Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2019, 17:38   #781
Registered User
 
transmitterdan's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: Valiant 42
Posts: 6,316
Re: Intellectual Humility & the importance of knowing you might be wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Free-market supporters should agree with open borders as a political aspiration. Distorting the free mobility of labour across national borders causes economic inefficiencies. By eliminating this source of market distortion, open borders would reduce international wage differentials and improve the economic efficiency of national and global economies.
None other than Ronald Reagan suggested during the 1980 U.S. presidential primary debate to "open the border both ways" between the U.S. and Mexico so that workers can enter the U.S. and pay taxes there.
For the record, I would disagree with President Reagan.

Huh? A borderless country is an oxymoron.

Reagan never advocated removing border controls. I believe in free flow of labor and goods. But not free flow of citizenship. You can have free flow of labor and border controls at the same time. But voter ID is required for that to happen.
__________________

transmitterdan is offline  
Old 05-03-2019, 17:38   #782
cruiser

Join Date: Jan 2017
Boat: Retired from CF
Posts: 13,304
Re: Intellectual Humility & the importance of knowing you might be wrong

I am a strong advocate of open borders, the whole concept of nationality is suspect, and that of "race" even more so.

We are a stronger nation as a result of our diversity, 99% of us being invaders, occupiers, colonists & finally immigrants.

Being "white" has always been a moving definition, and hopefully the whole concept will go away sooner rather than later.

Same as being a "nativist" (ha!), but I suspect that will take a bit longer.

And yes, of course criminals should be able to vote, continuing to disenfranchise them after their release is downright shameful. Almost all aspects of our law enforcement and "justice" (ha!) apparatus is directly descendant from ex-slavery Jim Crow repression, and is still used towards the same ends.

But it really is capitalism au fond behind the worst injustices of our systems, and Democrats are just as complicit, maybe worse for their "centrist" hypocrisy in supporting corporate and 1% hegemony over all our power structures for the past 3-4 decades.
__________________

john61ct is offline  
Old 05-03-2019, 18:07   #783
Registered User
 
transmitterdan's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: Valiant 42
Posts: 6,316
Intellectual Humility & the importance of knowing you might be wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Iím not as keenly focused on USA politics as others are (for good reason ó it ainít my country ), but I havenít heard the Democrats advocate for the elimination of border controls. Iíve heard policy suggestions that discuss different controls, but I donít recall anyone calling for the elimination of them.

Exactly right to your final point, so hereís my challenge to you. You claim the purpose of enhanced ID requirements is to instil confidence and security. From the perspective of those who believe what this really will do is disenfranchise more people and prevent them from voting, this action shakes their confidence and makes the whole system seem less secure. Now, you can either dismiss this concern out of hand, or you can try and look at it from their perspective.

On the ID demand side there are some examples of fraud, so itís not zero. But on the disenfranchisement side there is a history of these kinds of laws and actions doing just what these people fear.

From what I can see, both sides are right, and both sides are wrong. So once this issue gets wrapped up with group identity, it becomes impossible to solve rationally.

Many prominent democrats only 10-20 years ago were recorded in public advocating for stronger border enforcement because they felt lax borders hurt the average worker (a former constituent group). As soon as they figured out lax border enforcement helped their poll numbers they flip-flopped. And some went so far as to apologize for their earlier ďuncaring positionĒ.

It is illegal in the US to deny any non-felon citizen the right to vote. There are stiff penalties for doing that. Itís nonsense to suggest requiring the same identification for air travel as voting disenfranchises anyone. That too is a straw man argument. There is no recent history of any laws designed to disenfranchise any voter. That such claims are made does not make them true.

Both sides are not wrong on this issue. If the current lax voter fraud enforcement continues all sides will engage in more and more cheating. For example, this past US election there was well publicized voter fraud on the conservative side. It is amazing that liberals arenít screaming their heads off about it. They canít because they donít believe voter fraud enforcement improves their poll numbers.and they are right. Those polls include many non-citizens who wish to vote.

Ironically, many liberals claim some kind of voter fraud got the current president elected. They donít know how it happened but they are sure that it did. I would submit the real cause of their defeat was because they abandoned regular working peopleís issues in favor of non-citizens and tiny fringe minorities. There is no other plausible explanation for losing in rust belt states.
transmitterdan is offline  
Old 05-03-2019, 18:55   #784
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 8,479
Re: Intellectual Humility & the importance of knowing you might be wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Many prominent democrats only 10-20 years ago were recorded in public advocating for stronger border enforcement because they felt lax borders hurt the average worker (a former constituent group). As soon as they figured out lax border enforcement helped their poll numbers they flip-flopped. And some went so far as to apologize for their earlier ďuncaring positionĒ.

It is illegal in the US to deny any non-felon citizen the right to vote. There are stiff penalties for doing that. Itís nonsense to suggest requiring the same identification for air travel as voting disenfranchises anyone. That too is a straw man argument. There is no recent history of any laws designed to disenfranchise any voter. That such claims are made does not make them true.

Both sides are not wrong on this issue. If the current lax voter fraud enforcement continues all sides will engage in more and more cheating. For example, this past US election there was well publicized voter fraud on the conservative side. It is amazing that liberals arenít screaming their heads off about it. They canít because they donít believe voter fraud enforcement improves their poll numbers.and they are right. Those polls include many non-citizens who wish to vote.

Ironically, many liberals claim some kind of voter fraud got the current president elected. They donít know how it happened but they are sure that it did. I would submit the real cause of their defeat was because they abandoned regular working peopleís issues in favor of non-citizens and tiny fringe minorities. There is no other plausible explanation for losing in rust belt states.
So, I guess you fail my challengeÖ you canít put yourself in the other personís shoes.

The Kahan paper really worth a read here. Or even consider the title of this thread .
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is online now  
Old 05-03-2019, 19:44   #785
Registered User
 
transmitterdan's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: Valiant 42
Posts: 6,316
Re: Intellectual Humility & the importance of knowing you might be wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
So, I guess you fail my challengeÖ you canít put yourself in the other personís shoes.



The Kahan paper really worth a read here. Or even consider the title of this thread .
Sometimes the only winning move is to not play the game.
transmitterdan is offline  
Old 05-03-2019, 20:39   #786
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2003
Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Posts: 6,879
Re: Intellectual Humility & the importance of knowing you might be wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Iím not as keenly focused on USA politics as others are (for good reason ó it ainít my country ), but I havenít heard the Democrats advocate for the elimination of border controls. Iíve heard policy suggestions that discuss different controls, but I donít recall anyone calling for the elimination of them.

WOW, You really DO live under a rock. The democrats have been hollering about it for over a year.
senormechanico is offline  
Old 05-03-2019, 22:10   #787
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Easton, MD
Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Posts: 2,844
Re: Intellectual Humility & the importance of knowing you might be wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Iím not as keenly focused on USA politics as others are (for good reason ó it ainít my country ), but I havenít heard the Democrats advocate for the elimination of border controls. Iíve heard policy suggestions that discuss different controls, but I donít recall anyone calling for the elimination of them.
That's the democrats response to the wall------open borders.
kmacdonald is offline  
Old 05-03-2019, 23:05   #788
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 8,479
Re: Intellectual Humility & the importance of knowing you might be wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Sometimes the only winning move is to not play the game.
It wasnít a trap, or an effort to ďwin.Ē It was an attempt to try and explore the actual topic of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
That's the democrats response to the wall------open borders.
Quote me where this is stated as official Democrat policy. Iíve heard a lot of Republican speakers make this accusation, and Iíve also heard a lot of Democrat speakers state clearly that this is not what they are calling for.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is online now  
Old 05-03-2019, 23:57   #789
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 4,806
Re: Intellectual Humility & the importance of knowing you might be wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
It wasnít a trap, or an effort to ďwin.Ē It was an attempt to try and explore the actual topic of this thread.



Quote me where this is stated as official Democrat policy. Iíve heard a lot of Republican speakers make this accusation, and Iíve also heard a lot of Democrat speakers state clearly that this is not what they are calling for.
I don't think we're likely to see either party make it "official," but it's no secret that some Republicans don't want more serious enforcement because of a desire for cheap labor, and some Democrats don't want more serious enforcement because they want the votes. Even the stalwart Democrat Chris Matthews admitted it.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...s_face_it.html
Exile is offline  
Old 06-03-2019, 06:29   #790
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lake Ont
Posts: 5,599
Re: Intellectual Humility & the importance of knowing you might be wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
I don't think we're likely to see either party make it "official," but it's no secret that some Republicans don't want more serious enforcement because of a desire for cheap labor, and some Democrats don't want more serious enforcement because they want the votes. Even the stalwart Democrat Chris Matthews admitted it.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...s_face_it.html

I don't think MSNBC's Chris Matthews sets immigration policy in the Democratic policy, or is actually privy to it. Just a hunch.


The real value of the "illegal" immigration issue has been its effectiveness as a wedge. It's a group long exploited by Americans and their businesses, and they are defenseless scapegoats for other economic problems - the different-looking "others" who can't fight back when they are vilified for votes in this current resurgence of populism. It's happening all over, not just the US.
Lake-Effect is offline  
Old 06-03-2019, 07:01   #791
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: UK-Mallorca
Posts: 13,213
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Intellectual Humility & the importance of knowing you might be wrong

Ok... now has moved firmly into politics.

We dont do that.... this is a cruising forum....
__________________

__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
import

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Might or Might not have made the biggest Mistake of my life jaygatsby Monohull Sailboats 89 13-01-2019 14:23
I love cruising because it teaches humility zboss General Sailing Forum 38 17-09-2014 19:38
Knowing Your Boat's Limitations . . . otherthan Monohull Sailboats 13 07-07-2010 04:45

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:06.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.