Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2012, 00:33   #16

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: iPhone 10 Minutes Bottom Of Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
I keep a silicone cover on mine so it will not slip out a shirt pocket.
I guess that didn't work for your wife though...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 00:34   #17

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
I have one of these but such a bother to use
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2766329577.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	45080  
Old 18-08-2012, 00:36   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor

I guess that didn't work for your wife though...
She has a hard plastic case. Her soft case fell apart.
Old 18-08-2012, 00:52   #19

I think the lifeproof is a good suggestion. Along with the float accessory, all bases should be covered.

I will be looking at the iPhone 5 in October. Possibly getting a set to protect the new phones
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3438288291.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	45082   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-479353723.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	45083  

Old 18-08-2012, 02:58   #20

Boat: New Horizons 25'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Yes sometimes. I have revived mine after a good dunking. Don't rush to power it up. My last survived several submersions. I have low temp
Baked it in a open oven and been okay . Oops last time i big time I over cooked it and well. The apple.clerk is looking at something that looks like a popover. What happened? She asked with disbelief. I. Couldn't tell her that it had been sunk 6 times and well it was in the oven and I spaced. I just said I will not tell you. It looked like it had done a planetary re entry. Keep it up with the rice.
I've baked dry several phones, but never an Iphone. It works pretty well as long as the oven is set low enough (mine will go down to 170 F)
I've learned to only do it with electric ovens, though. Gas ovens melt phones every time.
ForeverDes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 03:12   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
They can put a rover the size of an SUV on Mars, yet they cannot water-proof a phone to 10 meters.
They can but won't, because they want to sell you a new phone annually not have a phone that lasts a decade or can be easily repaired, that isn't a good business model.

I am using a Google Nexus that came from E bay, cheap and no tears if it goes splosh. We also keep an old Motorola on board just in case.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 06:16   #22

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
They can but won't, because they want to sell you a new phone annually not have a phone that lasts a decade or can be easily repaired, that isn't a good business model.

I am using a Google Nexus that came from E bay, cheap and no tears if it goes splosh. We also keep an old Motorola on board just in case.

Pete
Yes..I found a new Verizon based flip phone on ebay for $50, compared to more than double that at a Verizon store and they would have wanted me to re-up on my contract. I felt stupid that I hadn't found this option sooner.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 08:28   #23

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

I had great experience with the LifeProof case (iPhone 4 cases, Waterproof iPhone 4 Cases, Protective Case*|*LifeProof). I haven't tried the float - that looks big. You do have to keep the charger seal and the headphone jack o-ring clean so it stays waterproof. Good stuff.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 08:57   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

I have only put the lifeproof to the extreme rain test on the motorcycle.... haven't dunked it yet.

As far as back-up, I have mine set to back-up to the laptop every night when charging while on the home network...... at worst, I'll lose one day's data. When traveling coastally, I back up to the cloud instead of my laptop.
Old 18-08-2012, 10:05   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Drowned my work Blackberry under about 1,100 GPM flow for 10 minute before I realized I dropped it (long story). Placed it in a bag of rice and left it on the dashboard for two days. Phone worked fine until the day I traded to an iPhone.

Only problem was After each all I had a craving for Chinese food....

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 10:24   #26

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I've unfortunately experienced the opposite. One Iphone died after being splashed with fresh water and another died just due to exposure to salt air, which was not covered by warranty.

I do like my Iphones, but for me they have not proven to be very tolerant of water environments.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 17:20   #27
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

I work on the water, in a boat, every day and every day, my iPhone goes with me. Have never lost one overboard or to being wet. Before I set foot in the boat it goes in this:

fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 18:50   #28

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
...Ziploc bags are awesome.
+1. Ziplock snack size bags are perfect for cell phones. I use them religiously. Keeps the phone dry enough just long enough. I've had the same phone so long now that it is starting to fall apart.

Couple of points on rescuing wet electronics: 1) Get the battery out immediately! Now that you have lots of connections via water where they should be none it is important to kill the power. 2) Salt water is worse because it is more conductive. Remove battery, rinse in fresh water, at least partially disassemble, and dry it out.

My experience has been that this process will probably get the device back up an running (maybe with a few glitches), but that immersion, especially in salt water, will shorten its life considerably even if successfully rescued.

Also, save your contacts to your SIM chip NOT to your phone's memory. SIMs are surprisingly water resistant and will probably survive the swim. Just pop them in the new phone and you're good to go (another good reason to buy a cheap phone).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 15:41   #29

I lost a brand new Samsung Galaxy IIS out of my shirt pocket last summer. I couldn't retrieve it to try and dry it out. It was fresh water and I am pretty sure I could have salvaged it, but I couldn't get anyone to dive and get it. The visibility was only a couple of feet in the water and no one wanted to go in with the alligators that live in the marina...

Why are you looking at me like that... I wasn't going in after it!!
njwtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 18:03   #30

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Backing up everything is not that simple, not for me. On two iPhones, I have tried to save everything, and miss-understand the questions in the process, and wipe everything out.

Now I am afraid to hook up an iPhone to a computer.
Exactly! And just the entire hassle of depending on itunes for music and picture storage. Seriously. You have to have a PC to operate an iPhone! I was exhausted in my efforts at all of that. But I absolutely loved the ease of the OS while it was sitting in my hand and doing all my friendly day to day things! I loved my iPhone until backup time and Uh oh accident time. Then it was just a PIA. At least with my droid, if all fails, I pull the sim, the battery, and the memory card. Not all will be lost.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone