Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2011, 21:46   #31

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch
Re: In the VI's, how lucky do I have to be to get lucky?

Tao, if you're out there, I'm begging man...
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 22:00   #32

Boat: Tartan 34C

Oops, sorry - Genie no want to go back in bottle.
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 22:02   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Cement View Post
Oops, sorry - Genie no want to go back in bottle.

No, that's funny!!!!
Old 17-03-2011, 23:14   #34

I rarely stay at my rental in saint barts but mega yachts are a dime a dozen and most likely the place the women will be at without you. $ in the Caribbean isn't anything special. It's total poverty or wealth, if you were a woman what would you choose?
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 05:05   #35

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
I'm not quite sure how meeting ladies who are in their fifth decade is a problem when your in the same decade?
I have dated numerous ladies in their 50's that look way better then one's that are younger... why? Healthy lifestyles and some genetics.
Look at the advantage of dating someone in their 50's or early 60's.... you know what they will look like when they get older.
Now, if your a 50 or 60 year old man and think you can still attract 30 year olds, think again. You probably have a daughter that age. Would she go out with someone your age? Would you want her too?
The OP used the keyword "Lucky" when combined with meeting some women in bars, etc. that pretty much nails it down to a non-platonic relationship search. And later he illuminated to us that he did not want to "pay" for such a relationship.
- - So that puts the subject to the statistically normal male in his mid-fifties range looking for some "action." Statistically normal generally means a female about a decade younger on average. And even maybe close to two decades younger if available. Out here in the cruising world you get to know many couples and the ones with cats or the finer mono's where the male is in his 50's usually have a female mate in her early forties. It is all about how much you can afford. I once had one half my age but boy, was that expensive, lot of fun, but expensive. And when the money runs out so do they.
- - If you are looking for a real "pal" or buddy or platonic companion you definitely should be looking to the women in their 5th and 6th decade. They are great people and have lived long enough to be beyond a lot of the silliness of much younger women. Somewhere in their fifth decade women go through the "change of life" and the hormonal irrationality subsides or disappears and life becomes much better for the male half of the couple. However, the OP obliquely indicated he was not looking for a "buddy" type female.
- - For those single males approaching or in their fifth decade there is also something called "male menopause." It is a psychological change that can be extremely traumatic. Their rutting around for a younger female gets frantic and slowly they come to realize that now they are "old men" and the only women they can get into their beds are worse for the wear by effects of gravity and age. The movie "10" talks to this issue. Gobs of money can delay that transition but for everybody else their "rutting" days are over. And now they start looking for that "buddy/friend/companion" woman and are now sometimes referred to by women as a "respectful man."
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 06:56   #36
Armchair Bucketeer

I think it depends on how you define "buy" or "rent"........

If any fella thinks that keeping hand 100% in pocket and relying simply on charm and funny stories (whether or not in Pigeon lingo. or shouted English ) - then they are gonna get to select from the choices they are paying for or be singlehanding a longgggggggg time . Whether that be 1st or 3rd World, most women are looking for a fella to bring at least something to the table. 15 foot of rusty anchor chain and a plastic bucket don't really count.

Got to also remember that in much of the world people live afloat because they can't afford ashore - so rather than you automatically being seen as a wealthy suitor with an idyllic lifestyle to share with a lucky gal, instead you have turned up as a peasant ...............imagine all the facilities onboard your boat were ashore. probably even a 60 foot cat would be considered no more than a 2 bed condo........and that perception can only really be cured by putting hand in pocket.

The best route? time on the plot. and speaking the same lingo. Or booze, drugs and clubbing (Music or wooden item ) for the shorter term arrangements.........

But for those with a regular circuit - a girl in every port (and different countries ) could be a long term acheivable goal Just call 'em all the same nickname
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 16:06   #37

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: In the VI's, how lucky do I have to be to get lucky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
- - - - For those single males approaching or in their fifth decade [+]there is also something called "male menopause." It is a psychological change that can be extremely traumatic. Their rutting around for a younger female gets frantic and slowly they come to realize that now they are "old men" and the only women they can get into their beds are worse for the wear by effects of gravity and age. The movie "10" talks to this issue. Gobs of money can delay that transition but for everybody else their "rutting" days are over. And now they start looking for that "buddy/friend/companion" woman and are now sometimes referred to by women as a "respectful man."
I hate this modern expression but it wprks here: true that
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 16:21   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39

I think there is a thread on this forum for cruisers loking for romance? You may like to try there, or perhaps post in the ¨¨crew wanted¨¨ section explaining you are looking for a female companion to share your adventure and possible romance?? You could travel to meet any interested ladies on land and see how you get on before you leave on your sailing trip!! Im sure there was one female member on here who was looking for romance, not sure if she found it? Come on single Ladies of the forum, meet TY, he certainly would like to hear from you!!!
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 16:31   #39

Pablothesailor, you are far toooooo kind.
Old 18-03-2011, 21:23   #40

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

A personal observation after 24 years of cruising: when meeting singlehanders, it often becomes clear why they have this status!

Jim
Old 18-03-2011, 22:03   #41

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

Thank you Ty, this the funniest thread ever.
I hope you find happyness with all the Miss Loveyoulongtimes out there.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 23:49   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
A personal observation after 24 years of cruising: when meeting singlehanders, it often becomes clear why they have this status!

Jim
Well said Jim! I tell my friends/nemesis to goto Vegas and get a hooker and stop dreaming.
Old 19-03-2011, 00:16   #43

Cruising friends of mine say the Phillipines or Thailand are the go.
You pay $30 a week for them to cook and tidy the boat and everything else comes free.
Another friend told me he had this fillipino girl living with him on the boat. After a week or so she asked for some money, he gave her one dollar.
Not long after half the girls in the village wanted to look after him.

Seems a shame i have my missus with me.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 00:25   #44

I'm embarassed I posted in this thread.
Old 19-03-2011, 01:22   #45
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
Now that is funny but also so true.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote