Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2014, 15:49   #106
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: Has anyone considered their Multihull as last refuge in Global Pandemic?

Hpeer- You are welcome.
You guys are my friends. I would not want to see you caught up in the stampedes of panic that we will likely see in the coming year. Instead, I want you to study the effects and reactions of people that have had to face similar in times before. See what worked and what did not.
Preparation and planning beat panic and last minute travel any day. Society is not going away, but some things are going to change (at least for a little while). I saw that they put an entire news team under quarantine at the airport today. I think some people are starting to wake up. But it is still on it's way.
Be aware of your food delivery system and also where you get your water. Can you boil your water if you loose natural gas to your home. Ebola is a large virus. Can you filter all your water if you need to? Can you clean your food enough (bleach is useful)?
I guess there may be a time when you need to leave. I think it is unwise to leave until "you have to step up to the liferaft", and this is why: You have no connections, no food if you sail to somewhere else. You have to rely on the kindness of strangers in a time when that may be sorely lacking.
That said, you may be able to equipt your ark with everything you need, sail to a place like Knight Inlet BC and survive. That would require luck, good seamanship and a incredible commitment. Rational plan for someone in downtown LA perhaps, but not really for someone like me, that has the national forest within a 10 minute walk.
I have made preparations for my love ones in my home to last. Unfortunately, if it gets that bad I will not be here. I made an oath a long time ago to serve the people in my community. I will stay at the hospital. My children and grandchildren is who I have planned for.
Old 11-10-2014, 16:01   #107

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Hpeer- You are welcome.
You guys are my friends. I would not want to see you caught up in the stampedes of panic that we will likely see in the coming year. ...
I'm as shocked as the OP that so many think this is a joking matter. I have some USMC pals getting ready to ship out to Africa from Camp LeJuene. They're not laughing and joking about dumb **** like zombies and vampires.
Old 11-10-2014, 16:10   #108

hahaha, yes, I dont think it was meant as a joke!
Old 11-10-2014, 16:10   #109

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

What! No sense of humor?
Hey, you guys just stay away from that northern green zone. We keppin it all to our selves.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:16   #110
cruiser

Texas healthcare worker tests positive for Ebola in today's news. Nobody on the frontline in the healthcare business thinks there's any humor in this development.

The disease has been infecting two to three people for each person who comes down with it. Of those infected, over 50% will die. No vaccine, combined with our inept politically correct government... the outlook is grim.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:51   #111
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Texas healthcare worker tests positive for Ebola in today's news. Nobody on the frontline in the healthcare business thinks there's any humor in this development.

The disease has been infecting two to three people for each person who comes down with it. Of those infected, over 50% will die. No vaccine, combined with our inept politically correct government... the outlook is grim.
latest on that!

UPDATE 1-Texas health care worker tests positive for Ebola | Agricultural Commodities | Reuters

how long before all emergency room staff have to be kitted up in biohazard gear to interact with the public
Old 12-10-2014, 05:10   #112
cruiser

Political correctness here in the US is placing everyone in danger. I just read something that I found unbelievable regarding an incident at the White House last month. Turns out, the knife carrying intruder jumped the high fence, then ran over 400 yards to get to the White Houses front doors while the guards did nothing, before entering the doors and then mowing down a FEMALE secret service guard, folding her like a cheap lawn chair.. She wasn't even able to slow him down as he made his way into the East room! During his 400 yard dash, she was unable to move fast enough to close and lock both doors! 'Kind of a microcosm of our government in action. Hiring the wrong person(s) for the job, then expecting them to perform when the SHTF.

If this is how the White house is protecting the president, how can we expect these incompetents to protect us from a deadly virus?

Note: It took Michael Johnson 45 seconds to cover 400 meters when he set the world record. She couldn't even close and lock two doors in the same amount of time? I assume the intruder was a little slower.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:29   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

Very sad. Maybe it's time to give the chicken little sky-is-falling jokes a rest. I doubt the affected individual or their family think anything other than the fact that their world is coming to an end.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:33   #114

pirate Re: Has anyone considered their Multihull as last refuge in Global Pandemic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
latest on that!

UPDATE 1-Texas health care worker tests positive for Ebola | Agricultural Commodities | Reuters

how long before all emergency room staff have to be kitted up in biohazard gear to interact with the public
Gotta happen.

Dunno about the rest of you but the US has needed leadership in the worst way for many years. And that's exactly what we have gotten: leadership in the worst way. Whether you have spots or stripes, someone needs to step up and make the hard decisions. Wonder if it will come down to the military?

Edit: I hit the wrong emoticon. Move along, nothin funny here.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:00   #115

While my mind is open to almost anything happening my normal skepticism bell is ringing. I think this fear of dieing that many express is why religion is so popular as it gives defined answers where in fact there are none. The part of Africa under siege right now is ripe for a virus like Ebola as their medical facilities are almost non- existent but you can hardly compare Africa with a first world nation. Do I think people from other parts of the world will contact this virus and pass it on to others, yes I do but I don't believe its going to be anywhere near as bad as many of you predict. I do believe it will have an effect on economies as it doesn't take much to scare the masses so right now I'd sell stock in anything to do with travel. Its going to get much worse before it gets better but its my opinion that it will run its course, mostly in Africa.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:48   #116
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Perhaps the greatest impact will be through finding out exactly how incompetent and ineffectual we have become. I read stories of nurses quitting, baggage handlers on strike, testing and disposal agencies refusing to assist.

If we have a bad outbreak here it may be because the front line people are unwilling to do the necessary job. Not sure I blame them for it seems pretty obvious we don't know how this thing is transmitted, or are not being honest about it.

I can imagine a wholesale breakdown in trust in any authority figure, not that we have much to start with. That is dangerous because it can lead to either a weakening of the social ties or a strong arm, totalitarian type government.

As sailors we tend to appreciate our freedoms. They may be at risk.

In any case, we have our sailboat and a cabin in a green zone. that is some solace.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:08   #117
cruiser

Doesn't sound like Ebola is as difficult to contract as the CDC was telling us.
Health worker who tested positive for Ebola was wearing full protective gear

• Reuters
  • A HEALTH CARE WORKER at a Dallas hospital who tested positive for Ebola Sunday was wearing full protective gear when providing care for Thomas Eric Duncan, the Ebola patient who died last week after being diagnosed in the US, health officials say.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:13   #118

Check out the ad just below that last post:

I doubt that it's about ebola but I'm not clickin to find out.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:50   #119
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Is there a crop "dust" for Ebola?

Not that I am aware of, post was about Malaria, which could almost be eliminated by spraying for the mosquitos
Old 12-10-2014, 13:03   #120

Boat: Gib sea 43

To those who think our Western healthcare will save us, how many ebola patients will it take to bring the first class service you get to its knees? Not many. How long before workers don't turn up out of fear? one case in Spain and they are quitting their jobs!

Yeah our super hygiene will save us... Get real.. Talk about being in DENIAL, or maybe just believing the hype on TV

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
Closed Thread

Tags
hull, multihull