Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2018, 17:44   #106

Boat: 55' Romsdal
Re: Ice Age on the Way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
And why would a species born without a fur coat want to remain living in an Ice Age?
I'll have to introduce you to my high school Polish friend Bill Billkowsky. He has an arbitrary line he's designated as the end of his beard and the beginning of body hair, but it could be most anywhere.
Old 14-11-2018, 17:44   #107
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

That study being prematurely published . Shows the bigger problem with the " peer review " process.
Old 14-11-2018, 17:47   #108
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
I'll have to introduce you to my high school Polish friend Bill Billkowsky. He has an arbitrary line he's designated as the end of his beard and the beginning of body hair, but it could be most anywhere.
I'm still in shorts and a tee shirt. We have only had frost on the dock 3 times this year .
Old 14-11-2018, 19:32   #109
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This just crossed my feeds
https://www.express.co.uk/news/scien...nasa-space/amp
Old 14-11-2018, 20:53   #110

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
"Martin Mlynczak of NASA's Langley Research Center told CBN: 'We see a cooling trend.'"

For those who may have dozed off & missed all the excitement, this is the same NASA scientist who had the nerve to be cited in a publication which wasn't approved by the intelligentsia ahead of time.

"The Sun was not expected to head into a solar minimum until around 2020, and if it is heading in early, it will mean a prolonged cold snap."

Just think what that will do to all those graphs & their pretty lines.

"The last time there was a prolonged solar minimum, it led to a ‘mini ice-age’, scientifically known as the Maunder minimum - which lasted for 70 years."

Ken is going to have to go out and buy a fur coat after all. Faux-fur, of course.

"The Maunder minimum, which saw seven decades of freezing weather, began in 1645 and lasted through to 1715, and happened when sunspots were exceedingly rare.

During this period, temperatures dropped globally by 1.3 degrees celsius leading to shorter seasons and ultimately food shortages."

Isn't 1.3ºC about what climatologists have been telling us we shouldn't exceed . . . OR ELSE. Looks like we might be well under that for possibly decades, and all due to natural forces. NASA said this was predicted, albeit not until 2020. Was this factored into the models? And now, thanks to this predicted cooling period, we could go from record food surpluses to food shortages. Maybe instead of spending all this time & money on never-ending research & divisive politics, we should instead do what humans have always done, namely adapt with the help of ever-increasing technology. Hey, hasn't this idea been mentioned before??
Old 14-11-2018, 22:04   #111

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
It will turn around, during the switch over there will twice the amount available.

On the serious side this Ice Age thing is a big concern. It could result in me having to break a 25 month trend of not having to wear long pants!
OK, but the upside of it is that there's going to be some really good parties when the ice drives all us northern and southern hemisphere yachties to the equator.
Old 14-11-2018, 22:37   #112
cruiser

It’s only 19 degrees F tonight, and it’s still only the middle of November.
Old 14-11-2018, 23:02   #113
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Already had snow in texas to
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/weat.../11/13/houston
Weather extremes caused by the solar minimum and low solar winds not stabalizing the jet stream in the north.
Old 15-11-2018, 01:40   #114
cruiser

Some posters criticized the wedsite source where I found the article, so here’s a different source. Looks like the word is getting around:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ist-warns.html
Old 15-11-2018, 03:32   #115

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
19F.......... what are you in witness protection or something, you need to move.... once the ice melts.
Old 15-11-2018, 04:17   #116
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Some posters criticized the wedsite source where I found the article, so here’s a different source. Looks like the word is getting around:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ist-warns.html
Daily Mail is a joke, you'd be laughed at in the UK for suggesting it's in any way a credible source of anything.

And from your link >>

Quote:
However, research has shown these changes high above Earth are unlikely to have much of an impact on weather at the planet's surface - including climate change.
Non starter of a troll story.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...90123212001002

Quote:
Conclusions
There is a new deep minimum of solar cycle 23 may extend through the next 30 year during the coming solar cycles 24, 25, and 26, similar to what occurred during Dalton minimum era (see Fig. 3). Although the solar activity during the last two solar cycle has a deep minimum there is a global warming, the variations in solar activity do not seem to play a major role in determining present-day observed climatic change. Prevalent global warming, caused by building-up of green-house gases in the atmosphere, seems to escalate and hence mask this solar effect. It played a major role in palaeoclimatic changes. The climate cooling during the Maunder minimum and Dalton minimum might be due to the solar activities collapse [20].
Old 15-11-2018, 04:22   #117
CLOD

Boat: none

I saw SNOW this morning, .................................................. .......... on TV :-)
Old 15-11-2018, 05:07   #118
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I saw SNOW this morning, .................................................. .......... on TV :-)
And we'll be seeing snow here tonight in your old back yard. Yuck.
Old 15-11-2018, 05:50   #119
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes, turning to a reactionary, blatantly partisan Tory tabloid like the Daily Mail as your "more credible" source is hilarious.

What's next, the Sun, the NY Post, the National Enquirer?

Xenophobic / racist, misogynist, neo-fascistic, and of course, anti-science. Literally supported the actual Nazis pre-WW2.

Very reliable as a "reverse fact check"; if anything important is addressed in the Daily Fail, whatever they print is reliably untrue.

Wikipedia has banned it as an 'unreliable source', while still accepting RT and Fox!
Old 15-11-2018, 06:03   #120

Boat: Catalina 30

Well the thermometer in my cockpit told me that as of 0630 this morning I was looking at 17, not a record low but close, but on the same note I had 55 exactly a week ago at about the same time.
Climate change or not it's been an interesting year weather wise.
*All temperatures are in deg. F*
Closed Thread