Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2007, 08:19   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Healthiest coral reefs hardest hit by climate change

Healthiest coral reefs hardest hit by climate change ~ CBC News
Healthiest coral reefs hardest hit by climate change

”... The authors (of a study released Tuesday) found warmer sea temperatures around the densest and healthiest sections of the Great Barrier Reef provide the perfect conditions for white syndrome, a deadly disease that is spreading rapidly ...
... "Ironically, it's the very healthiest reefs, the ones with the healthiest coral populations, where the disease outbreaks occur," researcher John Bruno from the University of North Carolina told ABC Radio in Australia ...”

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:11   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 - "Raven"
It is with great sadness that I have personally witnessed this phenomenon (white syndrome) on the barrier reef that runs offshore along the coast of Belize and into Mexico's Yucatan peninsula. When I first began to see the bleaching (as we called it then) in the late 90's I thought that it might be a result of changes in the local environment, but the areas that I frequent are remote and seldom visited (primarily the waters around Bacalar Chico National Park and Marine Reserve in northern Belize). Today, we recognize the impacts that global changes have brought. Very sad.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:03   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
"Ironically, it's the very healthiest reefs, the ones with the healthiest coral populations, where the disease outbreaks occur," researcher John Bruno from the University of North Carolina
It sounds like over population! Much like people and forests. When too much one species gets crowded into a small area disease breaks out, thinning down the population. I would call that "natural selection". They are not so healthy if they are over populated.

Is everything going to get blamed on "Global Warming " now?

I agree there is a change in climate but it's causes and effects are questionable. Mans theories doesn’t make it true.

We are all Stewarts of the world AND UNLESS the world is under a dictatorship man will have a free choice. And for poor countries that choice is to survive at whatever cost to the environment. Ask me how I know!

The raising of gas prices just throws the poor countries back into more poverty and on & on. It’s TRUE education that the world needs not scientists and bible thumpers.

My rant for the day……………………_/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:26   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey
...It’s TRUE education that the world needs not scientists and bible thumpers.
Where best to get an (true) education on science issues, if not from scientists?

Old 09-05-2007, 14:02   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
True science deal in FACTS

If scientists were to stick to facts rather then theories, we would have TRUE science. Guessing at this and that only confuses real fact. Telling me horses came from dogs and man came from apes is not fact and they shouldn't be telling people that until they can prove it! I have as much respect for scientist as I do Jerry Falwell.

No one wants to hear about the Angel Glacier up in BC, Canada, where the scientists have recorded the glacier pushing out rows of rocks every 350 to 650 years. Scientists contradicting themselves! According to them the earth has cycles where it cools for a while and the warms for a while. But Al Gore hasn't seen that yet, I guess?

One mans guess is as good as another. See my last post, here..................._/)

You can see some of the rows here...... http://www.janrik.net/PanoPostings/C.../20050728.html
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 15:21   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Who said, . . .

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Just wondering.

TaoJones
Old 09-05-2007, 15:22   #7

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
It has been proven that the current temperature increase is not a normal cycle and is directly attributable to man's influence. If you saw Al Gores presentation, the facts are laid out in his graphs and the scientists who measured these levels and accumulated the historical data are referenced there.

It is unfortunate that those least able to change their environmental measures are the developing countries but here's a thought - why do not we in the 'have' countries share some of our wealth and technology and help them develop their economies without resorting to using old processes that pollute more. It would pay off in the long run to have them part of the global economy as quickly as possible to be a trade partner for our industires.

Sorry to digress on the global warming issue however, we can no longer deny it or ignore it. To do so would be perilous for our progeny and our future. The greedy corporations and government protectionists out there are dinosaurs and addressing this issue is becoming a global force led by common people and change will come. I for one am not going to be passive or dismissing of this global cause and I urge all to do what you can to make a change - in attitudes if nothing else.
Old 09-05-2007, 15:37   #8

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
It's also unfortunate that ol' Al won't cut down his 12 times the average American's use of energy in his house, and stop with the ridiculous purchase of "Carbon Credits" from the company that HE owns!

It's mostly a big SCAM, and I'm amazed that more people don't see through it.

Have a look at Snopes Urban Legends page.

Urban Legends Reference Pages: A Tale of Two Houses

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 15:41   #9

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Coral bleaching info on the Great Barrier Reef.

Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority :: Final Bleaching Summary Report 2005/2006

And photo's from one of my favourite areas

Pictures from the Keppel Island, January 23, 2006

and a whole page of stuff

coral bleaching at great keppel island - Google Search

Very scary stuff me think's.

Dave
Old 09-05-2007, 15:44   #10

His own house is set up for net zero carbon usage - please enlighten us on where your info is obtained from.
Old 09-05-2007, 15:53   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
Just wondering. TaoJones
U.S. President Abe Lincoln.

Old 09-05-2007, 15:54   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny
His own house is set up for net zero carbon usage - please enlighten us on where your info is obtained from.
Google "al gore carbon credit company"

It's everywhere. You can't hide from the internet.

Here's the first one:

Creators of carbon credit scheme cashing in on it

Creators of carbon credit scheme cashing in on it

By Judi McLeod
Tuesday, March 13, 2007
There's an elephant in global warming's living room that few in the mainstream media want to talk about: the creators of the carbon credit scheme are the ones cashing in on it.
The two cherub like choirboys singing loudest in the Holier Than Thou Global Warming Cathedral are Maurice Strong and Al Gore.
This duo has done more than anyone else to advance the alarmism of man-made global warming.
With little media monitoring, both Strong and Gore are cashing in on the lucrative cottage industry known as man-made global warming.
Strong is on the board of directors of the Chicago Climate Exchange, Wikipedia-described as "the world's first and North America's only legally binding greenhouse gas emission registry reduction system for emission sources and offset projects in North America and Brazil."
Gore buys his carbon off-sets from himself--the Generation Investment Management LLP, "an independent, private, owner-managed partnership established in 2004 with offices in London and Washington, D.C." of which he is both chairman and founding partner.
To hear the saving-the-earth singsong of this dynamic duo, even the feather light petals of cherry blossoms in Washington leave a bigger carbon footprint.

[SNIIPPED]
Old 09-05-2007, 15:54   #13

Sorry - resonded directly from the post forwarded to me by email that did not include your sources. I believe but could stand to be corrected that Gore has made major changes to his home that 'now' make it much more energy efficient.

In any event, Gore's corporate message and actions as opposed to Bushes seem to be diametrically opposed to their personal homes. These do not make global warming no less a fact and do not represent a good argument to refute the global warming issue. Please provide instead your scientific facts substantiated by current data from qualified environmental scientists.
Old 09-05-2007, 15:59   #14

Mars is warming. Pluto is warming. The Sun is warming. Nobody lives there either. No SUV's.

Look it up.
Old 09-05-2007, 16:03   #15

Those are cycles just like the earth used to have. The current warming trend is high due to man's influence and only over the last 50 to 60 years not thousands of years - please provide your data to disprove this.

Tags
coral, reefs