Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2020, 10:54   #271

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Funny Things that 'Foreigners' Do -

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
It is not a lack of sidewalks or electric garage door opener but air conditioning, lack of a porch and TV that has caused be to see less of each other.

I have never seen a neighbor hood with out a sidewalk. Most of the new subdivisions have them and they are putting in porches in many of the developments I have seen down here.

I used to have a dog and lived in the 'burbs. The dog and I would go for a walk every evening through our neighborhood and the one next to us. We would seldom see people outside. Even kids where inside. You would only see people come home from work and disappear into the house...

Then Hurricane Fran paid a visit and the power went out in the neighborhood next to ours for over a week. It was amazing to see people outside talking, sitting on their porches if they had one, and the kids playing in yards and streets...

Then the power went back on and the people all disappeared back in the house.

With no power there was no AC so they went outside to cool off. With no power there was no TV or other electronic entertainment. Once that power appeared the people disappeared.

Later,
Dan
You can observe the same behavior in cruising boat anchorages around the world I remember a time when you'd see dinghies going back and forth to work on this generator, or that engine, or the jammed sail on the other one. That still happens among a subset, but many more now take these problems to a marina and there's no interaction with the neighbor on the next boat over that happens to have the necessary expertise.
Old 15-10-2020, 13:34   #272

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

When almost everybody had rowing dinghies, one would meet and chat from boat to boat as one rowed ashore. Some of us took our inflatables and rowed them the same, for the visiting. It could take till almost lunch time to get from boat to boat to boat to shore.....

It has changed. More elder cruisers, with more money, and less interesting in doing things themselves. It reminds me of a woman cruiser friend of ours, who had a female yacht club member chide her, while she was aloft sewing on a spreader boot. The gist was that my friend "shouldn't be doing that." It might have been okay in the other woman's view had it been her husband doing the spreader boot, I don't know, wasn't there. However, there is an attitude that people run into, about blue and pink jobs, as well as "we're wealthy enough to pay to have menial work done."

There are still plenty of capable folks cruising, though.

Ann
Old 15-10-2020, 13:44   #273

Boat: no boat any more

today's cruiser-problem (apart from Corona) has 3 letters:
G P S!!!
there would be less, far less of them in Tahiti, if they'd have to navigate with sextant exclusively, far less...
Old 01-11-2020, 05:04   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Honking car horns. Here in Hawaii it is extremely rude to honk your horn except in extreme dangerous situations. We can always tell if you are from another part of the world if you honk your horn. ....
In Bolivia it is common at a stoplight for motorists back in the queue to honk at those in front to signal that the light has turned green. Lights are often so poorly situated that those in front can't see the lights properly. The honk is a quick tap, not a long blare.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:41   #275

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaginaryNumber View Post
In Bolivia it is common at a stoplight for motorists back in the queue to honk at those in front to signal that the light has turned green. Lights are often so poorly situated that those in front can't see the lights properly. The honk is a quick tap, not a long blare.
Here in the US I use the long blare to move attention from screen to road. Often!

Tags
funny