survive. lets be totaly honest your more likely to get boat jacked/hit by a drunk boater/or slip and fall off your boat then get eaten by a croc/shark. Now does this mean go swimming with your lucky ham in a feeding frenzy of crocs/sharks. Well sure, if your that stupid go for it. Can I have your boat? Knowledge is power and common sense goes a long way and may be a touch of caution. I hunt I eat what I hunt. I do not hunt senselessly. (trophies hunters). Ok that's my lil soap box. Perhpaps I need a bigger boat to carry it? LOL Wishin ya sweet waters and gentle winds.
Wishinforwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 09:10   #78

"none and I mean NONE are active MAN HUNTERS. As a mater of fact there are no active man hunters..."

Surely you jest... have you not heard of Lindsay Lohen or Paris Hilton?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 09:31   #79

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM

Don't call him Shirley.
DennisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 10:00   #80

Dennis , listen, and you listen close: Sailing a boat is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

And now for something completely diffrent,

The larch... The larch
Old 15-08-2011, 10:24   #81

i recall a time when i was in a narrow river channel... it was dark and visibility was low. we heard some splashing starboard side and when we got a flashlight down on the water we could see a tired linsey lohan in the water trying to climb a board. she was cold and her hoofs were clumsily flailing around trying to find some footing for her to rest. the crew and i grabbed a hold of her head and provided her with some support so she could rest. after a few moments she began bucking and shaking her head signaling she was ready to finish the crossing. we let go of her head and blew her a kiss as she flopped off down the channel to shore.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 07:41   #82

I want to apologize to anyone whom did not get the reference Dennis said Don't call him Shirley wich is a famous line from airplane. I vollllied back with a line from air plane also followed by a line from Monty python. The larch. To any and all whom thought i was being disrespectful to Dennis I wish to assure you I was not and it was all meant in good clean fun. To those of you whom still wish to be upset I would like to offer the following apology

I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact and was in no way fair comment and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

Sincerely,
Raven and Trisha
Old 16-08-2011, 07:43   #83

Raven and Trisha,

No harm. No foul. Though I didn't understand or recognize the allusion, I interpreted your tone correctly as humorous.

No problem here. Thanks for injecting more humor.

- D
Old 16-08-2011, 07:47   #84
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

you guys swim with em and bring em away from my area--then i can swim freely without any wondering where the sharkies are....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 07:57   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisM View Post
Raven and Trisha,

No harm. No foul. Though I didn't understand or recognize the allusion, I interpreted your tone correctly as humorous.

No problem here. Thanks for injecting more humor.

- D
Um well ya see... *cough*.. You would not have gotten it. Errr.. OK OK I am a idiot! Your not the right Dennis! yes I know I am a dunderhead! I was "talking to" Dennis from my other sailing blog! So Mate I do owe you a beer and steak.
Old 16-08-2011, 08:34   #86

LOL. No problem. Whenever you sail that Catalina up from North Carolina, the beer and steak is on me.
Old 16-08-2011, 09:19   #87

She is in parts in my back yard currently getting a retro fit. I got this boat and sailed her 2 times and my wife almost vomited because of the stench coming from the cabin. On hot summers days it smelled like rotten fish and piss. So we took everything out cleaned it to with in a inch of it's skin. Scrubbed bleached anti mold power washed scrubbed and cleaned some more. next 90 degree day same stench back just as bad as if we had done nothing. wait there was nothing in the cabin. When I say nothing I mean Nothing. So we track down the oder. to the Spray in foam. the one area i looked into that had the foam I could see was black with mold/mildew. Aint sure what caused this lil problem. but I have been digging out all the foam in the boat. Seems it was added as "anti sink" foam to help in case you got a hole in the boat. It was a spray in and it expanded like great stuff foam but it left air gaps and moisture over time built up in those areas and well dark mildew damp. You get the ugly picture. bow section is done. and now working on other "hidden areas" of the boat what i have seen tho is probly a 100% increase in storage space. with what looks like 200-300% more storage space yet to be recovered. I joined this forum to listen to you big water fellas and see what tips/tricks you guys use and what you find you need for sailing. I have already added a shower (on deck) for rinsing off, a hot water heater and 10 gal water tank. next i am adding a duel battery system with 2 6 volt battery's for the house 1 12 v for the motor. Long list of things i wish to due... slowly but surely..
Old 16-08-2011, 09:37   #88
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

To Romanticize sharks perhaps is just as dangerous as fearing them. They are predators and have an important part in the ocean ecosystem. To allow people to wipe them out is unacceptable, but I am against ringing our hands and looking worried. Instead I advocate outlawing shark fishing (or controlling ) in our waters and encourage other nations to do the same. It worked for the jewfish.
It has also been stated that man has no natural predators. We have only through tools made us harder to kill. When mountain lions were protected in colorado and California, they started stalking man. Polar bears hunt Eskimos on the ice. Viruses and bacteria are very effective at culling the population. Of course the most deadly predation of man is ...man
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 09:47   #89

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

There are a few things that I don't do in life.
1. Jump out of a perfectly good airplane.
2. Climb rock faces higher then my waist.
3. Keep Dangerous or venomous pets. Like tigers, lions, snakes or bugs of any kind.
4. Swim with Sharks, Baracudas & venomous jellyfish.

And if I have to go like a bear in the woods; I don't wipe my arse with poison Ivy.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 10:08   #90

Newt Lets back up a sec please and define and counter define a few things.
A) animals and viruses are 2 totally different things. Animals have a will and a drive to survive unlike virus, Unless someone can show me a medical study to the different have no will they just breed like ... mold no thought no will.
b) It has also been stated that man has no natural predators. We have only through tools made us harder to kill Yep your completely correct on that dept with out our tools we are snacks in the food chain of life!
c) When mountain lions were protected in colorado and California, they started stalking man. Polar bears hunt Eskimos on the ice. WRONG they did not stalk MAN they stalked dinner. We as man have killed off many things thinned populations of animals and hunted to extinction a few more. Let us step back in time. you will see that there used to be millions of more animals in north america then there are now. bison deer seals . cougars need meat they do not care what kind of meat. rabbit dog deer bison man.. cougars are BIG animals and need lots o meat.
So to think about this in another terms. you have to work to catch dinner. you can catch a mini burger 1 lb or you can do the same job and catch 180 lbs of hamburger? as a hunter which do you chase? The bigger dinner of course! the cougar does not go Hmmm lookie there man .. no hooves no horns no fangs just soft pink meat. he just sees dinner on the hoof.
Romanticize sharks Nope lets get this straight They are wild. I LOVE nature shows where **** goes wrong and the cameraman gets eaten. Realy your communing with WILD BEARS. get the popcorn This is ganna end badly! OH OH Your ganna SWIM and commune with killer whales! wait for it.... ohhhhh that's ganna leave a mark. Sorry mate I RESPECT them and I fear them. Does this mean I go blowing them up any chance I get? nope. I am a hunter I hunt to feed my family be it shark shrimp deer or gator. Iffina I kill something it is a mercy killing and I usaly eat it any ways or it is I just finding dinner. Sharks like plankton have a place in this world. i do not believe we should hunt any to extinction. Hell get rich and start farming sharks. They farm talipia and catfish. As to controlling the sharking industry. I got no clue how to do it. Kinda like the whole greenhouse thing. CHINA and INDIA are the worlds WORST polluters. UNLESS you look at stats then we are almost number 1. My wife works for a fortune 100 company. You have to look at how the stats are formed they take the carbon foot print and divide it among the number of people in a country. Makes sense right? WRONG your carbon foot print should be = to your country. the number in whole needs to come down! other wise well ever seen waterworld? wow what a nasty seq way sheesh ... guess i am rambling here a bit...