Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2011, 16:22   #16

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: Legal Mailing Address for Live Aboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
Interesting, do you think that would be acceptable for drivers license?
I've used PMB services many times over the years while travelling. Mailboxes etc, UPS STORE, and others are the popular ones, but you can usually find cheaper ones if you look around in most cities. You can drop the "PMB" from the box number and just print the address like an apartment address... ex: 1234 streetname #1.... Everybody accepts this as a place of residence, including Police, Drivers Licensing, credit card services, banks... I even used this address as my residence when I applied for aid from FEMA after hurricane katrina.

They run anywhere from $30 to about $60 a month. The good ones will provide forwarding as part of the deal, others will charge extra...
Old 18-03-2011, 16:31   #17

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanSail View Post
Hello,

I used a p.o. box for years as my primary address while traveling. It was a hassle in many ways including that the USPS mail forwarding wasn't always reliable or quick to transfer to new locations as I moved (etc.). It also wasn't an adequate address for a few items like drivers licenses etc. (I can't remember them all). In my opinion a P.O. box is not a good solution for a traveler looking for a permanent address.

I have switched to using St. Brendans Isle:

Mail Forwarding Services at St Brendan's Isle

it seems to be an improvement in every way and to offer the services that I need. I've only been using them for a few months so can't fully evaluate them as of yet. So far all has gone great though and the mail forwarding is a huge improvement from the old USPS approach.

There are other alternatives but I recommend that you contact SBI to inquire about your particular needs. They may be a good solution for you.

Jonathan

We used St Brendans Isle for over 10 years, and have nothing but good things to say about them. If you pay for the service, they will open designated mail & pay bills, or even hunt down parts and FedEx them to you Down Island. It is MUCH better than getting family to do it! IMO

Mark
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 16:44   #18

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

When I went cruising, I changed my address to my sister's. Her husband was my power-of-attorney and executor of the trust I set up. Although he could sign my tax forms, he always sent them to me to forward to the Tax folks. My sister faxed me a form authorizing her to sign any Social Security forms, and she enrolled me in Social Security while I continued my adventure.
The hassles began when I returned stateside with just a passport to prove who I was. Folks really want some other form of picture-id, and Washington State will only issue a Drivers license or State ID if you have utility bills from a street address. So you need to first rent an apartment using your passport and out of state banking.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 17:15   #19

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36

We have a PMB at a Post Net store. It works great, and they will forward mail to us. It only costs $60 per year.
Old 20-03-2011, 16:02   #20

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
So if I understand this correctly if I get involved with St Brendons Isle that would be consider a legal "Domiciled" address even if I am living on the hook and working in NY? How would that impact my State Tax picture
Aha! you forgot to mention that little detail. It changes everything - unless - the work is very temporary and short term.
- - Where you are employed is your tax and legal domicile unless you can demonstrate that the majority of your income comes from a different location where you do have an physical address. Simply put changing your address to a different State to avoid taxes in the work State is very illegal and will open you up to a world of hassles with all the various levels of government. The States take their tax collecting very seriously.
- - Supposing that you are working full time or the majority of the time in New York and your boat is there - you are a NY legal resident. Using your marina address for a physical address is the way to go. If you do not have a marina then a PMB located locally is the next option.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 16:47   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Like Mark Johnson, we've used St. Brendan's Isle for about ten years. We don't own anything ashore and this address has been simple and effective.
Old 20-03-2011, 16:54   #22

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Like Mark Johnson, we've used St. Brendan's Isle for about ten years. We don't own anything ashore and this address has been simple and effective.
Is there anything similar for a California address ? The Florida address would not work for us.

-Sven
Old 20-03-2011, 17:25   #23

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenG View Post
Is there anything similar for a California address ? The Florida address would not work for us.

-Sven
You might be surprised. It works for this Californian. Sometimes I give a California address for my physical address (although I'm rarely in CA) along with my FL mailing address.

That part I want to know about is the FL drivers license. Don't you need to get your photo taken at the Florida DMV?
Old 20-03-2011, 18:42   #24
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

cburger,

In order to establish "domicile" in the state of Florida, you can't be a Resident of another state. We live outside the U.S., so it's easy for us. If you live on your boat in the U.S. you'd need to physically live in Florida on it for more than 1/2 of the year. If you do this, you will be required to register your boat in Florida. No big deal there. If you live year-round on your boat in New York, forget about establishing domicile in Florida.

As far as brokerages accepting a PMB in Florida even though we physically live out of the U.S., I have had no problems whatsoever. And I've completely disclosed our situation, so they know the whole story.
Old 20-03-2011, 18:53   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Legal Mailing Address for Live Aboards

Hud... sorry about the 'Drift' but.... I see you've sold the boat...
Can we assume from your Avatar you are now the new lighthouse keeper on Nevis...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 18:55   #26

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Aha! you forgot to mention that little detail. It changes everything - unless - the work is very temporary and short term.
- - Where you are employed is your tax and legal domicile unless you can demonstrate that the majority of your income comes from a different location where you do have an physical address. Simply put changing your address to a different State to avoid taxes in the work State is very illegal and will open you up to a world of hassles with all the various levels of government. The States take their tax collecting very seriously.
- - Supposing that you are working full time or the majority of the time in New York and your boat is there - you are a NY legal resident. Using your marina address for a physical address is the way to go. If you do not have a marina then a PMB located locally is the next option.
Assuming you want to do things legally, there are (for most states) two resident statuses for tax purposes ... "actual" residents and "domiciliary" residents. To avoid trying to explain, I'll just post the definitions from the Virginia tax form which is very common language for the states.

Quote:
Domiciliary Residents
Anyone who maintains a legal domicile (residence) in Virginia, whether living in or out of Virginia, is a domiciliary resident. This
includes members of the U.S. armed forces who have Virginia as their home of record. Domiciliary residents have their permanent place of residence in Virginia. Any person who has not abandoned his or her legal domicile in Virginia and established legal domicile in another state remains a domiciliary resident of Virginia, even if residing in another jurisdiction for a number of years. In determining domicile, we consider many factors. Some of the more common indicators of domicile are: voter registration; motor vehicle and personal property registration; business pursuits; expressed intent; conduct; leaseholds and sites of real property owned.
Actual Residents
Anyone, other than a member of the U.S. armed forces or the U.S. Congress, who maintains a place of abode (i.e., home) in Virginia for a total of more than 183 days of the taxable year while having legal domicile (residence) in another state or country is an actual resident of Virginia. This category often includes students who are domiciliary residents of another state while attending college in Virginia or the spouses* and dependents of members of the U.S. armed forces stationed in Virginia. Although this residency classification does not apply to members of the U.S. Congress, it does apply to members of their families and staffs.
*The spouse of a military servicemember may be exempt from Virginia individual income tax on income from services performed in Virginia if (i) the servicemember is present in Virginia in compliance with military orders; (ii) the spouse is in Virginia solely to be with the servicemember; and (iii) they both maintain domicile in another state that is the same for both spouses. For more information, see Tax Bulletin 09-10 and Tax Bulletin 10-1 available at Virginia Department of Taxation.
Please note that having a PMB address doesn't cut it. It's like most things in taxes ...determined mostly by "facts and circumstances".
Old 20-03-2011, 19:27   #27

We r liveaboards in California and can use a UPS store mailbox for most things-even DMV but banks (due to Homeland Security) required our slip rental papers to have bank accounts. It took special ok's, time & a hassle but you have to just smile & comply or go without. The UPS sent our mail to ports from Ensenada to La Paz with low cost (we chose no magazines)& no problems. Now we r back & I am working to build the kitty to go for good. Good luck on your choice and trip!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote