Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2008, 16:36   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Fossett's Plane Wreckage Found

As a true adventurer, Steve Fosset knew how to push the envelope. As a pilot and sailor I was always a little jealous of this successful adventurer.

When his Bellanca went missing, I grabbed a piece of sattelite jpeg and scoured it for wreckage. Well, a hiker has found the crash site and it was confirmed that human remains are there as well.

NTSB: Remains found at Steve Fossett wreckage site - Yahoo! News

He lived well and I hope he is on an adventure in a comlpetely different plane of existence.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 17:24   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Rest in Piece Mr. Fossett:

I was wondering what could have happened and the above article pretty much answered it: Fly into Terra Firma at high speed will do it every time.

Adventure is great, but not when you get older: Let the young 'uns go and prove themself. The old ones ought to sit in the shade and drink martinis.

CSY Man...Ex-Alaskan bush pilot and adventurer 25 years ago. Now sitting in the shade drinking martinis.
Old 02-10-2008, 20:32   #3

Boat: Beneteau 473
[quote

Adventure is great, but not when you get older: Let the young 'uns go and prove themself. The old ones ought to sit in the shade and drink martinis.

CSY Man...Ex-Alaskan bush pilot and adventurer 25 years ago. Now sitting in the shade drinking martinis. [/quote]

Are you kidding me CSY Man!

When you stop yearning for adventure its over baby!
Flying around has nothing to do with with proving anything any more than pushing the envelope on a sailboat or doing anything others might categorize as adventurous.

I think Fossett sets a fine example for all of us. Never stop, never give up and never ever say I'm too old for that.

Just do it. what ever "it" is.

I am a little dismayed that they found human remains. What a fine mystery we would have if he had just vanished. A tale to rival DB Cooper.

I'm 50 and I have been fortunate enough to live a life of extreme adventure for more than 30 years. If I knew I would have lived this long of course I would have taken better care of my body. But that's another sad tale.

I am a pilot, a skydiver, a scuba diver, a sailor, a climber, a naked warrior, a whatever a want to be.

Tonight I was lucky enough to be with several friends who I have worked with for many many years and we made a toast to Steve Fossett and others like him who don't say "I'm too old for that"

Here we say "play hard, we'll sleep when we're dead"
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 23:38   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I just hope at 50 (3 years) I had the abs of that guy in your avatar.

Adventure for me these days is switching beer brands - LOL

Seriously - I am with you Bill. Skydiver, pilot, water and snow skier, scuba, sailor. Reach out and do it...

"You get to heaven and God says - You had the oceans, the mountains, the lakes. You had wildlife, stars, sun, rain, snow, rainbows. You had an endless variety of food and drink.

You Moron! That was heaven. And you spent 40 years in a cubicle? Idiot..."
Old 03-10-2008, 00:33   #5

Boat: not yet!
I did not know Steve myself but he was a highly regarded part of my community. Will be missed. I am sure I will not be liked by saying so, but, maybe this is how he wanted to go out. Peace!
jennsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:47   #6

Boat: 36' Magellan "Steady Beat"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentOption View Post
When you stop yearning for adventure its over baby!
Flying around has nothing to do with with proving anything any more than pushing the envelope on a sailboat or doing anything others might categorize as adventurous.
Fossett was a good pilot. He crashed and died because he failed to recognize the dangers of flying in the Sierra Nevada mountains. He got too close, the wind eddies sucked him right into the face of that mountain and there was nothing he could do about it.

May his family now find closure. My condolences.
BlueWaterSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:29   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Crews to continue scouring Fossett crash site (with photo’s):
The Associated Press: Crews to continue scouring Fossett crash site

Hiker called film company before police after finding Fossett crash
Hiker called film company before police after finding Fossett crash | www.rgj.com | Reno Gazette-Journal

Photos of Steve Fossett's crash site were selling for $1,000 Thursday afternoon, just hours after authorities announced the plane wreckage found in mountains above Mammoth Lakes, Calif ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fossett licence.jpeg
Views:	228
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	5326  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:12   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWaterSail View Post
Fossett was a good pilot. He crashed and died because he failed to recognize the dangers of flying in the Sierra Nevada mountains. He got too close, the wind eddies sucked him right into the face of that mountain and there was nothing he could do about it.

May his family now find closure. My condolences.
Yes its nice when mistakes only end up costing us money.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:42   #9
Shu

Boat: Down East Yacht, 42' Danser Nu
Fossett died as he lived...

Steve Fossett died as he lived pushing his limits and loving every moment of it. He was an adventurer for sure, his records prove that beyond a doubt and what better way for you to go than doing what you love. Maybe he wasn't setting a new record at the moment. Maybe he wasn't creating new dreams for others to persue, but he was definately on the edge when he went or he would not have wound up in that situation.
Who knows, maybe he drove that plane in full power. He was in turbulent weather, having a problem that would take him down and knew he may linger through a slow death with wounds, starvation or animals and didn't want that so maybe, just maybe he drove the plane in to be sure!
He was definately a clear and concise thinker and decision maker.
God bless him whatever the case, he was an inspiration to many!
Old 06-10-2008, 18:20   #10

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

It's amazing. The NTSB hasn't even made ruling, yet this expert knows exactly what happened. Just like sailing, hundreds of different things can go wrong. The ultimate answer right now is that he definitely got too close to the ground for reasons UNKNOWN...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 19:05   #11

I read the post in question and I'm not sure it was actually meant in the context you perceive.
At the risk of insulting anyone and that is absolutely not my intent here I think we need to realize when communicating on the worldwide web as we are there are many many people who are doing the best they can to express their thoughts in English. Sometimes things come across in a way they might not have intended.

That said I understand what you mean about comments regarding the circumstances of an accident. I frequent a flying forum and a scuba forum and accidents always seem to bring out the experts. They know what happened before they even know the facts.
As a pilot I could make a lot of assumptions about this incident just based on the capabilities of the plane. the altitude and the typical conditions in the environment Fossett was flying in. I think the real answer is and will be "cause undetermined".

No matter what the NTSB learns from the wreckage I don't believe, based on what I have read, there will be any way of knowing if the pilot had a heart attack or was in some other way incapacitated.
Without that bit of information the conclusion is inconclusive in my opinion.
Old 06-10-2008, 19:23   #12

Boat: Catalina 34MKII
Shu, I am with you. The man had cajones, and obviously the mind to survive lots of adventures. We should all be so lucky!
Old 06-10-2008, 21:08   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentOption View Post
As a pilot I could make a lot of assumptions about this incident just based on the capabilities of the plane. the altitude and the typical conditions in the environment Fossett was flying in. I think the real answer is and will be "cause undetermined".
Ditto - It's worth repeating that this was Fossett's "backyard." He knew the territory, knew the terrain and as far as I know an experienced mountain flyer.

The best course of action is to wait for the NTSB report.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:10   #14

Boat: 36' Magellan "Steady Beat"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santana View Post
It's amazing. The NTSB hasn't even made ruling, yet this expert knows exactly what happened.
Unnecessary and inflammatory.

"Mother Nature has no conscience" - if not attributable to anyone, I'll sign my name to it.

BWS
BlueWaterSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:05   #15

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
Like the newspaper pix that show dead victims I am miffed that a human being could ever concoct to 'sell' pictures of a crash site...I worked as a firefighter emti and we went to great lengths to prevent the ghoul photographers from taking pictures of drown victims or auto deaths. The Boston Herald is known for that stuff...I still cringe when I think of them headlining the picture of the Army Ranger being dragged behind a jeep in Somalia...I suppose the answer is to not buy that stuff???

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote