Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2011, 12:35   #1

Boat: compac 16
House to Boat

hi guys just was wondering how do you think it would compare to move from say a SUPER small house

Houses

(keep it under 100sqft when looking at there stuff) to a boat. what would be some of the major things that change and what would be similar in your opinions. and if you think these houses are HUGE compared to a boat what boat would have the same size as these do. i have been to some of there open houses and WOW there tiny laid out wonderfully though. a lot of these houses can be set up completely off the grid. with onboard water and greywater and solar panels and wind turbines and gene's, all that good stuff.

i am in no means affiliated with the company just wondering what would be major transition points from super small house to boat. i dont care if this discussion wanders

John
samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 12:43   #2

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Re: house to boat.

I've been looking into those houses since about 07/08. They are well laid out. I thought to try building one thinking it would at least make a nice project. Still haven't had much opportunity to try it.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 12:47   #3

they dont seem to hard. dont quote me but i believe a few friends built one in a week or less ( this is what they told me in the open house) what i dont like is they are technicaly to small to be a house and have to many amenities to be a shed that is why they are on a trailer to get around the side laws STUPID! if you can live safely and happily in something that small i don't see why not be aloud to build it on a proper foundation and hook it up to city.
Old 14-07-2011, 12:55   #4

towns have the rules to set a minimum standard to living situations. Some neighborhoods, I've seen (possibly from HOAs too) have minimum sqft that can be built on a lot. I think a lot of this comes from everyone wanting higher value homes and at the same time, cities who want that extra income from those paying more in taxes. A small home like those wouldn't generate enough taxes for the city.
Old 14-07-2011, 12:59   #5

i do agree on more taxes being the key. but i can afford to build one of those i have the land just not enough money to build or buy a "proper" house so now im living with family... so right now they are getting barely any money from me so that little house would still be more money then they are getting from me right now.
Old 14-07-2011, 13:13   #6

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

You can buy 35 foot motorhomes for less than $10k.

There has always been many people who live in RV's. Some belong to fitness centers and keep a locker there, to take a shower every morning and change into a suit.
Some employers let employees stay in their parking lots.

I had a young man on my crew who had lived with his mother in a car for five years.

The possiblities are endless.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 14:53   #7

Re: House to Boat

one deployment I had, I met a guy in the air force who lived in an RV in Wash state. He stayed at an RV Park on the base, then, when deployed, he just left the RV at the unit parking lot so he wouldn't have to pay the park for something he wasn't using.