Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2015, 02:11   #16

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht
Re: Is it not unlucky if you translate a boat's name, not change it?

I had to change the name of my Oyster 435 to Athene of Lymington when the previous owner decided to keep the former name, Guenole II, for his next boat. I renamed her after the little owl (athene noctua) after one landed on our crosstrees.

So, I renamed the boat after a bird of ill omen. Also, my wife and regular crew is a redhead. We've even got green upholstery on the boat. Am I superstitious? Nah. But thank goodness the previous owner put a half sovereign under the mast or I'd surely be screwed ...

GORDON KNIGHT
Old 15-01-2015, 02:16   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I am not superstisious. But 27 of my friends on 18 boats have been killed after changing their boat name and all within 5 minutes of the relaunching!!

The last one was particularly terrible sailors death, his last words were "I buried the gold just near.....".

Was it really bad luck or did they all have fin keel production boats with guns onboard and the wrong anchor?

They were doomed even without all of the name changing
Old 15-01-2015, 02:22   #18

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by athene View Post
I had to change the name of my Oyster 435 to Athene of Lymington when the previous owner decided to keep the former name, Guenole II, for his next boat. I renamed her after the little owl (athene noctua) after one landed on our crosstrees.

So, I renamed the boat after a bird of ill omen. Also, my wife and regular crew is a redhead. We've even got green upholstery on the boat. Am I superstitious? Nah. But thank goodness the previous owner put a half sovereign under the mast or I'd surely be screwed ...

GORDON KNIGHT
Quite seriously - who here has a silver coin under the mast? (I do)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 06:05   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, mrchristian.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 06:43   #20

Boat: Spacesailer 20

My little Piver tri was called 'Morning Glory' when I got it and I renamed it 'Nice Tri' immediately! I never had any issues sailing her or living on board.

I love some of the posts on here. When I purchased the boat, I needed that the guy that I bought it from was a very religious guy. At the time, I was an atheist, and wanted nothing to do with the original name of the boat. The name of the boat was changed the day I bought it and I have to tell you, I should've kept the name. First time I took the boat out to the Coronado's off of San Diego, I was awakened by the slapping of rigging on a boat next to me so I got up bright as the sun was coming up. There was a light fog okay, a heavy fog and you couldn't see the island and you could just barely make out the boat that was making the noise. I made a quick cup of coffee and sat down in the cockpit and listen to the birds and the water lapping against the hull.

As the sun came up it got brighter and I looked over the side and thought I saw movement. What I saw were A couple of see lions flying through the water below the boat. I sat there and watch them for a few minutes and was astounded by their amazing and effortless movements.

Honestly, it was a glorious morning! I should've kept the name.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 16-01-2015, 00:39   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Well, you did ask what people think, so...

I think it's pretty funny that, in this day and age, there are actually still people who believe in this kind of superstitious nonsense.
I'm not superstitious since I find it gives me bad luck.
Seasiq is offline   Reply With Quote